Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think some of you guys are getting caught up the weeds and missing the point of the OP as I understood it at least. Nobody is questioning or denigrating the levels of disability or whether it’s earned or not or anything of the kind.

MAGA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s pretty common out here to meet a 30something year old with a disability rating for falling off a supply truck or rolling an ankle fugking around on a loading dock. It sure seems like a scam for many folks.

Almost like the Gov is pushing socialized medicine......

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by ribka
Over the last year I’ve had occasion to be associated with three different business owners that claim to be “disabled veteran owned businesses”. I know for a fact that 2 of them served in areas where they saw no combat, one was on a sub, one in the Seabees. I was at first really surprised when they made the claim, and it’s opened up business opportunities/money making opportunities for them they otherwise wouldn’t realize.

My question is for combat vets. What’s your feeling on this? I honestly feel conflicted over whether I even have the right to question it since I’ve never served myself, but it’s hard not to feel like it’s a form of stolen valor.

ridiculous of course. a navy friend has 90 per cent disability due to sleep apnea. never got within 10,000 miles of combat

Is it ridiculous knowing that he may have had repeatedly shifting sleep cycles from going from a 6 hour duty cycle while at sea to a traditional 16/8 cycle on shore for several years? I’m not an expert on sleep apnea, but I know my sleep is still totally effed up since I worked a 24 on, 18 off cycle/ then back to a normal cycle for many years. Screwing with the body clock can really mess with a guy for a long time. I guess that goes back to my earlier post which I have mixed opinions on how much an employer should compensate someone for the messed up things they made their employees do.

They didn’t “make them do” it they signed on. If your injury isn’t combat related, you’re not a disabled veteran. You’re a disabled worker. You’re taking away the respect owed to a guy with limbs blown off defending his country. Just quit it.

Just quit it huh? I guess you didn’t really want us combat vets’ opinions then.

Do you think that VA disability should only apply to combat wounded then? I think that opinion has merit, but that’s not what you asked.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I think some of you guys are getting caught up the weeds and missing the point of the OP as I understood it at least. Nobody is questioning or denigrating the levels of disability or whether it’s earned or not or anything of the kind.

I’ve met a few that I call bullschit on.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Over the last year I’ve had occasion to be associated with three different business owners that claim to be “disabled veteran owned businesses”. I know for a fact that 2 of them served in areas where they saw no combat, one was on a sub, one in the Seabees. I was at first really surprised when they made the claim, and it’s opened up business opportunities/money making opportunities for them they otherwise wouldn’t realize.

My question is for combat vets. What’s your feeling on this? I honestly feel conflicted over whether I even have the right to question it since I’ve never served myself, but it’s hard not to feel like it’s a form of stolen valor.

ridiculous of course. a navy friend has 90 per cent disability due to sleep apnea. never got within 10,000 miles of combat

Is it ridiculous knowing that he may have had repeatedly shifting sleep cycles from going from a 6 hour duty cycle while at sea to a traditional 16/8 cycle on shore for several years? I’m not an expert on sleep apnea, but I know my sleep is still totally effed up since I worked a 24 on, 18 off cycle/ then back to a normal cycle for many years. Screwing with the body clock can really mess with a guy for a long time. I guess that goes back to my earlier post which I have mixed opinions on how much an employer should compensate someone for the messed up things they made their employees do.

They didn’t “make them do” it they signed on. If your injury isn’t combat related, you’re not a disabled veteran. You’re a disabled worker. You’re taking away the respect owed to a guy with limbs blown off defending his country. Just quit it.

Do you think that VA disability should only apply to combat wounded then? I think that opinion has merit, but that’s not what you asked.
Are you really arguing that working swing shifts/long hours should grant disabled veteran status? JFC……. You’re delusional.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not a veteran. Want that to be clear.

I look at veteran status like Christianity.

If I know that about you, if I learn it about you in a way that
isn't you using it as self promotion, you jump up in status and
I'll support you more.

But, if you trot it out. If you try to use it to gain status or think it
makes you more credible, you done crapped in your hat with me.

Gotta wonder. "Why do they feel the need to bring that into a simple
business deal?"

Can't run a con without building confidence.
Religion and Veteran are two of the best ways to do it.

This isn't anti Vet.

Think back 50 years.
How many WWII vets had their status posted everywhere?

I feel the same way

Yep, I am a Veteran, and agree with all of that. Matter of fact, when I see a website with some front & center proclamation "Owned by a disabled vet" I subconsciously, or maybe consciously, begin an eye-roll.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
A big thank you to every man that left a part of his physical or mental self on the battlefield. If you’re riding the paper cut injury in the clerks office, Fugk off.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I’ve met a few that I call bullschit on.

I work with one that is on 100% disability but still “functions” in a job that if it were true would be impossible. Not debating that lol. Just that some folks get awful touchy when that gets brought up.

As I understood the OP, it was the over use of the “disabled vet” sympathy card to drum up business or donations. As someone who never served I understand his awkwardness is posing the question. As a descendant, relative , and friend of many who did serve and never used it as a crutch I have formed my own opinion.

MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Are you really arguing that working swing shifts/long hours should grant disabled veteran status? JFC……. You’re delusional.

That’s not what I said. I said that constantly changing shifts can screw with you sleep cycle… I left the notion that whether or not that constitutes a disability is open to mixed opinion.

It’s obvious to me that you didn’t start this thread to get the opinions of combat vets. You started this thread to opine on the disability system. At least be honest.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’m a vet, and yes, I volunteered. However, during my 32 years in the service, there were things I had to do that resulted in accelerated wear and tear on my body that were unlikely to happen in a civilian job. Whether I had to do them because I was ordered to, or I had to do them to lead those I was privileged and entrusted to lead by example, or to not let the team down, it really doesn’t matter. It’s part of the culture. When I joined, I signed a contract. The other signatory to that contract committed to taking care of me if they broke me. While I am not combat wounded, I have issues caused by my service and have no shame in receiving the benefits they committed to. Some may accuse me of milking the system. I disagree. I held up my end of the contract and they are holding up theirs. However, I rarely speak of it, and would not use it to my advantage in dealing with others.

Old70

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you say so. It's obvious you've never spent years in 40 foot seas pulling guys from sinking crab boats.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age

If you say so. It's obvious you've never spent years in 40 foot seas pulling guys from sinking crab boats.
Coastguard Scott Steelhead?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a guy that lost his foot pulling out guys on a sinking ship, no combat, just typical Coast Guard rescue stuff. Is that enough for those that never served?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I should stay out of this, but I’ve been drinking a bit, so here it goes lol!

In the early 2000’s I was a crew chief in the Army in UH-60’s. One evening at 6 or 7pm, while just washing a helicopter, I was called to ask if we had a bird ready…. We did…. The Air Force Rescue guys had a call, but all of their birds were down for maintenance. We called in a couple pilots, and the 3 of us flew over to the AF base to pick up a couple of Pararescuemen. We picked them up and flew about 45 minutes to the scene of an airplane accident- a Cessna hit a river bank on landing. The PJ’s stabilized one of the adults that had severe back injuries. Another adult just had a broken arm. There was a 4 year old boy who appeared uninjured. As the PJ’s worked on the injured adult, (and took up all the room in the back of the helicopter), I strapped the kid into my seat at the gunner’s window, and I rode back in my harness hanging mostly outside the helicopter.

We dropped the patients and the PJ’s off at the hospital, and we flew back to our Army airfield. Once we landed and shut down, I took all of the PJ’s gear, loaded it up into a pickup truck, and drive it back to the hospital to return it to them.

When I got there, one of the PJ’s was out in the parking lot crying. It turns out the 4 year old boy had a severe brain injury and died. The PJ blamed himself for not seeing the signs, and concentrating on the adult with the back injury. That PJ later won the Silver Star in Afghanistan. He now is 100% disabled for PTSD. He told me that that little boy still haunts his dreams, and THAT is why he has PTSD.

Does he deserve it? I see both sides of the argument- civilian medics deal with that kind of stuff all the time. Yet, this Silver Star winning combat vet is still really messed up from it. I don’t know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[bleep] an a he deserves it.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Geno67
[bleep] an a he deserves it.
I tend to agree, but jackmountain seems to think that unless your injuries were in combat, then you’re not a veteran.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I read that there are quite a few claiming injuries in basic training, then they're a disabled vet for life. Huge uptick in this in the past decade according to what I read.

Went to neighbors in Fl. for Christmas dinner, everybody in the family is a government worker of some type.
Lad 23 years old is saying he's out of the army ''disabled'' after 2 1/2 years, just waiting for the paperwork to get through the system.

I asked him what happened? He said ''back'' and nothing more, 10 minutes later he's in the backyard swinging his 40lbs. son. Wide leg stance swinging the boy then up high and tossing him into the air 6-8 inches, boy laughing a lot. I said be careful you'll hurt your back , he didn't say anything nor even look at me. Just a POS out to get anything he can the easiest way he can.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sleep apnea is only 50% max.. he has other disability ratings to go with that..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I know a guy that lost his foot pulling out guys on a sinking ship, no combat, just typical Coast Guard rescue stuff. Is that enough for those that never served?

That’s a job related injury.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is a difference between a disabled veteran and a combat wounded veteran. To me they both deserve benefits.

I do hate to see anyone wrapping themselves in the flag to thump their chest or for business benefits/ gains

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (257 mag, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 22 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.