Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by elkcountry
I Love this thread! I’m obsessed with two battles in history, Gettysburg and Little Big Horn! I can’t read enough about both battles. I’ve been to Gettysburg and was in absolute awe and amazement. I will one day visit LBH and am sure I will have the same feelings!

Interesting you mention Gettysburg and another little known Custer engagement. Custer turned Jeb Stuart around, who was supposed to come in the backside and crush the Union between himself and Lee.

All you hear about is Pickett’s charge and Chamberlain at Little Roundtop, not realizing the action of Custer and his 600 Michigan Wolverines, chasing Stuart off and probably saving the day for the Union.

“The Custer Myth” by W A Graham, is one of the best books to find out more factual information than regurgitated stories told to people that get rewritten by different authors with no insight. Graham actually corresponded personally with Benteen and others that survived the battle. This book was written from Graham’s contacts and research in the early 20th century when much of the information wasn’t as polluted as it has become.

A most excellent book, great detail on the Stewart beat down (Stewart was over rated). That said and slightly off topic, but had Stewart gone through with his charge on the Union rear, he would have run into the massive reserves behind the Union lines and he probably would have been defeated. The loss at Gettysburg rests entirely on Lee's shoulders.
I assume you mean "Stuart"? As in James Ewell Brown Stuart?