Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
No need for fear of motorcycles. People die every day, of every thing. Doesn't matter what they are driving when it comes to highway deaths. From the biggest to the smallest of vehicles.

I commute to work on a bike every single day the weather allows. I know where most of the danger comes from and I look for it. I even expect it. I don't take my eyes off the road. I'm not scared of riding a bike.

By and large, motorcycle fatalities are tied to alcohol, which is never going to mix well with any vehicle. Add in doing stuff you shouldn't have been doing in the first place. Bikes aren't that much more likely to be in an accident than anything else as long as you are doing your part. Get lazy or complacent, or just stupid, and you won't be riding for long.

I know a few guys who get on the motorcycles are dangerous rant, but mostly their wives told them they couldn't have one. They also have man caves and most likely piss sitting down.

Used to think somewhat along those lines. Somewhat. Thing I saw would have been a fender bender with a car, not the man's last joy ride. Lots of different places and infinite situations out there, and some of your comments reek of pure ignorance, or possibly denial, by and large. YRMV

Was interested so looked it up. The most oft cited number was 43% of motorcycle fatalities involved alcohol, so I guess it depends on how you define “by and large.”

I’ve seen some really bad ones, but I think JeffA’s takes the cake. Brutal.

Well, when you factor in all the many different reasons attributed to a fatality, you're going to have a hard time finding any one thing come close to 43%, so yeah, I would define that as by and large.
Don't drink and don't do stupid stuff will cover the vast majority of it.
Or just don't ride.

Those stats may not be strictly reflecting on the guy on the bike.
Just in my local paper this morning there was a drunk turning into the path of a bike that caused the crash.

I had a friend get killed on his bike when we were in our 20s.
He hit a drunk that was walking across a dark stretch of road late at night. He decapitated the drunk then laid down his bike but managed to get on top of it and rode it to a complete stop, then a car ran him over.

Don't know how long you've been a Kodiak Island guy but the the most gruesome death I ever witnessed happened right before my eyes while sitting on a dock on Kodiak Island.

It was late January or early February in 2000, we were doing Pot Cod when the islands dive instructor/fire extinguisher guy lost his life. If you were on the island back then you'd have had to hear of it.
The story ran in the Kodiak Mirror or whatever the local paper was called back then. The paper stated that he was a single father of a 11 year old daughter he left behind.

The guy was in the water cutting line and web off the wheel and shaft of a boat that was tied fast to the dock while they were off loading their Cod.
You could see him working, the water was crystal clear, there were numerous bull sealions swarming about feasting off the bits and pieces of Cod that were being washed off the decks of the boats that were waiting their turn at the dock to be off loaded.

Communications between diver and captain of the boat became an issue, as he clearing line and web off the shaft of the boat the captain engaged the wheel to move the boat.

The diver became entangled, he was tied to the shaft and was frantically tring to free himself. That's when the Sealions attack him. He was fine around those Sealions until he became frantic, like the injured fish syndrome, they attack him and ate him.

It was the most helpless of feeling to see this happen, there was nothing we could do but watch.

Those Sealions are brutal, those big bulls can weigh up to 2500 pounds and man oh man do they have some teeth.

No where like Alaska for seeing the most brutal of deaths and injuries.

[Linked Image from homernews.com]
[Linked Image from i.natgeofe.com]

Those sea lions are freaking huge. They dwarf the puny sea lions I see around here. No way in hell I’d want to be in the water with them.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
In my opinion M/C rider and idiocy are redundant. I'm sure that the M/C riders here will all exempt themselves.
I stop riding bikes when I was 23, I knew I'd die sooner or later because I can't ride them slow, same for cars, and trucks but have never had an accident in the latter, I can't drive 55 as the song goes.

Last edited by stxhunter; 06/13/22.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Roger, I know you. There isn't a "55" anything in you.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Know some folks that got smoked on bikes, and yup, alcohol a factor in a couple.

One non drinker caught a deer.

Others it was car/truck drivers that screwed up and got em.

Can argue all one wants about safety and this or that.........but cars always win arguments w bikes. Every Time.

Seen bunches retire and buy a Harley at my old job. Then they cruise around all stupid happy, no helmet.
Seen first hand a couple of them space chit and about get greased.

With cellphones and JD Byrider............its a friggin gauntlet these days.

I was looking at scramblers under 500 cc last night on the web.
They are cool. Could be a blast.

Might just get a quad for deer hunting instead. You know, off road and no blue hair in a Buick gonna splat me.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I always feel as safe on the bike as in a car, This especially in city traffic. On the bike I can accelerate myself out of most problems and brake my way out of most others. I can avoid things by cutting through small gaps. The only time I consider the bike to be much more dangerous is when roads are icy and I am no longer tough enough to ride in weather that cold anyway! GD

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
greydog, Some time in the near future, someone will scrap you off the blacktop. Rio7

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
No need for fear of motorcycles. People die every day, of every thing. Doesn't matter what they are driving when it comes to highway deaths. From the biggest to the smallest of vehicles.

I commute to work on a bike every single day the weather allows. I know where most of the danger comes from and I look for it. I even expect it. I don't take my eyes off the road. I'm not scared of riding a bike.

By and large, motorcycle fatalities are tied to alcohol, which is never going to mix well with any vehicle. Add in doing stuff you shouldn't have been doing in the first place. Bikes aren't that much more likely to be in an accident than anything else as long as you are doing your part. Get lazy or complacent, or just stupid, and you won't be riding for long.

I know a few guys who get on the motorcycles are dangerous rant, but mostly their wives told them they couldn't have one. They also have man caves and most likely piss sitting down.

Used to think somewhat along those lines. Somewhat. Thing I saw would have been a fender bender with a car, not the man's last joy ride. Lots of different places and infinite situations out there, and some of your comments reek of pure ignorance, or possibly denial, by and large. YRMV

Sounded like me. Rode for 45 years and zero wrecks. Then about 20 months ago a lady decided to run a red light and smashed into me from behind after I had made a left hand turn. Parts of my body will never be the same. Sold all my bikes and will never buy another. There are some situations you can’t avoid or prevent.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw a 1 ton ford nail a bicyclist a couple years ago.
Guy popped like a watermelon. Limbs separated from torso. Not pretty. Truck driver never saw him, early morning sun in his eyes. Bicyclist was on the white line.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
In 30+ years of riding street bikes I have had two altercations with vehicles. The first was when I was 17 and a station wagon backed out of a driveway in front of me. That resulted in a destroyed rear panel on the wagon and a new bike for me. No injuries.

The next one in my 20's was sorta my fault due to excessive speed when a car pulled into a country road intersection resulting in a 60+ MPH off-roading adventure ending in a very impressive 20' ft Superman into the Kudzu. No injuries but got a new bike.

After that, plenty of near misses, but if one is vigilant and constantly planning on an escape route, then riding a bike is a blast and relatively safe. The point is, there are no margins for error. I was lucky twice, but probably won't be the next time but I am reminded of that every time I ride.

For years I would ride the Tail of the Dragon and seems every trip someone ate gravel or a guardrail. Most were young, dumb and full of bravado. All the more fun when folks started driving with GoPro. At least the next of kin could see how their family member died. All the videos start the same way - "Watch This"...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RUM7
Saw a 1 ton ford nail a bicyclist a couple years ago.
Guy popped like a watermelon. Limbs separated from torso. Not pretty. Truck driver never saw him, early morning sun in his eyes. Bicyclist was on the white line.

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Saw two last year. Both involved motorcycles. Coming back from my NM elk hunt and going through Montgomery. Black Harley rear ended a truck and like you said, stuff scattered everywhere. He was laying in the pavement and appeared to be in one piece, unlike his ride. Killed instantly. I looked up his death on a Montgomery TV station’s broadcast. American serviceman back in civilian life. The only positive thing was his death was instant. It was horrific.

Saw a motorcyclist get run off a mountain road by an oncoming vehicle that took the curvy mountain road too sharp. Ran him off an approximately ten foot cliff onto huge rocks. I got to him and his bike was on top of him and he was breathing his last. I’ll bet the damn car that took the curves too sharp just rode on. But I never heard.

Son is a paramedic and sees what we would call a gruesome death about every other month. Cut a man down that hung himself this year. Retrieved two drowning victims (he’s certified for that too). Extricated a guy that hit a truck hauling lumber. 2x6 impaled his chest and came out his back. And it’s just June.

Last edited by Godogs57; 06/13/22.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
As gruesome as all these stories are, I would rather go that way than drooling with a diaper in a bed unable to remember what I had for lunch.

As Kurt Cobain said - "It's better to burn out than to fade away."

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
As gruesome as all these stories are, I would rather go that way than drooling with a diaper in a bed unable to remember what I had for lunch.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What kinda bike?

Probably a Rukus.

I saw a guy on what looked like a stretched Ruckus the other day. Is that something people do?

Jesus Christ.

Pull your cock holster off Beaver every year or two. Check the news.

LOL

I had to Google "cock holster".

How did you look?

LOL

Flavor, you are the quintessential dickhead.

But that was funny as fûck!

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

[Linked Image from allthatshreds.com]

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickBin

+1

[Linked Image from allthatshreds.com]
Yep, Cobain borrowed that from Neil Young in his 'suicide' note.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RIO7
greydog, Some time in the near future, someone will scrap you off the blacktop. Rio7
The record would seem to indicate otherwise but, I suppose, sooner or later, old age and slowing reflexes might catch up with me. Riding on gravel and off-road keeps me reasonably sharp, for my age. Among the people who take risks, I rate pretty low on the scale. GD

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RIO7

What a thing to say!

Double sheesh.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You're a narrow minded jackwagon, you probably would rather watch TV instead of living your life!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Couple of months ago a guy died right across the street. Heard the wreck-2 motorcycles 2 cars, but still don't know what happened. I heard somebody moan but I think the guy was already dead and that was somebody realizing what was going on. There's a memorial in the grass now in the spot where he was lying. Sad.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.