Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I also remember reading a story where Ross used a .340 to take a bear. If I remember correctly, it was in deep snow. Like the other article, the magazine is somewhere downstairs.

I think we’re remembering the same one.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
John;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and you're not in any flood zones where you're at.

Thanks for the Ross Seyfried stories, I appreciate getting the perspective on them.

If it means anything, the above story is exactly how I recall it as well and if I searched long enough I might still have it stashed away somewhere. I want to say it was in a Guns & Ammo back then.

While it's not exactly a "personal" connection with the story, it did help the "light go on" so to speak when I could not for the life of me get a .308 Norma I'd built to settle down and shoot.

Money was tight 30 years ago and sticking on a different barrel wasn't an option, so I read Ross' article a couple times, then decided I didn't have enough meat to cut a dovetail like he did, so I built a barrel band and pillar bedded it into the stock. That's what the lump that didn't rust blue quite the same as the barrel is.

[Linked Image]

It worked much, much better after that. I want to say last season was the 14th in a row that I didn't adjust a thing on it.

Thanks again for the stories and all the best.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. Rick's Island of Misfit Toys draws a fair share of toxic posters but you always remain above the fray and are a class act.

Well done.

John

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just remembered a story Ross told me about visiting Elmer at his home in Salmon. They had just handloaded some ammo for one of Elmer's rifles, and decided to fire a few rounds to "check the pressure." So they headed down into the basement, which had a stack of firewood. The door to the basement was next to the kitchen, where Loraine was cooking a meal, as as they passed through Elmer said, "We're going to test some loads, mother." She was evidently used to this, so nodded, and they shot the handloads into the firewood, and decided the pressures were okay....

I don’t believe my wife would be as keen on that, ha!

During my first marriage, our second house was a cheap 1-story with a "crawl space" instead of a real basement, in a neighborhood just outside the city limits. Back then so-called "affordable" chronographs existed, but I couldn't afford one--so built a "ballistic pendulum" in the crawl space, using the directions in P.O. Ackley's HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTERS AND RELOADERS. You couldn't hear the report of a centerfire outside of the house, but definitely could anywhere inside. One of my wife's cousins came visiting one afternoon when I was down there, shooting a .30-06, and after I touched off the first round could hear a yelp from above.

But that wasn't one of the reasons we got divorced!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just remembered a story Ross told me about visiting Elmer at his home in Salmon. They had just handloaded some ammo for one of Elmer's rifles, and decided to fire a few rounds to "check the pressure." So they headed down into the basement, which had a stack of firewood. The door to the basement was next to the kitchen, where Loraine was cooking a meal, as as they passed through Elmer said, "We're going to test some loads, mother." She was evidently used to this, so nodded, and they shot the handloads into the firewood, and decided the pressures were okay....

During my first marriage, our second house was a cheap 1-story with a "crawl space" instead of a real basement, in a neighborhood just outside the city limits. Back then so-called "affordable" chronographs existed, but I couldn't afford one--so built a "ballistic pendulum" in the crawl space, using the directions in P.O. Ackley's HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTERS AND RELOADERS. You couldn't hear the report of a centerfire outside of the house, but definitely could anywhere inside. One of my wife's cousins came visiting one afternoon when I was down there, shooting a .30-06, and after I touched off the first round could hear a yelp from above.

Ha, great one. I can imagine that made occupants jump a bit.

Dwayne, your big Norma is a cool rifle buddy. Always enjoy when you show it off some. Just a well built BG rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A unbiased observer might say you have Upgraded.

Just Sayin.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John,
That's crazy and cool all at the same time... luv it

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Definitely. In fact have been told by more than one old-fashioned friend that my second marriage was "way above my station."

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
That’s a helluva shot on the porcupine from a fella standing on two feet on flat ground.

Agree about the 270-06 for elk but he was probably jaded some with the common bullets out there back then which is pretty understandable. Plus when you have good results with the bigger guns it’s probably hard to go back and retry what you tried 40-50 years before.

Seyfried wrote a great one I end up Rereading now and again after he “refound” the 270 later in life.

Just cool to see how those folks came about their opinions.

I made the progression up through the caliber ranks , got as far as the 338 mag. It didn't seem to kill any better than my old 270.
I told Ross of my journey and he just grinned... he came to believe in the 270W

I’d follow those tracks myself. I still like shooting the bigger guns too, I just don’t believe they change much other than they all need some fresh air now and again!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Well it looks like one of us has a horseshoe firmly wedged in our nether regions Keith. It’s my habit to go through my giant tub of magazines, mostly Wolfe, and select a bunch to reread. I also keep a few out that have something of particular interest. Seems the one in question is behind Door #2, saving me considerable trouble.

The article is in HANDLOADER 225, October 2003, pages 70-77. “Miniature Black Powder Express Cartridges”. As I said, the tale of the lady and the free game is near the end, and is only really a long paragraph, but the article remains one of my favorites, not only from Ross, but in general.

Pappy;
Good evening my cyber friend, I trust the day was kind to you and yours.

Thanks for the specifics of the article, I meant to thank you this morning but got caught up in the projects of the day, but when you put it up last night I found it in the rows on the shelves and read it before bed. It's indeed an interesting article.

One of the firearms Ross had that I absolutely lusted for was a prototype drop block made in Germany. If memory serves it was a Blazer maybe???

It looked sort of like a Hagn in a way, but not exactly either. It was chambered in something exotic like a 7x64R too, which made me want one all the more.

Anyways thanks to you, to John Burns, John Barsness and the rest who've been kind enough to share their interactions and memories for a very fine thread.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John,

Definitely. In fact have been told by more than one old-fashioned friend that my second marriage was "way above my station."

John

JB,

It goes both ways.

Tell Eileen Hi for me.

JB.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also remember reading a story where Ross used a .340 to take a bear. If I remember correctly, it was in deep snow. Like the other article, the magazine is somewhere downstairs.

"Rifle Hunting" Annual #3 1999 "Bear Odyssey" p.38-45 Champlin .340 Weatherby 225-grain bullet (not specified)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Rifle Hunting" Annual #3 1999 "Bear Odyssey" p.38-45 Champlin .340 Weatherby 225-grain bullet (not specified)

Going to say 99.9% it was a Barnes X bullet.

Ross layed that tanned bear skin out on a visit while waiting for the full size mount. It was monstrous and covered the entance to his storm celler.

There were some small bugs in the the tanned hide.

Ross being Ross went off to the barn and came back with some kind of pesticide long banned (in the 80s) and gave the tanned hide a good dosing.

I was like that stuff has to be bad and he was like "It kills all the bugs dead".

Last edited by JohnBurns; 06/14/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Going to say 99.9% it was a Barnes X bullet.

Ross layed that tanned bear skin out on a visit while waiting for the full size mount. It was monstrous and covered the entance to his storm celler.

There were some small bugs in the the tanned hide.

Ross being Ross went off to the barn and came back with some kind of pesticide long banned (in the 80s) and gave the tanned hide a good dosing.

I was like that stuff has to be bad and he was like "It kills all the bugs dead".

I was thinking you’re right. Either a Failsafe or an X bullets. Either way, great account of his hunt with his excellent writing as usual.

Funny about the pesticide. I don’t think I blame him.

5SDad, I need to look for that one. Be a good reread.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I think I have that issue! I remember pics of a tent and a pack full of meat, and that gigantic hide tacked up to dry.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Here you go OGB a picture of Ross's "Oulde Yellow."
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thanks, that's a "Raquel Welch" rifle. Just stays pretty.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Here you go OGB a picture of Ross's "Oulde Yellow."
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ha Ken, you proved me wrong! it was a Gemsbok not a Sable.... thanks buddy smile going by memory is getting trickier every year.. wink
Irfubar, getting older is not for wimps! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another funny Ross story... he was having a conversation with a fellow hunter, he was talking about the 270W with 140 failsafe bullets was a perfectly adequate Cape Buffalo rifle... well the guy disagreed with him.... so he offered a wager for every Cape Buffalo he killed with a single shot from the 270 the guy would pick up the tab... if it took two shots Ross would pay... the guy declined

Missed this one the first time around--but around 15 years ago was sitting around an African campfire with the PH I've hunted with most, the now-retired Kevin Thomas. He's a year older than I am, and was born and raised in what was then Rhodesia. His first job out of high school, at age 17, was a ranger for the Rhodesian game department--and he killed his first charging Cape buffalo bull shortly afterward while leading several tourists on a "game viewing" tour in a park.

During our campfire discussion I asked Kevin what he considered the smallest reliable Cape buffalo round. Without hesitation he said, "The .30-06 with 180-grain Nosler Partitions." I was somewhat startled, but asked for more details.

It turned out one of Kevin's jobs in his 20s (meaning the 1970s) was working for one of the huge Rhodesian cattle ranches as a culler. Back then domestic beef cattle were more valuable than wild game--in fact there was virtually no safari industry. Kevin's job involved culling Cape buffalo, which wasn't done at night with head-shots, but during the day during drives. The ranch workers would push buffalo herds toward him, as slowly as possible, and Kevin's rifle of choice was a .30-06 with handloaded 180 Partitions--which at that time were the original lathe-turned models with a "relief groove" around the area of the partition.

I then asked if he'd ever had any difficulties. The culling involved every size of buffalo, from calves on up to mature bulls, and Kevin said, "Never."

I then asked, "Even with frontal shots on big bulls?" He shook his head.

Have also known several other PHs who've regularly used the .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum to kill mature buffalo bulls. In fact the 17-year-old son of my PH on a 2003 safari in Botswana's Okavango Delta was along on the hunt, partly as an apprentice. He'd recently killed his first bull with a .300 Winchester Magnum and a 180-grain Barnes TSX. It went around 75-100 yards before keeling over, after a typical heart-lung shot....

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal
[quote=Pappy348]

One of the firearms Ross had that I absolutely lusted for was a prototype drop block made in Germany. If memory serves it was a Blazer maybe???

It looked sort of like a Hagn in a way, but not exactly either. It was chambered in something exotic like a 7x64R too, which made me want one all the more.

Dwayne

I believe that rifle was a Blaser BL 820/821/822 in 7x65R. Their mechanism was something out of a watchmakers shop and thus were too expensive to manufacture and make a decent margins on. They surface from time to time and usually nudge five figures when they do.

The first firearms article I have memories of reading was Ross’s Shooters Insight column in G&A. It had to be around ‘88-‘89 and I was 13 or 14 at the time. Ross wrote about when he first got his .577 Rigby Rising Bite and how the first time he shot it it was off of the hood of his pickup truck! Impressionable as I was, that sealed the deal to be a fan of his writing ever since!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another funny Ross story... he was having a conversation with a fellow hunter, he was talking about the 270W with 140 failsafe bullets was a perfectly adequate Cape Buffalo rifle... well the guy disagreed with him.... so he offered a wager for every Cape Buffalo he killed with a single shot from the 270 the guy would pick up the tab... if it took two shots Ross would pay... the guy declined

Missed this one the first time around--but around 15 years ago was sitting around an African campfire with the PH I've hunted with most, the now-retired Kevin Thomas. He's a year older than I am, and was born and raised in what was then Rhodesia. His first job out of high school, at age 17, was a ranger for the Rhodesian game department--and he killed his first charging Cape buffalo bull shortly afterward while leading several tourists on a "game viewing" tour in a park.

During our campfire discussion I asked Kevin what he considered the smallest reliable Cape buffalo round. Without hesitation he said, "The .30-06 with 180-grain Nosler Partitions." I was somewhat startled, but asked for more details.

It turned out one of Kevin's jobs in his 20s (meaning the 1970s) was working for one of the huge Rhodesian cattle ranches as a culler. Back then domestic beef cattle were more valuable than wild game--in fact there was virtually no safari industry. Kevin's job involved culling Cape buffalo, which wasn't done at night with head-shots, but during the day during drives. The ranch workers would push buffalo herds toward him, as slowly as possible, and Kevin's rifle of choice was a .30-06 with handloaded 180 Partitions--which at that time were the original lathe-turned models with a "relief groove" around the area of the partition.

I then asked if he'd ever had any difficulties. The culling involved every size of buffalo, from calves on up to mature bulls, and Kevin said, "Never."

I then asked, "Even with frontal shots on big bulls?" He shook his head.

Have also known several other PHs who've regularly used the .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum to kill mature buffalo bulls. In fact the 17-year-old son of my PH on a 2003 safari in Botswana's Okavango Delta was along on the hunt, partly as an apprentice. He'd recently killed his first bull with a .300 Winchester Magnum and a 180-grain Barnes TSX. It went around 75-100 yards before keeling over, after a typical heart-lung shot....

John, when Tia, Taj & I hunted Zimbabwe 3 years ago the two PH's in our camp kept 308's as their personal hunting rifles

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The 585 Nayati by Sterling Davenport was uber cool... wink he had it built because his hunting concession had young rogue elephants and he wanted to protect his clients.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-sterling-davenport.cfm?gun_id=101055305

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.