Indian time estimation at the Little Bighorn relating to Reno’s initial attack just came across this and found it interesting.....

From Pretty White Buffalo Woman AKA Mrs. Spotted Horn Bull, had to be before 1890, the footnotes have it that Spotted Horn Bull was killed along with Sitting Bull at the time of that attempted arrest

https://www.astonisher.com/archives/museum/mrs_spotted_horn_bull_little_big_horn.html#water

”The shadow of the sun had not moved the width of a teepee pole’s length from the beginning to the end of the first fight.”

I sometimes have had my students observe the speed at which a shadow moves, the motion of which they were previously clueless.

I would imagine Mrs Spotted Horn Bull had multiple opportunities to observe the movement of the sun relative to how wide teepee poles were. I’m wondering if it were a common expression relating to a short period of time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744