Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Chickens are really hard around here. You've got to surround it with an electric fence to try and stop the bears, but many times they will take the shock and tear it down just to get to the chickens.
You just need a good rooster. grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
I like PB and eat quite a bit - the natural kind that one has to stir for quite a while to get the oil mixed with the good stuff.

I don't eat Jif and am not certain that it is peanut butter. But, it lasts. In 2000 I bought two jars of Jif - one for each garage - handy bait for rodent traps. It works well.

When we relocated, I brought both of those jars down here - one for each garage. Still use that Jif as bait - looks and smells same as it did 22 years ago. What is in that stuff?

CCCC:
Good morning to you sir, I trust that you and yours are doing well and you're getting the weather you all need.

Please note that this is a guess on my part, so that said here's what I know about that - as they say.

As my personal tastes in peanut butter changed throughout life, that is to say going to more all peanut types, I noticed that in my role as "rodent killer and trapper/shop and life trouble shooter" that my usual go to for mouse traps worked less well. For clarification, ever since I was quite young, it was my chore to deal with unwanted rodents and general yard pests. I'm told and read in the Good Book that we're all given some gifts in life and one of mine apparently is a proficiency at removing unwanted and problem pests.

When I found that the mice didn't take to the 100% peanut butter which again is my "go to" bait of choice, I began to read the label on the other brands and in most cases the second ingredient listed was sugar.

The light went on - even for a Canuck redneck it is possible from time to time for that to happen - contrary to popular belief.

Sugar doesn't really deteriorate quickly, well if at all in some cases and it's my guess that the amount of sugar in the 22 year old Jiff is sufficient to keep it that way.

Nowadays when I'm baiting the trapline in the garage for mice, the bait of choice is whatever 100% peanut butter I've got open mixed with powdered sugar with about a 2:1 ratio of sugar to peanut butter.

Since you're a fellow rodent trapper, I'll add that I always tune the release with the bait loaded onto the trip pad so it'll let go with the first rodential samplings of my sugary confection...

Did I happen to mention I hate most rodents, but especially mice and rats? Hate is of course a strong word and I use it deliberately here.

Hope that was useful for you or someone out there. Hopefully also the peanut butter shortage for those who are experiencing it is the worst thing they encounter.

All the best and God Bless.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
not uncommon, but don't know about a bear.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Well I had some of that recalled Jif, grandson's favorite brand, I have both skippy and Jif in the food storage cabinet, bought the 4lb can, not jar, a few months ago, I like to have a year's supply and now making it two year's supply of food stored away.

The can isn't opened and wouldn't have been for some time, I have 6 other jars to go through first. I filled out the recall claim so I guess they send me some coupons.

creamy...

I also use it for rodent bait, caught a twof'er...

I hate that my life is a disappointment to Valsdad, I like golfing, miracle whip and peanut butter...

Kent

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not uncommon, but don't know about a bear.

Thats a bad azz chicken right there even the dogs are scared of it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for those who enjoy PB that cant get it. I will probably be ok.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne, thanks. I think your sugar thought is on the mark. Normally I would not mess with most rodents if they don't try to invade my stuff. But, some persist.

The biggest deal with the garages and rodents is the old trucks and an even older Corvette. I accumulated older Chev and GM trucks for quite a while and the "fleet" grew oversized - so have been steadily downsizing those.

BUT - mice and pack rats will be the bane of any such enthusiast if you give them the slightest opening. Can't let them in - ruined carpet, stored "food", chewed seats and wiring, pulled insulation for nests, etc. Beside that, I am highly allergic to their urine (even when dried, and the little no-bladder villains dribble that everywhere they go) - SO - all out war most of the time until the last relic is gone.

And, thanks for the insights.

P.S. Also figured out that for getting pack rats in the much bigger traps, fruit works really well - and for staying power/stickiness, prunes are very good - they love 'em.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCCC;
Thanks for the kind response sir, I appreciate it.

My goodness I hear you on the vehicles parked all over. We're rural so we have our daughter's surplus YJ project as well as a couple that are ours. Rodent damage to vehicles is common in our part of BC and on your Vette or my 40th Anniversary Mustang they're not welcome for sure.

For pack rats we've found fruit worked too and I shall remember the prune option.

The first time we had pack rat issues a chap told me to find a 5' tube or chunk of stove pipe big enough that the trap would work still, put the fruit in the center and a baited rat trap on either side of the fruit, again in the center of the pipe. Apparently they love running in the tubes/pipes?

We found some square plastic tubing the correct size and it worked well for our BC packrats anyways sir.

Before leaving this topic, I will say that I also used the icing sugar and peanut butter blend for them, so I'm remotely on topic, but not really. wink

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,964
Posts18,519,505
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.