Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Some are saying from the heat, but heat doesn't kill each and every animal at the same time. The weak would go first, then on up to the strongest days or weeks later. All at once, overnight, in the same feedlot, likely means poisoning, which feeds right into what appears to be the systematic destruction of our nation's food supply that's going on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tornado

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There go beef prices!

They are getting nice and tight, imagine being around when they start
popping!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Tornado
Wouldn't that send them flying every which way, broken bones, and the like.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Before anyone jumps to conclusions and conspiracies, I would like to hear some thoughts from guys who actually know about cattle.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was raised in the cattle business and this doesn't pass the smell test with me. We've been having much hotter, dryer summers and I've never seen anything like this before. You don't lose 2 thousand head of cattle overnight without something else going on. The OP is right in that the weaker, sick cattle would show signs of exhaustion and would alert anyone who is monitoring them.
This happens, a chicken farm burns a day or so later, the baby formula factory, just recently reopened, floods and it has to close again...
Something is going on and it isn't just nature.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Before anyone jumps to conclusions and conspiracies, I would like to hear some thoughts from guys who actually know about cattle.

We raised cattle for 30 years, but that was years ago, also. Never heard of anything like this. The only mass killing around here was caused by lightning. Fellow I know lost 19 of 20 heifers during a thunderstorm. They were bunched up under a tree right next to the fence and lightning must have hit the fence.

A whole feedlot dying overnight is mighty strange.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Buddy of mine lost several last year due to sulfates. The feed he was giving them contained it, and the pond (stock tank) they were watering out of was also found to have very high levels, due to concentrating in the soil over a period of years/evap cycles/etc.

The combination of the feed levels PLUS them drinking water like crazy in the summer, killed 13 in one spot.

The ones in Kansas likely just had no way to cool down.

In a feed lot, you’ve got no shade, hot ground, perhaps little air movement, and over-fed cattle. Maybe they’ll turn a fire hose on them, next time they get hot days AND a hot night??

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Contaminated feed or water would be my only guess. Or no water.

As has been said, the tougher animals would have survived several days at 110 degrees or higher. Even if they are black.

I have pushed a lot of cattle around at 105 to 113. A fat calf will suffer. Might even succumb to shipping fever a few days later. But healthy adult animals handle it fine if they have plenty of water available.

But then " Ours is a DRY heat".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Buddy of mine lost several last year due to sulfates. The feed he was giving them contained it, and the pond (stock tank) they were watering out of was also found to have very high levels, due to concentrating in the soil over a period of years/evap cycles/etc.

The combination of the feed levels PLUS them drinking water like crazy in the summer, killed 13 in one spot.

The ones in Kansas likely just had no way to cool down.

In a feed lot, you’ve got no shade, hot ground, perhaps little air movement, and over-fed cattle. Maybe they’ll turn a fire hose on them, next time they get hot days AND a hot night??
Around here, you often see sprinklers mounted to the fences and they will wet down the herd on a hot afternoon.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
IMO 110 heat , no shade , could have easily killed a bunch of fat cattle

Ive heard maybe 10000 head dead around SW Kansas

its not just the heat , but humidity , wind conditions , and such come into play

on the right kind of day , Ive heard of plenty fats near finished out that tipped over from excess heat

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I grew up on a ranch in West Texas and we raised Angus, Herefords, Beefmasters, etc..It got plenty hot in the Summer in West Texas, probably way hotter than they ever imagined in Kansas. This story don't seem right at all if they are saying just heat caused them all to die overnight. My guess is something toxic in their feed or water, or maybe no water at all...Feed lots are confined areas with a bunch of cattle shoulder to shoulder and way overfed and overweight. I could see it getting super hot and causing them health issues, but I don't think they would all just drop overnight if they had enough water.

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 06/18/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03

We raised cattle for 30 years, but that was years ago, also. Never heard of anything like this. The only mass killing around here was caused by lightning. Fellow I know lost 19 of 20 heifers during a thunderstorm. They were bunched up under a tree right next to the fence and lightning must have hit the fence.

A whole feedlot dying overnight is mighty strange.

20 some years ago we had a tornado blow through and do some spotty damage. One of my redneck buddies called another of my redneck buddies who had a livestock trailer.
22 feeder calves disappeared from a pasture behind "Don's" house.... Seems like he bought his own stock trailer with the insurance check...
blush

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel

I grew up on a ranch in West Texas and we raised Angus, Herefords, Beefmasters, etc..It got plenty hot in the Summer in West Texas, probably way hotter than they ever imagined in Kansas. This story don't seem right at all if they are saying just heat caused them all to die overnight. My guess is something toxic in their feed or water, or maybe no water at all...Feed lots are confined areas with a bunch of cattle shoulder to shoulder and overfed. I could see it getting super hot and causing them health issues, but don't think they would all drop overnight...

ranch conditions with cows , calves , or stockers aint comparable to a bunch of heavy fats packed into a feedyard with no shade

then there is the possiblity these were northern cattle not acclimated to SW heat

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Here’s an article where veterinarians are saying it was the heat that caused the death.

https://www.kwch.com/2022/06/17/vet...-sw-kansas-cattle-deaths/?outputType=amp

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dog Food! Anyone have a dog? Yep sick and dead cows go to the dog food plant

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yeah, they claim Oswald killed Kennedy, and some lone nut gunned down a bunch of folks at an outdoor Vegas concert, AND Biden legitimately won the EC vote.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel

I grew up on a ranch in West Texas and we raised Angus, Herefords, Beefmasters, etc..It got plenty hot in the Summer in West Texas, probably way hotter than they ever imagined in Kansas. This story don't seem right at all if they are saying just heat caused them all to die overnight. My guess is something toxic in their feed or water, or maybe no water at all...Feed lots are confined areas with a bunch of cattle shoulder to shoulder and overfed. I could see it getting super hot and causing them health issues, but don't think they would all drop overnight...

ranch conditions with cows , calves , or stockers aint comparable to a bunch of heavy fats packed into a feedyard with no shade

then there is the possiblity these were northern cattle not acclimated to SW heat

Yeah, those feed lots are some cruel crap in my opinion, and if these cattle really did just die from heat, then the owner of the said feed lot needs to face some charges of animal cruelty.
Cattle are some pretty darn tough and resilient animals so you can imagine what kind of suffering they would have went through for 2,000 of them to die that quickly...Some people are just damn stupid and cut corners at raising animals to maximize profit...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 06/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bet there was a very large amount of cattle In that feed lot. So 2000 plus is just a percentage.

110 no shade , hot feed ( as in high carbohydrates) can smoke a “ fat or two” in this case 2000.

If you look at the carcasses, all bloated, all fat. They have been moved outta their pens.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.