Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#17339997 06/15/22
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/...eId=d6797553-ad7d-4cd5-a7fc-4524e80fbd8e

By Travis Holt June 15, 2022

Moonshine, though often associated with Appalachia, is also an integral part of the Ozarks culture.

Growing up in the hills of Newton County, Arkansas, I lived a privileged life. I got to know a good amount of my ancestors, and hear their stories and experiences. Though most of them were straight laced, hard-working and proud folks, I would occasionally hear the whispered word about something illicit, something that was forbidden and frowned upon, something that permeated the culture that I lived in. That thing was moonshine whiskey.

Growing up in the hills of Newton County, Arkansas, there were legends.

Many of them took the form of people, some of who I knew well, others passed long before my time. Sometimes the legends took the place of a certain event, like a brawl or murder or some other happening that captured not only the imaginations of those around, but the memory of all those close by.

But in all those legends, one stands out amongst the others; moonshine whiskey.

Now, let me be the first to say that there are few other subjects that draw such a wide range of emotion from folks that hear the subject brought forth. I have seen happiness and disgust, pride and shame and grins and tears. There are few subjects that make such a profound impact upon our culture.

Growing up in what I consider the ‘post whiskey’ era, I still was privileged to know many who participated in the aforementioned trade.

In my own life I was privileged to know many of the older generations, since I was born in late 1987. Still, though many of the purveyors of the trade were long gone, they were still spoken of in whispered tones.

‘Whiskey men’ is how my great uncle and grandfather referred to them. There were several, many of them local folks who were well known. Most of them involved their own families in the trade of illicit liquor, but some who remained nearly anonymous even years after their own deaths.

Such was the secrecy of the trade. My own grandfather spoke openly to us about his father’s wish that none of his own kids would ‘make whiskey’ though he made it himself. He refused to teach any of his sons, and his trade died with him.

My 2nd great grandfather, George Washington Freeman, was a whiskey man that taught his own sons the trade. He always said that a man would get caught if he made it look like he was ‘makin whiskey.’ So his cover was that he worked in the fields all day and then made whiskey at night (we still don’t know when he slept). George’s saving grace was that he had his still in a remote cave on his property, that was underground and had a cold, clear spring running in it. More of a ‘crack in the bluff.’ He had to break down his kegs and feed them through the opening and then re-assemble them on the other side, once he had his whiskey made. He used this trade to feed his own family through hard times, as many others did.

The whole concept of the ‘rich moonshiner’ is quite ponderous to those of us that have known them and understood the way that they have lived. Some folks get the idea that some hillbilly with a great corn crop suddenly distills it and stuffs the excess from the sale under his mattress.

The truth is far from that.

The average whiskey man in the Ozarks gets his recipe handed down through the generations, and practiced it as an art, a craft to be mastered, from his forebears. He did it, initially, not to turn a profit, but to provide him with liquor for medicinal (and, admittedly) other uses. This was the foundation of the Ozark ‘moonshiner.’

Some whiskey men learned that their own recipe or method was superior to others. Time evolved the making of ‘wildcat’ (as most of my forebears would never call it ‘moonshine’) to a near perfection through trial and error. A good recipe is crucial, yes, but what if a man changed ‘this or that’ and then tried it? The results were sometimes amazing.

The Ozarks were, and are, a poor country, by most all standards. The folks that settled here were hard working, superstitious, clannish and (most of all) proud people. The hills and hollers they settled and farmed often belong to their offspring today, thankfully.

Wildcat was always in the hills, but the idea of it being more than a bartering agent didn’t come along ‘til around the Great Depression and prohibition.

When a man has a wife and several children to feed, the legality of how he comes by a dollar starts to mean less. Not that I’m saying that my bunch, (and many others) were criminals born, nor that they took such things lightly; they simply had a skill passed to them that could prove profitable. In fact, most of the whiskey men I was acquainted with only took to the craft to support and feed their families. It wasn’t a ‘get rich quick’ scheme, but a ‘keep the kids fed’ scheme.

So many with a small understanding of the big picture seem to overlook this; not that I’m making excuses for the whiskey men, some of them did plenty of evil in their time, say, Yates ‘Wolfman’ Standridge. But there were plenty who did nothing but mind their stills and use the money to (literally) buy their children shoes.

This is a small essay on wildcat, and it, like anything short of a multi-volume work, cannot truly explain the making nor the importance of ‘moonshine’ whiskey to our culture.

Fact of it is, even though it is oft associated with Appalachia, our ancestors brought it with them when they settled the wilds of the Ozarks, and moonshine whiskey is as much a part of our culture as it is theirs. It has been involved in love and war; feuds and reconciliations; marriages and burials; all the aspects of our ancestor’s lives have been touched in it, in a way.

Wildcat is a part of our heritage. It’s hard to write an objective piece on something that has brought so much heartache, but it has also brought much joy and good.

Good or bad, it is a part of our heritage and our people.

I’ll close this short piece with a story of my own people;

During the 1960s in the poor, backwoods of Newton County, my grandfather and his cousin were once saddled with driving 50 gallons of wildcat to a buyer. They rolled along the quiet, dark night in a ’55 Ford. They were both teenagers, and jumpy about being placed behind the wheel, but they knew that the success of this trip meant money for the family. The driver asked my grandfather ‘Meckey, what if we get caught?’ Papa fished around and found a tire iron and brandished it and announced ‘If we get pulled over, I’ll break every jar in here!’ His cohort thought about it a minute and said ‘Hell, Meckey! That’d drown us!!’

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the big deal about moonshine?
People act like some hillbilly invented the best moonrocket ever,
out of some grain and yeast.

People been making alcohol and distilling, all over the world, forever.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

It was more about telling the govt to "stick it!" than anything else.

Fast cars, making illegal hooch, guns, and guts to do something besides roll over.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Taxes

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
and the money they could make

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What's this moonshine stuff?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I've got a jug of Welch's juice fermenting in a closet right now for fun: 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp of brewer's yeast. It should be ready around Independence Day.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got uninvited 1/2 way thru a swamp party

I told the host’s cougar that her homemade made tasted mouse pee and salad dressing.

I was an ungr8tful ass hole

Tequila and prednisone make say mean things. lol

I missed the fireworks too

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

I told the host’s cougar that her homemade made tasted mouse pee and salad dressing.

Well, by your own words it was a 'swamp party', they weren't going to serve 5 star Michelin fare, right? But letting the guests down on hooch is a bit unseemly, no matter the occasion.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I learnt along time ago, when it comes to homemade liquor or kids, that whoever had a hand in making them thinks that theirs is the best that ever was... regardless of how schitty and repulsive they really are!
laugh

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter

It’s the waste (pee & poo) product of fungus….

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

That's beer. There's another step, distillation, to get to high proof spirits. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

That's beer. There's another step, distillation, to get to high proof spirits. grin

Then another step involved, using charred white oak to make it consumable.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You don't like white dog?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Much prefer caramel hued beverages.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I learnt along time ago, when it comes to homemade liquor or kids, that whoever had a hand in making them thinks that theirs is the best that ever was... regardless of how schitty and repulsive they really are!
laugh
Lmao, now if that ain't the truth right here. You can add home cooked spaghetti sauce to that list.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The company men would send hot shot drivers 600 miles to Corpus from West Texas to pick up shine from my house in Corpus when I was in the oilfield.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Fast cars, making illegal hooch, guns, and guts to do something besides roll over.

Not talking about prohibition or folks making a buck.
Those folks made a product and kept their mouth shut.

Today.

It's Moonshine this and Moonshine that.

Fits right in with the lifted truck, fancy boots that never saw dirt,
And a big hat. All part of Bro-Cűntry.

Have consumed a bit. Most, rocket fuel.
Some, easy drinking.

None, truly better than a commercial drink.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
[/b]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Not talking about prohibition or folks making a buck.
Those folks made a product and kept their mouth shut.

Today.

It's Moonshine this and Moonshine that.

Fits right in with the lifted truck, fancy boots that never saw dirt,
And a big hat. All part of Bro-Cűntry.

Have consumed a bit. Most, rocket fuel.
Some, easy drinking.

[b]None, truly better than a commercial drink.

I have relatives that make it. They add burnt sugar for color and to smooth it a bit, soak oak chips in it for "character" and cut it to about 100 proof with good water. Their best efforts result in a product of a quality you'd expect for about $8.00 a quart at the package store.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The good stuff is made in a prison toilet...'flave says.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,131
Posts18,483,907
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.