Originally Posted by moosemike
"George Armstrong Custer. Custer was assigned to the division of Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick but happened to be on loan to David Gregg and requested permission from Gregg to join his fight. Altogether, 3,250 Union troopers opposed Stuart."

Understood, and Custer was never alone in any battle, it was what he did with the cavalry that he had command of that was so decisive. He was not "wait and see," he was always on the attack and with what would be considered a small force against superior odds.

Perfect? no, but as good as Grant or any other general was a tactician, Custer was as good or better, leading men into battle and that is what wins wars.

Growing up in Montana, I was embarrassed to see we had a forest, a county, a town and other notable geographic locations named after a pompous killer that attacked a large gathering of noble Indians camping on the plains of Montana.

It wasn't until I started investigating the Custer Battlefield (that is what they named it and I will still refer to it as that) that I learned of his exploits during the Civil War and subsequent conflicts with Indians and his leading several expeditions on the frontier, that I came to know more of who Custer was and wasn't...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]