Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Superstitious people go for the stick and carrot. I don't worry about it, I have no reason to worry about it.

I am not superstitious.....just a believer and have no reason to worry either...I'm making my choice, and you are making your choice.

My position is the skeptical clean slate. I'm not chosing to not believe, i simply have no reason to believe. If something were demonstrably true, I would have no reason not to believe.

Why choose to beleve something that you don't know to be true?

Maybe because the enormous evidence (no proof).....so my question to you in return is this: Given “all that we know today,” what are the odds that unguided evolution resulted in organisms like us with such remarkable abilities? Should primates really be good at physics, given our current theories in evolution and physics?

After all, natural selection sifts for genetic variations and traits that provide survival advantage. But producing humans with the cognitive hardware and software capable of discovering subatomic particles would have been overkill. Our actual intellectual abilities would have been wasteful luxuries — at least on the African savanna where our ancestors, we are told, were running from cheetahs or whatever.

So, neo-Darwinian evolution would have gone far above and beyond the call of duty. It’s not impossible, I suppose, but it seems highly unlikely, given our current theories of physics and evolution. And it is those very theories that supposedly show that God doesn’t exist. There’s an extreme tension here. In any case, given all that we know today — given what science has told us — how can you be so confident about your atheism?

Atheism isn't a belief system. It's a skeptical default position. Throw us some irrefutable, demonstrable proof of your claim that is true for all and it can be considered from there - this hasn't happened yet. Science has been gradually claiming all of the gods powers, like they never actually existing.

So given to my 1st paragraph above....." Maybe because of the enormous evidence (no proof).....so my question to you in return is this: Given “all that we know today,” what are the odds that unguided evolution resulted in organisms like us with such remarkable abilities? Should primates really be good at physics, given our current theories in evolution and physics?"

I do not know what Jesus looks like, but if you saw the below in person, would that convince you of an afterlife...just curious...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I would say "Who's the drag queen?".

Jesus (if he existed) was middle eastern and probably looked like this:

Your first paragraph is a typical "god of the gaps" fallacy response. You have to prove that a god exists and that he/she/it created everything. The correct answer is "we don't have all the answers (yet)". It's no excuse to make stuff up in the meantime.

I must have said it to you many times....that there is loads of evidence, but no actual proof....I also said I do not know what Jesus looks like....and I give you that he may have looked like your image....but, if you did see one of the images in person, what that convince you of an afterlife?

Never mind...you will say something snarky and will never say yes or no....

You don't realise that evidence is proof, and confirms a proposition. You see stuff that you think is evidence, but without a valid proposition, it's just stuff without a valid proposition. You claim it's evidence for your invalid proposition.

You showed me a picture of a guy in a dress and I showed you a picture of a middle eastern man. If I saw a guy in a dress why would I think it was Jesus? Was he a renowned cross-dresser that loved the white make-up?

If there is an all powerful, loving god, he/she/it would surely be able to make him/her/itself known to all beyond any shadow of a doubt - this has never happened.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
mauserand9mm, it seems normal here for you to make huge and sweeping claims about "fact", which immediately make your claims suspect. Yet, you claim such heavy dependence on evidence and proof, and pretend that all others should do that as you do.

This is your big opportunity to be convincing. So, please provide the hard evidence and proof that caused you to believe the truth of these, your utterances, as selected from your posts and noted below Hard evidence and proof now – not observations or opinions. You said this stuff – underlines to provide focus for hard facts.

Everybody says that their god is the real god

All other religions claim the same “proof” (with regard to the spirit of truth living in one’s faith)

Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence

200 denominations of Christians reading from the same book (Bible)

The bible is factually and historically wrong - - - alledged (sic) events - - - - there is zero evidence to support the fantastic events written down in it.

there are thousands of gods to choose from - - - - - Many are jealous gods and will be upset if you choose a false god

Waiting here - just pop out those facts and proofs and all will be well.

Sure.

I don’t have a compendium of dismissing the religious bullshit but I’ll try and point you to some good sources of information.

Huh? Why would you have issue with this? Don’t you think people who believe in a god believe that their god is the real god? You must be on crack.

All other religions claim the same “proof” (with regard to the spirit of truth living in one’s faith)

That onus is on your guys. Proof would be demonstrable and attributable to it’s proven source (eg god provided you with a soul and you need to feel him in your heart yada yada yada). Still waiting for the evidence.

Looks like I may have got this wrong – there are 200 Christian denominations in the US, and about 45,000 globally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

https://www.livescience.com/christianity-denominations.html

The bible is factually and historically wrong - - - alledged (sic) events - - - - there is zero evidence to support the fantastic events written down in it.

There’s a fuck-ton of useful information here for starters:

https://ehrmanblog.org/tag/biblical-discrepancies/

Bart used to be one of you guys before he saw the light, but that's only because he put in the hard yards and did proper research. There are many others who have also done so.

The fantastic events still go unsupported and unsubstantiated - you got any proof that you are withholding from us?

there are thousands of gods to choose from - - - - - Many are jealous gods and will be upset if you choose a false god

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deity

https://ideas.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Gods

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm

Maybe only your god is the jealous one.

You fail mauserand9mm - posted a bunch of someone else's claims and specious data, and proved nothing. Come up with your proofs, please.

Hey, I don't know it all. There are experts in their fields, under peer review, and researchers also subject to skeptic review. That's why I direct you to the their work. So does that mean you know it all on your side of the arguement, or is that just what you believe?
This is not an argument and, no, it does not mean that I know it all - impossible - and I hope never to behave as if I think I do. So, I make it a practice not to jump onto atheist threads (especially daily) and try to critique or undermine anything on which atheists base their beliefs/positions.

OTOH, you do so on a thread about Christianity and fling out these sweeping declarations, claiming also to be heavy duty evidence and proof based. However, when asked for your beloved and devoted evidence/truth, you provide practically none and almost exclusively refer your questioner to the opinions and writings of others. Apparently you are willing to accept their views without evidence or proof. Very strange. Seems like time to leave the maze.

You're just being defensive.

What's wrong with asking people why they have faith and drilling down on some of the finer points? Wouldn't they already have done that to convince themselves?

However, when asked for your beloved and devoted evidence/truth, you provide practically none and almost exclusively refer your questioner to the opinions and writings of others. Apparently you are willing to accept their views without evidence or proof.

I have trust that their works are the best possible explanations possible because they are recognised experts in their fields and are subject to peer review by fellow experts. Like most people I have trust in many things in daily life because it's impossible to research and maintain a normal life, but it would be possible to do so. I trust my car won't simply fall apart on the road and I could research the design that was undertaken to produce the car, the inspection and testing procedures, the qualifications and training of the service personnel, the testing and verification of the spare parts used etc. There is evidence to be found if I went looking for it. There is none of this with faith.

I doubt that anyone would drive a vehicle assembled by talented [bleep] and then prayed to god to establish road worthiness.

Comment about the blather above as written and posted earlier by mauserand9mm:
"You got proof of this? Not just what was written (people can write anything - doesn't even have to be true)" That smells like self-description.

And, that last sentence above in red is a prime example of desperation - a ridiculous attempt at example - too silly to take seriously. Get relevant. And you say "defensive"?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Jesus and His guys were way north of Jerusalem, in what is nowadays Syria, on their way to Caesarea Philippi, He asked them what was the word on the street about Him…? They gave various answers, and then He asked His guys who they thought He was…?

Peter in particular responded that he thought Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of the living God. And Jesus confirmed that He was indeed. And on that declaration (which Jesus referred to as a rock) of Peter’s, He said He’d build His ekklesia…His movement, His congregation, His gathering, His assembly…and that the gates of Hades would not overcome it.

He made it clear that He was starting something new and that death itself would not overcome it. His death wouldn’t stop it, and none of their deaths would stop it either. What they were about to begin together, this new movement, nothing was gonna stop it.

Rome wasn’t fond of people who started new movements, and the Jewish Temple wasn’t fond of people who started new movements. And they were all aware of what happened to people who started new movements. And it happened to Jesus.

And some of those same men who were with Him when these things happened would later document why His death was not the death of the movement. And the reason His death wasn’t the death of the movement was because Jesus didn’t do what other dead people do.

He did not stay dead…!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
mauserand9mm, it seems normal here for you to make huge and sweeping claims about "fact", which immediately make your claims suspect. Yet, you claim such heavy dependence on evidence and proof, and pretend that all others should do that as you do.

This is your big opportunity to be convincing. So, please provide the hard evidence and proof that caused you to believe the truth of these, your utterances, as selected from your posts and noted below Hard evidence and proof now – not observations or opinions. You said this stuff – underlines to provide focus for hard facts.

Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence

Waiting here - just pop out those facts and proofs and all will be well.

Sure.

I don’t have a compendium of dismissing the religious bullshit but I’ll try and point you to some good sources of information.

Huh? Why would you have issue with this? Don’t you think people who believe in a god believe that their god is the real god? You must be on crack.

That onus is on your guys. Proof would be demonstrable and attributable to it’s proven source (eg god provided you with a soul and you need to feel him in your heart yada yada yada). Still waiting for the evidence.

Looks like I may have got this wrong – there are 200 Christian denominations in the US, and about 45,000 globally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

https://www.livescience.com/christianity-denominations.html

There’s a fuck-ton of useful information here for starters:

https://ehrmanblog.org/tag/biblical-discrepancies/

Bart used to be one of you guys before he saw the light, but that's only because he put in the hard yards and did proper research. There are many others who have also done so.

The fantastic events still go unsupported and unsubstantiated - you got any proof that you are withholding from us?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deity

https://ideas.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Gods

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm

Maybe only your god is the jealous one.

You fail mauserand9mm - posted a bunch of someone else's claims and specious data, and proved nothing. Come up with your proofs, please.

Hey, I don't know it all. There are experts in their fields, under peer review, and researchers also subject to skeptic review. That's why I direct you to the their work. So does that mean you know it all on your side of the arguement, or is that just what you believe?
This is not an argument and, no, it does not mean that I know it all - impossible - and I hope never to behave as if I think I do. So, I make it a practice not to jump onto atheist threads (especially daily) and try to critique or undermine anything on which atheists base their beliefs/positions.

OTOH, you do so on a thread about Christianity and fling out these sweeping declarations, claiming also to be heavy duty evidence and proof based. However, when asked for your beloved and devoted evidence/truth, you provide practically none and almost exclusively refer your questioner to the opinions and writings of others. Apparently you are willing to accept their views without evidence or proof. Very strange. Seems like time to leave the maze.

You're just being defensive.

What's wrong with asking people why they have faith and drilling down on some of the finer points? Wouldn't they already have done that to convince themselves?

However, when asked for your beloved and devoted evidence/truth, you provide practically none and almost exclusively refer your questioner to the opinions and writings of others. Apparently you are willing to accept their views without evidence or proof.

I have trust that their works are the best possible explanations possible because they are recognised experts in their fields and are subject to peer review by fellow experts. Like most people I have trust in many things in daily life because it's impossible to research and maintain a normal life, but it would be possible to do so. I trust my car won't simply fall apart on the road and I could research the design that was undertaken to produce the car, the inspection and testing procedures, the qualifications and training of the service personnel, the testing and verification of the spare parts used etc. There is evidence to be found if I went looking for it. There is none of this with faith.

I doubt that anyone would drive a vehicle assembled by talented [bleep] and then prayed to god to establish road worthiness.

Comment about the blather above as written and posted earlier by mauserand9mm:
"You got proof of this? Not just what was written (people can write anything - doesn't even have to be true)" That smells like self-description.

And, that last sentence above in red is a prime example of desperation - a ridiculous attempt at example - too silly to take seriously. Get relevant. And you say "defensive"?

Sounds a lot like you got nothing.

Well?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mauserand9mm=[quote/]
You don't realise that evidence is proof, and confirms a proposition. You see stuff that you think is evidence, but without a valid proposition, it's just stuff without a valid proposition. You claim it's evidence for your invalid proposition.[quote/]

Evidence will never be 100% — there’s always the chance that everything you think you know turns out to be false — but the evidence allows you to make current-best-evidence-guesses….We can build up piles and piles of evidence for ideas. When the pile reaches a certain height, it behooves us to begin to take it rather seriously. That is, until someone removes a critical piece from the bottom of the pile, and the entire edifice comes crashing down.

Proof is the final verdict that removes all doubts, whereas evidence only leads one in the direction of a fact or statement....now, as for me, because of all the evidence, I am a true believer.

Illegitimi non carborundum

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mauserand9mm=[quote/]
You don't realise that evidence is proof, and confirms a proposition. You see stuff that you think is evidence, but without a valid proposition, it's just stuff without a valid proposition. You claim it's evidence for your invalid proposition.[quote/]

Evidence will never be 100% — there’s always the chance that everything you think you know turns out to be false — but the evidence allows you to make current-best-evidence-guesses….We can build up piles and piles of evidence for ideas. When the pile reaches a certain height, it behooves us to begin to take it rather seriously. That is, until someone removes a critical piece from the bottom of the pile, and the entire edifice comes crashing down.

Proof is the final verdict that removes all doubts, whereas evidence only leads one in the direction of a fact or statement....now, as for me, because of all the evidence, I am a true believer.

What you define as evidence is actually data. You claim as evidence because you have a preconcieved belief of a god, and are therefore ascribing the data as evidence of god. You have to prove a god exists first and then prove the data is a result of the god's actions, irrespective of how much data you have.

Just look up the meaning of evidence.

You are trying to make the data fit the god belief. This is just what the bible writers did, except they fabicated stories to try and make it fit - just look at how many things they got wrong as our understanding of the natural world grew. God never told them, they were bullcrapping.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Well, yes….God is Spirit and yes, you do not detect Him.

But, “detectable” He is…..whether you think so or not.

See,s to me that you just keep on talking to yourself…. Are you just “whistling in a graveyard?”

Saying God is detectable doesn't make it so.

If God was detectable, we would not be having this dispute.

If God was detectable, the whole world would accept the existence of God like they do the existence of anything that is detectable and has been detected.

What you refer to is your own subjective experiences based on what you believe.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
DBT posted.....

"What a load of Crock. I don't write the definitions given in dictionaries.

As it happens, there is a condition where people hold convictions without the support of evidence....which is why we say they have faith that their conviction is true.

Now, as we are talking about religion, which is a belief in any of a number of versions of God or gods, without the support of evidence, what do our dictionaries tell us?

faith
2: belief that is not based on proof: (He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.)
3: belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.

Definition of faith
b- 1: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

As anyone can see, these are not my definitions. It is not something I insist on, or how I ''understand it.''

This is just the definition of faith in relation to any belief that is held without the support of evidence.

As we have no evidence for the existence of any of the many versions of God or gods, to believe in these things is a matter of faith: as defined above.

You don't have a leg to stand on."

Nope and as usual you are either just plain wrong or in some clumsy attempt to “redefine” biblical. "What a load of Crock is right. You retreat into your own mind and dredge up nonsense based on your own opinion and NOT based on Jesus or Chrisian doctrine.

Like MM, you are simply making things up in an apparent attempt to convince ... yourself.....IDK...

So…..in this case you build a strawman to knock down.

Faith…..

1. - Where does “faith in God” come from?

Romans 1:16-17 ….”Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.”

2. – How does one receive “faith.” Faith is a gift but you must stretch out your hand and receive it. A “gift” is not a gift unless the recipient takes it. Believe the testimony of the Spirit about your own sin and the truth about Jesus and “choose” or “believe” …. Or “accept”…… use your own descriptor words here …. and faith is imparted to you. When it is imparted, there is no more doubt.

Ephesians 2:8-9……”For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.”

3. – Once you have faith, it is very very real.

Hebrews 11:1…..”Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen…”

Get that? “… the EVIDENCE of things not see.”

Simple terms…. “proof”

One can view this faith as “assurance”… or as confidence or simple “reality” …. Or as a “firm foundation”…. Or….. “the real being of..”…. or “ the actual existence of” ….or a “resolute trust” …. Or as “the substantial nature of….”

There are two points here... the first is that yes, there is real, reliable evidence..... the second is..... you... as yet, do not have it.

Hebrews 11:1 does not refer to external, objective evidence as a foundation for belief, it tells us that faith is its own justification.

''Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'' - Hebrews 11:1 equates to ''belief that is not based on proof''

You say that there is evidence, but what you mean is subjective experience, which is an expression of faith.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mauserand9mm=[quote/]

Probability. Given an absence of evidence and plenty of claims. How likely is that Allah exists and Mohammad was His prophet? How likely is it that Brahman manifests the Universe and is all that exists? You know that God is not believed to be the same even in Abrahamic faiths? Christianity has Jesus as the son of God, sacrificed himself for the sin sin of mankind, etc, Judaism does not have this belief. It can't all be true.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
DBT posted.....

"What a load of Crock. I don't write the definitions given in dictionaries.

As it happens, there is a condition where people hold convictions without the support of evidence....which is why we say they have faith that their conviction is true.

Now, as we are talking about religion, which is a belief in any of a number of versions of God or gods, without the support of evidence, what do our dictionaries tell us?

faith
2: belief that is not based on proof: (He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.)
3: belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.

Definition of faith
b- 1: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

As anyone can see, these are not my definitions. It is not something I insist on, or how I ''understand it.''

This is just the definition of faith in relation to any belief that is held without the support of evidence.

As we have no evidence for the existence of any of the many versions of God or gods, to believe in these things is a matter of faith: as defined above.

You don't have a leg to stand on."

Nope and as usual you are either just plain wrong or in some clumsy attempt to “redefine” biblical. "What a load of Crock is right. You retreat into your own mind and dredge up nonsense based on your own opinion and NOT based on Jesus or Chrisian doctrine.

Like MM, you are simply making things up in an apparent attempt to convince ... yourself.....IDK...

So…..in this case you build a strawman to knock down.

Faith…..

1. - Where does “faith in God” come from?

Romans 1:16-17 ….”Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.”

2. – How does one receive “faith.” Faith is a gift but you must stretch out your hand and receive it. A “gift” is not a gift unless the recipient takes it. Believe the testimony of the Spirit about your own sin and the truth about Jesus and “choose” or “believe” …. Or “accept”…… use your own descriptor words here …. and faith is imparted to you. When it is imparted, there is no more doubt.

Ephesians 2:8-9……”For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.”

3. – Once you have faith, it is very very real.

Hebrews 11:1…..”Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen…”

Get that? “… the EVIDENCE of things not see.”

Simple terms…. “proof”

One can view this faith as “assurance”… or as confidence or simple “reality” …. Or as a “firm foundation”…. Or….. “the real being of..”…. or “ the actual existence of” ….or a “resolute trust” …. Or as “the substantial nature of….”

There are two points here... the first is that yes, there is real, reliable evidence..... the second is..... you... as yet, do not have it.

Hebrews 11:1 does not refer to external, objective evidence as a foundation for belief, it tells us that faith is its own justification.

''Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'' - Hebrews 11:1 equates to ''belief that is not based on proof''

You say that there is evidence, but what you mean is subjective experience, which is an expression of faith.

Well, you are still wrong. You keep going back to a dictionary definition of faith and yet the general discussion regards “faith” as set forth in the Bible. You are apparently unprepared to discuss biblical faith. No surprise there.

Your comment on Hebrews 11:1:is simply incomprehensible. Faith is not it’s own justification. Just more bafflegab on your part.

You are also still wrong about God being not being detectable. Jesus performed many miracles during his earthly ministry and yet the Pharisees denied him and continued to reject Him. He was definitely “detectable” but no, He was still rejected. In the same way, even if Jesus walked among us today, I suspect you would find reason to reject.

To a certain extent, you are doing the same as the Pharisees……. The evidence of God is all around us and the ministry of the Holy Spirit is active and ongoing. But…. You are like the Pharisee that denies God. The Pharisees had the Old Testament writings that they seemingly ignored…. And then they had Jesus in their midst and yet denied Him.

I am pretty sure you will not do it…..your mind seems to be closed…. but your own investigation into why the Pharisees rejected Jesus may be instructive.

Btw… God is indeed “detectable” …… Seek and Find….. Don’t seek, Don’t Find……

Seemingly you and MM are both choosing “Don’t Seek”…… do not be fooled, this is a choice.

Last edited by TF49; 06/16/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Further, the Holy Spirit.....".... lives with you (us) and will be IN you. So, when a Christian says "I have proof." He really does... the Spirit of Truth is living in that born again Christian.

All other religions claim the same “proof” – you sure you haven’t been fooled by Satan? It sounds like the sort thing that he would convince you of.

Accept or reject....Choose wisely.....

False dichotomy right there – not accepting is not the same as rejecting. Serious consideration would require evidence. Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence and sounds more like a gambling issue.

MM,

It is not my experience that other religions claim the same thing. I have been around plenty of Moslems and a few Hindus in my travels and had a number of”religious” conversations with more than just a few of them….. not once has a Muslim or Hindu said anything….not one word about the indwelling of the Almighty in them.

Unless you can justify your statement, your statement that “all religions claim the same proof” is false.

Just more cliches from you…..

They all claim to be the truth and claim the true god. The details are otherwise nuances that don't mean anything given the flawed assertions in the first place.

You missed the point… on purpose I suppose…... Only the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit fill the believer this side of eternity. Even you can admit that that is a very significant difference…..

You got proof of this? Not just what was written (people can write anything - doesn't even have to be true).

Well, you are the one that made the claim that “other religions” claim the same “indwelling of God.”

Can you back up your statement or not?

Go ahead, give it a try….

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by antlers
When Jesus and His guys were way north of Jerusalem, in what is nowadays Syria, on their way to Caesarea Philippi, He asked them what was the word on the street about Him…? They gave various answers, and then He asked His guys who they thought He was…?

Peter in particular responded that he thought Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of the living God. And Jesus confirmed that He was indeed. And on that declaration (which Jesus referred to as a rock) of Peter’s, He said He’d build His ekklesia…His movement, His congregation, His gathering, His assembly…and that the gates of Hades would not overcome it.

He made it clear that He was starting something new and that death itself would not overcome it. His death wouldn’t stop it, and none of their deaths would stop it either. What they were about to begin together, this new movement, nothing was gonna stop it.

Rome wasn’t fond of people who started new movements, and the Jewish Temple wasn’t fond of people who started new movements. And they were all aware of what happened to people who started new movements. And it happened to Jesus.

And some of those same men who were with Him when these things happened would later document why His death was not the death of the movement. And the reason His death wasn’t the death of the movement was because Jesus didn’t do what other dead people do.

He did not stay dead…!

Pretty much answers most any question of Faith

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Mauserand9mm=[quote/]

Probability. Given an absence of evidence and plenty of claims. How likely is that Allah exists and Mohammad was His prophet? How likely is it that Brahman manifests the Universe and is all that exists? You know that God is not believed to be the same even in Abrahamic faiths? Christianity has Jesus as the son of God, sacrificed himself for the sin sin of mankind, etc, Judaism does not have this belief. It can't all be true.

What has this to do with Mauserand9mm claim that evidence is proof???

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mauserand9mm=[quote/]

What you define as evidence is actually data. You claim as evidence because you have a preconcieved belief of a god, and are therefore ascribing the data as evidence of god. You have to prove a god exists first and then prove the data is a result of the god's actions, irrespective of how much data you have.

You are trying to make the data fit the god belief. This is just what the bible writers did, except they fabicated stories to try and make it fit - just look at how many things they got wrong as our understanding of the natural world grew. God never told them, they were bullcrapping.

No, I was not trying to make it fit the God belief....you state that evidence is proof....I said you are wrong in that proof is the final verdict that removes all doubts, whereas evidence only leads one in the direction of a fact or statement....then I added, as for me, because of all the evidence (leading me in the direction of a fact) (but no PROOF), I choose to be a believer....you say evidence is proof and I say you are wrong....it is simple, leave the God factor out, and it is very simple even more...evidence is not proof.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Evidence that demands a verdict:

Josh McDowell Book

This guy was a big time Atheist who turned into a believer after realizing his opinion wasn't based on facts.

Atheists who search for the truth eventually find it and become transformed in the process.

Ask and you will receive. Seek and you will find. It's your life, choose wisely.

God Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The faith of Jesus’ original followers was anchored to the reality of the physical, literal, in-history resurrection of Jesus. And they didn’t give their lives because of what they believed. People give their lives because of what they believe all the time. They gave their lives because of what they saw. And since their faith was anchored to that, does it make sense that our faith should be anchored to that as well…?

If Jesus rose from the dead, then it’s game flippin’ on…!

And if He didn’t, then none of it matters anyway. Period.

Skeptics, especially those with a clear and biased agenda, choose the Bible…over and over and over…as the battleground for the faith of Christianity.

To me, the question that believers should wrestle to the ground is not is the whole Bible literally true and without error…?

To me, the question that believers should wrestle to the ground is simply did or did not Jesus rise from the dead…?

The epic culture shaping story of Christianity did not begin with a book; it began with an event.

When Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimethea removed Jesus’ lifeless body from the cross, there we no longer any believers. Zero. They all quit believing.

But nobody excepted no body.

The faith of Christianity didn’t begin in Genesis. It began on Easter morning. And not because somebody read something. But because some people saw something.

Christianity’s uniqueness is that it’s rooted in history. In an event. The event of the resurrection was the beginning of Christianity. Christianity doesn’t hang in the balance of whether the 66 different books of the Bible can all be proven to be literally true. Christianity hangs on a single event. Period.

Apostle Paul made it crystal clear when he said that if Jesus has not been raised from the dead, then all of our preaching is useless and so is your faith.

It all rises and falls on the death and resurrection of Jesus. Period. If He rose from the dead, then game on. And if He didn’t, then we’re wasting our time.

The faith of Christianity is anchored to that single, solitary event. It was for Jesus’ original followers. And it makes sense to me that our faith should be anchored to that as well.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Further, the Holy Spirit.....".... lives with you (us) and will be IN you. So, when a Christian says "I have proof." He really does... the Spirit of Truth is living in that born again Christian.

All other religions claim the same “proof” – you sure you haven’t been fooled by Satan? It sounds like the sort thing that he would convince you of.

Accept or reject....Choose wisely.....

False dichotomy right there – not accepting is not the same as rejecting. Serious consideration would require evidence. Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence and sounds more like a gambling issue.

MM,

It is not my experience that other religions claim the same thing. I have been around plenty of Moslems and a few Hindus in my travels and had a number of”religious” conversations with more than just a few of them….. not once has a Muslim or Hindu said anything….not one word about the indwelling of the Almighty in them.

Unless you can justify your statement, your statement that “all religions claim the same proof” is false.

Just more cliches from you…..

They all claim to be the truth and claim the true god. The details are otherwise nuances that don't mean anything given the flawed assertions in the first place.

You missed the point… on purpose I suppose…... Only the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit fill the believer this side of eternity. Even you can admit that that is a very significant difference…..

You got proof of this? Not just what was written (people can write anything - doesn't even have to be true).

Well, you are the one that made the claim that “other religions” claim the same “indwelling of God.”

Go ahead, give it a try….

No I didn't.

Don't need to, I never made that statement.

Not Applicable - refer above.

You religious dudes are funny buggers - you read between the lines and totally ignore the lines. Your mind is your self-contained source of befuddlement, and that's no bafflegab.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mauserand9mm=[quote/]

No, I was not trying to make it fit the God belief....you state that evidence is proof....I said you are wrong in that proof is the final verdict that removes all doubts, whereas evidence only leads one in the direction of a fact or statement....then I added, as for me, because of all the evidence (leading me in the direction of a fact) (but no PROOF), I choose to be a believer....you say evidence is proof and I say you are wrong....it is simple, leave the God factor out, and it is very simple even more...evidence is not proof.

Evidence is proof. It only becomes evidence of x when x has been proven to be true. Before that it is just exhibit, data or observations. I did the Google hard yards for you:

I think you've been watching too many lawyer shows on TV. They sometimes use the term "evidence" along with the accusation of guilt but that's just a supposition - if the supposition is false then the "evidence" isn't actually evidence and never was.

You're just collecting the data and pretending it's potential evidence for your belief in Allah, or space apes or whatever you are wanting to believe in, as if it provides more credibility to your belief. It's only leading you to where you want to go and isn't actually leading you anywhere at all. It's more of a mental masturbation exercise than anything. Why are you trying so hard to convince yourself of your faith - it just takes one big leap I would've thought.

Well?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mauserand9mm=[quote/]

Evidence is proof. It only becomes evidence of x when x has been proven to be true. Before that it is just exhibit, data or observations. I did the Google hard yards for you:

I think you've been watching too many lawyer shows on TV. They sometimes use the term "evidence" along with the accusation of guilt but that's just a supposition - if the supposition is false then the "evidence" isn't actually evidence and never was.

You're just collecting the data and pretending it's potential evidence for your belief in Allah, or space apes or whatever you are wanting to believe in, as if it provides more credibility to your belief. It's only leading you to where you want to go and isn't actually leading you anywhere at all. It's more of a mental masturbation exercise than anything. Why are you trying so hard to convince yourself of your faith - it just takes one big leap I would've thought.

You are bigly wrong...First, you were telling me I'm trying to make a fit for God, and now you say I'm watching too many lawyer shows...again, evidence will never be 100% — there’s always the chance that everything you think you know turns out to be false — but the evidence allows you to make current-best-evidence-guesses…. We can build up piles and piles of evidence for ideas. When the pile reaches a certain height, it behooves us to begin to take it rather seriously. That is, until someone removes a critical piece from the bottom of the pile, and the entire edifice comes crashing down.....here is an image from Wikipedia, maybe it will help you see better regarding evidence vs proof....

Wikipedia and I are in agreement....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is now therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Our righteousness is not of ourselves. It comes from being in Christ. Joined to Him by faith, through grace.

Those who claim some sort of practical holiness/obedience to some set of laws is required for salvation, my only question is "how much"? 90% conformance? 99%? 100%?

Yeah, 100% conformance. And the only way we can achieve that is if Christ's 100% is applied to our account....imputed to us.

Not going to happen by our hand.

This is what I believe the Bible teaches. We are completely dependent upon God for our salvation...from start to finish. We do labor regarding our sanctification, however!!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 15 of 36 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 3 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.