Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As to Gettysburg, an excellent read is “Retreat from Gettysburg”

Lee actually did an excellent job of moving his forces from that battlefield back to Virginia. There was a lot of Cavalry action including Custer attacking and harassing the supply trains and forces heading south. Despite the pressure, Lee was able to get the majority of the supplies his forces collected back to Virginia.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scoony
As to Gettysburg, an excellent read is “Retreat from Gettysburg”

Lee actually did an excellent job of moving his forces from that battlefield back to Virginia. There was a lot of Cavalry action including Custer attacking and harassing the supply trains and forces heading south. Despite the pressure, Lee was able to get the majority of the supplies his forces collected back to Virginia.
Yeah but the South was pretty much doomed right then and there. The main reason he was in the North was to take from the fat of the land for his Army and to take a northern Capitol. Virginia was lean and pretty picked clean and by returning he was leading his men and horses right back into starvation

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Today I bought Custer and the Little Bighorn by Jim Donovan.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Today I bought Custer and the Little Bighorn by Jim Donovan.

Great book! Well written with lots of pictures…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Indian time estimation at the Little Bighorn relating to Reno’s initial attack just came across this and found it interesting.....

From Pretty White Buffalo Woman AKA Mrs. Spotted Horn Bull, had to be before 1890, the footnotes have it that Spotted Horn Bull was killed along with Sitting Bull at the time of that attempted arrest

https://www.astonisher.com/archives/museum/mrs_spotted_horn_bull_little_big_horn.html#water

”The shadow of the sun had not moved the width of a teepee pole’s length from the beginning to the end of the first fight.”

I sometimes have had my students observe the speed at which a shadow moves, the motion of which they were previously clueless.

I would imagine Mrs Spotted Horn Bull had multiple opportunities to observe the movement of the sun relative to how wide teepee poles were. I’m wondering if it were a common expression relating to a short period of time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Other than Himself ..Custer lost 2 Brothers , Uncle and a Nephew at the Little Bighorn ..
Something I didn’t know till Recently..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wild West magazine is the only magazine I still purchase regularly. The current issue (June 2022) has an article on Custer’s horses. Seen here held by Custer’s Orderly Pvt. John Burkman, (who survived the fight on Reno’s Hill). Dandy on the left and Vic on the right.

Note the wolfhounds in the pic. Dandy was wounded but survived alongside Pvt. Burkman.

Vic was a blooded thoroughbred who’s widely esteemed dam the article states had been owned by Henry Clay. Custer was riding Vic at the battle, fate of the horse unknown.

Dandy (a mixed blood) is identified as Custer’s favorite warhorse since he had acquired him from an army consignment eight years earlier. Apparently Custer had ridden Dandy overnight and earlier that day, switching to the famously swift Vic going in.

Dandy was later given to Custer’s father and somewhat celebrated as a survivor of the fight.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've had a copy of Philbrick's The Last Stand on the bookshelf for a while.

Finished this morning.

Good read.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Came accross this, I have been away from the campfire a few days. I am always fascinated by Custer and the LBH. Visited LBH once. I really want to go back there sometime and see it again.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by akrange
Other than Himself ..Custer lost 2 Brothers , Uncle and a Nephew at the Little Bighorn ..

Custer had no uncle at the LBH…

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’m just finishing rereading Philbick on my Nook as well.
As I said, between the Alamo and LBH, the two of them easily make up over a quarter of my library! cool
They have transcripts of each day’s testimony from The Reno Court Of Inquiry available on there, so I’ll probably get into that later on.
I know it was a whitewash of any survivor responsibility, but I figure that it also contains a lot of information about the campaign and battle itself, so it should be worthwhile.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akrange
There were 5 members of the Custer family killed that day.
George Armstrong himself, younger brothers Tom and Boston, a nephew, “Autie” Reed, and Captain James Calhoun, who was married to George’s younger sister Maggie.
I’d have hated to be in Ft Lincoln that morning when the news was broken to Elizabeth and Maggie. In addition to the two, there were 29 other soldier’s wives who were now widows.
I believe I read somewhere that “Vic” was actually a mare. I believe In “Son Of The Morning Star” that Burkman, who was responsible for Custer’s horses,
stated so. I’d have to go back and find it.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.