Originally Posted by rainshot
I read that Sherman appointed Phil Sheridan because he hated the Indians as much as he and Grant did. They all wanted them eradicated. There was enough mayhem to go around. The Army would attack villages and murder innocent women and children. They broke every treaty they made with the Indians. The Indians in turn would rape, murder torture and pillage settlers. Custer made a treaty with the Sous a few years I think before Little Big Horn that gave them the Black Hills but the discovery of gold there rendered that treaty null. His mission was to destroy but it got turned upside down. It is a sad part of our history. The Indians won that battle but were destined to loose the war.

Sounds like some revisionist history to me...there's a nice timeline of massacres and events leading up to the battle in the ranger's station. And, although everyone seems to vilify Custer...iirc the Crow really liked him because he represented their interests against the Sioux. There's also some talk of an Indian mistress with Custer, I'm not sure if it's a myth or what.

I'm really interested in the whole scenario since I spent some time out there last year. I'll get to reading about it more once I retire next year.

PS Not trying to be argumentative...just throwing my two cents out there. If I'm wrong then Mea Culpa.

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 05/29/22.