Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike454
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Youse guys are comparing apples to oranges. Elmer came from an era of lead cores with light jackets, a proven performance disaster at higher velocities...what worked?.... big heavy wide diameter bullets. Ross in a much later era had the benefit of smaller lighter bullets driven fast and still holding together with good success. In other words, they were both correct...using the products of their time. BTW...they were friends. Seyfried was more than a pimple too, he put Linebaugh on the map when he used a .45 Colt Linebaugh to dump a cape buffalo without drama. As far as the Hornet goes, Ross' recipe just works in a variety of rifles...if you don't like it...don't use it, you need not trash talk the man.
I always enjoyed Seyfried's articles. He was a good story teller and wrote based on experience. He also had lots of neat rifles.

I lusted after "olde yella". As I remember, it was a Mauser in a ridiculous (and sexy) maple stock, chambered for 338-378KT (I think) and believe it's prior owner was Keith.

Someone (MuleDeer ah-hem) should do an article on Seyfried's rifles.

Umm... not quite OGB. wink

Here is Elmer Keith's .338/378 K/T.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...h-grade-338-378-k-t.cfm?gun_id=101531559

Ross Seyfried Mauser "Oulde Yellow" was chambered in the .338/378 K/T. Ross hunted elk with Elmer one fall and got to watch Elmer kill a spike bull with the Champlin .338/378 K/T. After that Ross wanted one for himself and had it built on a Mauser action. IIRC Ross used a .375 H&H on that hunt and killed a 6 point (I think) bull elk with it.

Umm... not quite elkhunternm smile

I bought Elmers 338/378KT based on Ross's reccomendation when James Julia auctioned off Elmers guns, and the linked gun isn't it. Also, Ross was shooting a 375 Weatherby when he was hunting with Elmer.

Here's Elmer's gun. https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/1058-373/

Ross was shooting the 338/378 kt on that hunt with Elmer

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 338/378 Keith/Thompson was a 378 Wby magnum case shortened and necked to 338. Elmer developed it with Bob Thompson from Colorado.
It sent a 250gr at an easy 3000fps.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by beretzs
I believe the Ross had a Champlin made in .340 Wby in which he wrote an article in the September 1989 Guns & Ammo issue. He also had a Weatherby Mark V Fibermark in the .340 Wby.

He did have a favorite .340 Wby and you are probably right as I seem to remember he managed to convince Champlin to build him a rifle after he bought that .243 Win second hand.

I bought a Ruger in .338 Win and worked up loads using 225 gr Xs and Hor SPs and RL22 that clocked a bit over 3000fps.

We were talking about the loads one day and asked me to bring it out next time.

Now Ross was never a fan of the .338 Win because there were .340 Wbys so why settle for less bullet speed. I was on a bit different budget and the Ruger fit that budget.

So next time out as his ranch he set up a chrono and asked me to shoot my loads. 3010fps. Easy bolt opening and cases lasted at least 3 times.

He shakes his head and laughs and said his 225gr .340 Wby loads were running 2950fps.

He might have used that .340 Wby to kill his big Brown Bear. I remember him taking a Rigby in .416 on maybe 2 unsuccessful Kodiak trips.

Long time ago but a fun trip down memory lane.

Thanks guys.

I remember reading his successful brown bear story. I can’t totally remember but I’d thought it was a 340 her used but I do remember it being a damn well written story.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here you go OGB a picture of Ross's "Oulde Yellow."
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ha Ken, you proved me wrong! it was a Gemsbok not a Sable.... thanks buddy smile going by memory is getting trickier every year.. wink

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar

Ha Ken, you proved me wrong! it was a Gemsbok not a Sable.... thanks buddy smile going by memory is getting trickier every year.. wink

Man, I’d love to read that full article. Old school cool in those big blasters!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I bought Elmers 338/378KT based on Ross's reccomendation when James Julia auctioned off Elmers guns, and the linked gun isn't it. Also, Ross was shooting a 375 Weatherby when he was hunting with Elmer.

That's not what he told me.

It was a .375 but I could not say whether H&H or Wby.

He was showing me the fired case Elmer used and the bullet fragments of the 275gr Speer he found while dressing the spike.

Thanks Mike for posting and just for Phil, Ross was actually guiding Ol Elmer on that hunt.

Just sayin. wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by OGB
Youse guys are comparing apples to oranges. Elmer came from an era of lead cores with light jackets, a proven performance disaster at higher velocities...what worked?.... big heavy wide diameter bullets. Ross in a much later era had the benefit of smaller lighter bullets driven fast and still holding together with good success. In other words, they were both correct...using the products of their time. BTW...they were friends. Seyfried was more than a pimple too, he put Linebaugh on the map when he used a .45 Colt Linebaugh to dump a cape buffalo without drama. As far as the Hornet goes, Ross' recipe just works in a variety of rifles...if you don't like it...don't use it, you need not trash talk the man.
I always enjoyed Seyfried's articles. He was a good story teller and wrote based on experience. He also had lots of neat rifles.

I lusted after "olde yella". As I remember, it was a Mauser in a ridiculous (and sexy) maple stock, chambered for 338-378KT (I think) and believe it's prior owner was Keith.

Ross Seyfried Mauser "Oulde Yellow" was chambered in the .338/378 K/T. Ross hunted elk with Elmer one fall and got to watch Elmer kill a spike bull with the Champlin .338/378 K/T. After that Ross wanted one for himself and had it built on a Mauser action. IIRC Ross used a .375 H&H on that hunt and killed a 6 point (I think) bull elk with it.

Originally Posted by OGB

My mistake, We're both wrong. Ross shot his with a 375 H&H that I believe he later had converted to Weatherby

Last edited by mike454; 06/14/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He was showing me the fired case Elmer used and the bullet fragments of the 275gr Speer he found while dressing the spike.

Thanks Mike for posting and just for Phil, Ross was actually guiding Ol Elmer on that hunt.

Just sayin. wink

Ooh , you may be right. Elmer used the 338/378 KT. As I told Ken going by memory is getting harder... my apologies

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just sayin. wink

Ooh , you may be right. Elmer used the 338/378 KT. As I told Ken going by memory is getting harder... my apologies

That's why trips down memory lane are fun.

Great thread.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just remembered a story Ross told me about visiting Elmer at his home in Salmon. They had just handloaded some ammo for one of Elmer's rifles, and decided to fire a few rounds to "check the pressure." So they headed down into the basement, which had a stack of firewood. The door to the basement was next to the kitchen, where Loraine was cooking a meal, as as they passed through Elmer said, "We're going to test some loads, mother." She was evidently used to this, so nodded, and they shot the handloads into the firewood, and decided the pressures were okay....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Just sayin. wink

That's why trips down memory lane are fun.

Great thread.

Hell yes. I’m enjoying the hell outta hearing about those two. The elk hunt is just icing on the cake.

The Champlin rifle is just darn cool as well. What a cool design.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just remembered a story Ross told me about visiting Elmer at his home in Salmon. They had just handloaded some ammo for one of Elmer's rifles, and decided to fire a few rounds to "check the pressure." So they headed down into the basement, which had a stack of firewood. The door to the basement was next to the kitchen, where Loraine was cooking a meal, as as they passed through Elmer said, "We're going to test some loads, mother." She was evidently used to this, so nodded, and they shot the handloads into the firewood, and decided the pressures were okay....

I don’t believe my wife would be as keen on that, ha!

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OGB

Originally Posted by OGB

My mistake, We're both wrong. Ross shot his with a 375 H&H that I believe he later had converted to Weatherby

I remember that article well. The magazine is down in the basement somewhere.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe the Ross had a Champlin made in .340 Wby in which he wrote an article in the September 1989 Guns & Ammo issue. He also had a Weatherby Mark V Fibermark in the .340 Wby.

He did have a favorite .340 Wby and you are probably right as I seem to remember he managed to convince Champlin to build him a rifle after he bought that .243 Win second hand.

I bought a Ruger in .338 Win and worked up loads using 225 gr Xs and Hor SPs and RL22 that clocked a bit over 3000fps.

We were talking about the loads one day and asked me to bring it out next time.

Now Ross was never a fan of the .338 Win because there were .340 Wbys so why settle for less bullet speed. I was on a bit different budget and the Ruger fit that budget.

So next time out as his ranch he set up a chrono and asked me to shoot my loads. 3010fps. Easy bolt opening and cases lasted at least 3 times.

He shakes his head and laughs and said his 225gr .340 Wby loads were running 2950fps.

He might have used that .340 Wby to kill his big Brown Bear. I remember him taking a Rigby in .416 on maybe 2 unsuccessful Kodiak trips.

Long time ago but a fun trip down memory lane.

Thanks guys.

I remember reading his successful brown bear story. I can’t totally remember but I’d thought it was a 340 her used but I do remember it being a damn well written story.

I also remember reading a story where Ross used a .340 to take a bear. If I remember correctly, it was in deep snow. Like the other article, the magazine is somewhere downstairs.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hell yes. I’m enjoying the hell outta hearing about those two. The elk hunt is just icing on the cake.

The Champlin rifle is just darn cool as well. What a cool design.

As I said Ol Elmer is not exactly my favorite and I think he did some damage by convincing a large group of hunters that the .270 Win and 30-06 were not suitiable rounds for elk hunting.

That's not to say I ever skipped reading any thing Elmer wrote but time has shown he was not right.

I remember asking Ross about how well Elmer shot.

Ross said that when he got to know him Elmer was an old dude on the down hill side.

On that elk hunt Elmer spotter a porcupine in a tree about 50yds away. Everyone was on horseback.

Ol Elmer turned his horse away from the varmint and drew his 4" M29 .44 Mag.

Left hand on the reins and one hand on the revolver resulted in a dead porky and Elmer still in the saddle.

For those that ride that's not a very simple thing to accomplish.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I heard that story in Ross's kitchen. Funny how all of us have those we look up to and Ross really did have a lot of respect for Ol Elmer.

The herd of elk were at 500yds and Ol Elmer wanted a spike for eating. I have held the case as he gave it to Ross and the 275gr Speer bullet fragments that came apart in the bull.

Ross always wanted a Champlin rifle and as they were not really interested in building any more he had to settle for a second hand one in of all things a .243 win.

It had the octagon barrel with the full vent rib and all the bells and whistles but, at the time, the .243 Win chamber was not really what he wanted.

The very expensive barrel went off to Cliff LaBounty for a rebore to .308 and chambered in .300 H&H Mag.

The rifle didn't shoot great so Ross milled a dove tail in the barrel and threaded a mating piece that allowed a screw through the fore end to lock barrel and fore end together. Pretty much the exact opposite of free float.

Rifle went to a solid 1 MOA shooter.

The above is my recollection for 30 years ago so keep that in mind. grin

John;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and you're not in any flood zones where you're at.

Thanks for the Ross Seyfried stories, I appreciate getting the perspective on them.

If it means anything, the above story is exactly how I recall it as well and if I searched long enough I might still have it stashed away somewhere. I want to say it was in a Guns & Ammo back then.

While it's not exactly a "personal" connection with the story, it did help the "light go on" so to speak when I could not for the life of me get a .308 Norma I'd built to settle down and shoot.

Money was tight 30 years ago and sticking on a different barrel wasn't an option, so I read Ross' article a couple times, then decided I didn't have enough meat to cut a dovetail like he did, so I built a barrel band and pillar bedded it into the stock. That's what the lump that didn't rust blue quite the same as the barrel is.

[Linked Image]

It worked much, much better after that. I want to say last season was the 14th in a row that I didn't adjust a thing on it.

Thanks again for the stories and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s a helluva shot on the porcupine from a fella standing on two feet on flat ground.

Agree about the 270-06 for elk but he was probably jaded some with the common bullets out there back then which is pretty understandable. Plus when you have good results with the bigger guns it’s probably hard to go back and retry what you tried 40-50 years before.

Seyfried wrote a great one I end up Rereading now and again after he “refound” the 270 later in life.

Just cool to see how those folks came about their opinions.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

I heard that story in Ross's kitchen. Funny how all of us have those we look up to and Ross really did have a lot of respect for Ol Elmer.

The herd of elk were at 500yds and Ol Elmer wanted a spike for eating. I have held the case as he gave it to Ross and the 275gr Speer bullet fragments that came apart in the bull.

Ross always wanted a Champlin rifle and as they were not really interested in building any more he had to settle for a second hand one in of all things a .243 win.

It had the octagon barrel with the full vent rib and all the bells and whistles but, at the time, the .243 Win chamber was not really what he wanted.

The very expensive barrel went off to Cliff LaBounty for a rebore to .308 and chambered in .300 H&H Mag.

The rifle didn't shoot great so Ross milled a dove tail in the barrel and threaded a mating piece that allowed a screw through the fore end to lock barrel and fore end together. Pretty much the exact opposite of free float.

Rifle went to a solid 1 MOA shooter.

The above is my recollection for 30 years ago so keep that in mind. grin

John;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and you're not in any flood zones where you're at.

Thanks for the Ross Seyfried stories, I appreciate getting the perspective on them.

If it means anything, the above story is exactly how I recall it as well and if I searched long enough I might still have it stashed away somewhere. I want to say it was in a Guns & Ammo back then.

While it's not exactly a "personal" connection with the story, it did help the "light go on" so to speak when I could not for the life of me get a .308 Norma I'd built to settle down and shoot.

Money was tight 30 years ago and sticking on a different barrel wasn't an option, so I read Ross' article a couple times, then decided I didn't have enough meat to cut a dovetail like he did, so I built a barrel band and pillar bedded it into the stock. That's what the lump that didn't rust blue quite the same as the barrel is.

[Linked Image]

It worked much, much better after that. I want to say last season was the 14th in a row that I didn't adjust a thing on it.

Thanks again for the stories and all the best.

Dwayne

Love that 308 Norma Dwayne... as you know I have a soft spot for the old Norma Mag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s a helluva shot on the porcupine from a fella standing on two feet on flat ground.

Agree about the 270-06 for elk but he was probably jaded some with the common bullets out there back then which is pretty understandable. Plus when you have good results with the bigger guns it’s probably hard to go back and retry what you tried 40-50 years before.

Seyfried wrote a great one I end up Rereading now and again after he “refound” the 270 later in life.

Just cool to see how those folks came about their opinions.

I made the progression up through the caliber ranks , got as far as the 338 mag. It didn't seem to kill any better than my old 270.
I told Ross of my journey and he just grinned... he came to believe in the 270W

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 79S, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.