Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Well, I’m working on flexibility of thought and I’m open to other ideas.

We originally considered Texas but property taxes are through the roof.

I need to be close to salt water fishing and my wife wants to live on water. Not just a water view but like a dock or a pier on the water.

Any more ideas?

I live in Central MS, but have family and another good friend in Pensacola, FL. I believe if I were going to move near the ocean again it would be there. Great fishing for sure. You can catch inshore snapper and grouper in Pensacola bay. My buddy fishes offshore and inshore there all the time and you name it he catches it regularly.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m from there.

I currently live in Baldwin County, Alabama. The demographics are much better, the taxes are lower, and what you are searching for can be found near The Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay. If you want fresh water, Would be worth looking into. No way I’d move to the Ms Gulf Coast for retirement or any other reason. Schools in Baldwin County along with current demographics keep the property values higher.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's probably good reasons so many choose Florida as a residence to retire at.

It seems half the retirees in Florida have a summer home somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains.

Great place to spend those blistering hot days of Hurricane season, they come home after the Fall color change in the mountains.

480 miles from my place on the Gulf in Florida to my favorite mountain trout stream outside of Ellijay Ga.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You sure do live well Jeff.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JeffA
There's probably good reasons so many choose Florida as a residence to retire at.

It seems half the retirees in Florida have a summer home somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains.

Great place to spend those blistering hot days of Hurricane season, they come home after the Fall color change in the mountains.

480 miles from my place on the Gulf in Florida to my favorite mountain trout stream outside of Ellijay Ga.

you figured it out

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and OH by the way, I'll sell you my 1 BR 2 BA condo ~700 sq ft beachside in OB for $425k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thing is, the exploratory journey Pharmseller is embarking on in search of retirement country has been completed and conquered a million times over.

All he has to do is observe what others have done, research why they did it and when the little light bulb goes off he can make his move.

But I think Pharmseller is having a hard time parting with his sweet homestead in Oregon.
Every few years he makes a post claiming he's gonna sell in a few years...I don't think he's going nowhere, don't tell him I said that.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Your secret is safe with us.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You sure do live well Jeff.

I try, took a long time to get here.

I've spent the last 30 summers in Montana and Alaska.
Got chased out of the Flathead last year due to forest fire smoke and ended up working my azz off for free east of the divide for some ungrateful, miserable bastereds.

Been hesitant to reenact that this year so I'm thinking of sticking to the southeast. I've frequented the Appalachians a bit but not a lot, might get to know the area better over the next few months.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, I’m working on flexibility of thought and I’m open to other ideas.

We originally considered Texas but property taxes are through the roof.

I need to be close to salt water fishing and my wife wants to live on water. Not just a water view but like a dock or a pier on the water.

Any more ideas?

Personal pier? Might be tough. WILL be expensive. Little Lagoon in Gulf Shores, Perdido Bay around Orange Beach, bay & lagoon stuff around Pensacola/Gulf Breeze. Not up on your first choice of Mississippi but lots of good feedback from others.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thing is, the exploratory journey Pharmseller is embarking on in search of retirement country has been completed and conquered a million times over.

All he has to do is observe what others have done, research why they did it and when the little light bulb goes off he can make his move.

But I think Pharmseller is having a hard time parting with his sweet homestead in Oregon.
Every few years he makes a post claiming he's gonna sell in a few years...I don't think he's going nowhere, don't tell him I said that.

Make no mistake, it’ll be tough to leave, but the place is too big and too much work.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And I’d love to be someplace I could fish more, instead of being at the mercy of the conditions. This weekend out of Newport NOAA is showing a small craft advisory with 26 kt winds and 15 feet combined seas. Not uncommon for this time of year.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
FLA doesn’t tax retirement income either.

Hmmm…

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I’ll take it.

I survive off bird dog fees

These places go in a flash.
The first one has been listed about a week, the second one with the pool has been posted for 2 days.

Have cash in hand and be quick.

I don't believe it.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Hmmm…

Lots to like there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Port St. Joe area for me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
Port St. Joe area for me.

Sure looks nice but Zillow shows high dollar.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hmmm…

And no inheritance tax.

Florida does not have a separate state inheritance tax. Even further, heirs and beneficiaries in Florida do not pay income tax on any monies received from an estate because inherited property does not count as income for Federal income tax purposes (and Florida does not have a separate income tax).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
These places go in a flash.
The first one has been listed about a week, the second one with the pool has been posted for 2 days.
Have cash in hand and be quick.
I don't believe it.

This one had been on the market for 2 days when I posted it here, they landed a contract on it inside of 1 week.

Here's another dandy in Ocean Springs, 2800sf
Built in 1978

9833 Pointe Aux Chenes Rd,
Ocean Springs, MS, 39564

[Linked Image from d1ja9tyo8nbkbc.cloudfront.net]

This is a beautiful secluded property on a peninsula in desirable Ocean Springs with a Gulf view. At an elevation of over 25ft this home has not flooded. The property has an incredible history going back to the 1800's. Surrounded by gorgeous oak trees and camellias. The house was remodeled three years ago and has a very coastal style and is like being on vacation. New kitchen cabinets and countertops were installed, large walk in pantry, the master bathroom was redone featuring hand painted tiles by Chris Stebly, grandson of Walter Anderson in the walk in shower. There is a large walk in closet in the master bedroom off of the bathroom. Electrical, water heater and the septic tank were also replaced. The brick floors in the living room and around the fireplace came from the old Gulfport Courthouse. The barn wood in the office/game room was salvaged from the old Deer Ranch which was a popular tourist attraction in Gulfport. There is a screened in in-ground pool. Perfect for entertaining!!! You really have to see it to appreciate how amazing this home is.

https://www.rockethomes.com/homes/9833-pointe-aux-chenes-rd-ocean-springs-ms-39564

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We moved to Florida a little over two years ago; and it seems like just in time. The price of properties has nearly doubled in that time, and they sell real quick. We landed at very high elevation (125 feet) 10 minutes inland. Came from 8250 feet in Colorado, where forest fires were getting to be an everyday occurrence. I can fish anytime I want, even in bad weather, but the open ocean is a long ride out and I stick to inshore among the islands. I enjoy the Rebel Influence around these parts, and don't miss the woke-ass granola crunchers that ruined Colorado.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah. I have a neighbor that listed his $500K house for $935K a couple months ago. He managed to get a contract signed last week for $899K.
Waterfront is always sought after and brings a premium.

Where you at along the 'Nature Coast' Plumdog?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.