Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CashisKing
A friend gifted me a Cold Steel Natchez Bowie Fixed Blade Knife.

An impressive piece of iron.

I kept it for a few years... then sold it (with his blessings) and gave him the money.

I think I got him $500 for it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A huge knife has it's place, but personally I prefer to carry a second G19 as a practical matter of function.
Ethan Edwards had one of those. I guess it's his son's now.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I’m perplexed to wonder if the clip pint feature is more of a post James Bowie thing. Something brother Rezin possibly had more to do with in the evolution of the knife. Definitely feel those Sheffied makers really profited from its further development. Just my rambling. I really don’t know.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
‘Nother Jim Bowie bowie candidate.

James Black, Little Rock Arkansas made what are now called “Coffin Handled Bowie’s” in the 1830’s, at least one of which was apparently purchased by a Bowie brother. Here’s an original James Black work...

A knife like this might have fallen into Mexican hands at the Alamo....

https://blademag.com/knife-history/the-sea-of-mud-knife-james-bowies-knife-found-pt-1/amp

Mike I am pretty sure that the original Bowie was made at Old Washington, Arkansas, a few miles West of Hope. Rezin on owned land near Hwy 71 South of Texarkana, according to a sign that used to be along the Highway. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have the top of the line Cold Steel Bowie knife. Very well razor edge sharper. Lay a 2 ought error welding cable on a oak skid and cut it in half with 1 chop

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A true double edged blade seems like more of a purpose-specific fighting knife to me. Even if the top edge is only partial length. It should be more than ‘clipped’, it should be sharp, edged, able to be honed. For stabbing and sweeping/slashing both directions.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by milespatton
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
‘Nother Jim Bowie bowie candidate.

James Black, Little Rock Arkansas made what are now called “Coffin Handled Bowie’s” in the 1830’s, at least one of which was apparently purchased by a Bowie brother. Here’s an original James Black work...

A knife like this might have fallen into Mexican hands at the Alamo....

https://blademag.com/knife-history/the-sea-of-mud-knife-james-bowies-knife-found-pt-1/amp

Mike I am pretty sure that the original Bowie was made at Old Washington, Arkansas, a few miles West of Hope. Rezin on owned land near Hwy 71 South of Texarkana, according to a sign that used to be along the Highway. miles

Miles, something else to remember when discussing "original" Bowies is that Noah Smithwick, while still the blacksmith and gunsmith at San Felipe discussing in his monumental "The Evolution of a State" that James B commissioned for him to fabricate a new fighting knife while he (Bowie) was in town. Smithwick goes on to say that he believed this was the knife He had at the Alamo. But he didn’t know for sure.

Hard to say as Smithwick was exiled from San Felipe for assisting a friend to escape a murder charge in 1831. Lots could have happened in those years btwn 31-36.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
A true double edged blade seems like more of a purpose-specific fighting knife to me. Even if the top edge is only partial length. It should be more than ‘clipped’, it should be sharp, edged, able to be honed. For stabbing and sweeping/slashing both directions.

Mr. Bagwell explained this was the primary use and advantage to the sharpened clip point. Especially when deployed by an experienced blade man.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
johnw;
Top of the morning to you, I hope the day finds you well and you're getting the weather you're needing.

Thanks for the thread and for the responses, since as a lifetime knife guy it's a subject I've studied for at least a half a century now.

In my experience there's likely more opinions about Bowie knives than there are types so a qualified "it depends" is a logical place to start.

Over the years I've ground out at least four fairly big Bowie type blades, two for other folks and two for me.

The one on the left is actually heavier than the one on the right and feels too heavy and poorly balanced to most people who pick it up. The one on the right is better, but there's a bit too much curve in the antler handle.

[Linked Image]

At one point in our lives we used to do a fair bit of backpack camping and while I started with a big knife, fairly early on I quit bringing it and brought a light folding saw and a tomahawk instead for camp chores and firewood.

Then I had opportunity to correspond with a fellow who'd been beat up and chomped on by a female grizzly - he and his sheep hunting partner were in a tent, in mummy bags and she collapsed the tent onto them and started the melee. Anyways he was very generous with his time in sharing what went wrong and what went somewhat better in the aftermath. One of the takeaways he had was that he began carrying a larger fixed blade which could be used for defense in a pinch, but would be kept in the same place of the tent every night so if one needed to cut one's way out, one had the means.

After a bit of searching and horse trading I ended up with the two on the left.

[Linked Image]

The top one is a Carl Schlieper "Sportsman's Bowie", likely from the '60's at latest and it's got a really nice balance and fairly lively feel to it. The bottom one isn't a Bowie truly, it's a Gryphon M30A1 but for my needs fits the bill better than the Schlieper Bowie when a bigger knife is called for.

We're not allowed handguns for wilderness carry and in National Parks no firearms are allowed, so out here when we're hiking in one I'm usually carrying bear spray, the Gryphon and using Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn for my hiking stick instead of a lightweight one that I use other places.

Anyways sir, that's just one old Canuck's thoughts on "using knives" which are sort of Bowie sized.

All the best and thanks for the thread again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn cool blade. Just a big azz butcher knife.

Chef's knife.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Damn cool blade. Just a big azz butcher knife.

Chef's knife.

Bingo. Apparently very popular then too!

Founder

WS

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
johnw;
Top of the morning to you, I hope the day finds you well and you're getting the weather you're needing.

Thanks for the thread and for the responses, since as a lifetime knife guy it's a subject I've studied for at least a half a century now.

In my experience there's likely more opinions about Bowie knives than there are types so a qualified "it depends" is a logical place to start.

Over the years I've ground out at least four fairly big Bowie type blades, two for other folks and two for me.

The one on the left is actually heavier than the one on the right and feels too heavy and poorly balanced to most people who pick it up. The one on the right is better, but there's a bit too much curve in the antler handle.

[Linked Image]

At one point in our lives we used to do a fair bit of backpack camping and while I started with a big knife, fairly early on I quit bringing it and brought a light folding saw and a tomahawk instead for camp chores and firewood.

Then I had opportunity to correspond with a fellow who'd been beat up and chomped on by a female grizzly - he and his sheep hunting partner were in a tent, in mummy bags and she collapsed the tent onto them and started the melee. Anyways he was very generous with his time in sharing what went wrong and what went somewhat better in the aftermath. One of the takeaways he had was that he began carrying a larger fixed blade which could be used for defense in a pinch, but would be kept in the same place of the tent every night so if one needed to cut one's way out, one had the means.

After a bit of searching and horse trading I ended up with the two on the left.

[Linked Image]

The top one is a Carl Schlieper "Sportsman's Bowie", likely from the '60's at latest and it's got a really nice balance and fairly lively feel to it. The bottom one isn't a Bowie truly, it's a Gryphon M30A1 but for my needs fits the bill better than the Schlieper Bowie when a bigger knife is called for.

We're not allowed handguns for wilderness carry and in National Parks no firearms are allowed, so out here when we're hiking in one I'm usually carrying bear spray, the Gryphon and using Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn for my hiking stick instead of a lightweight one that I use other places.

Anyways sir, that's just one old Canuck's thoughts on "using knives" which are sort of Bowie sized.

All the best and thanks for the thread again.

Dwayne

No clue who Carl Schlieper is, but dollars to donuts the knife shown in top left is Puma brand. Lanyard to rivets to Sambar stag to finger guard to blade. If that ain’t a Puma, I’ll eat my shorts. If that’s the knife you’re speaking about. Bottom photo.

Sheath too. No question.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 06/19/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is it to be left to the vitiated taste of the brutal few to give mind to the tone of a community in setting up the code of the Bowie knife against the code of common law?....

...are we to tolerate this Bowie knife system under the false pretense of self-defense? ...Many a woman is made a mourning widow, many a child made a pitiable orphan, and many a father childless through the use of this accursed weapon ..

The good ol’ days, you’re a Judge, you go to a tailor with your brother the Doctor to get some suits made. You feel the tailor is rude, so you go at the tailor with a poker.....

Bloodshed, death and the Bowie knife.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_3364 by Sharps Man, on [bleep]

15" blade! Razor sharp also!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 06/19/22.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Harry;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're getting decent weather down in your area which I'll guess is New Hampshire.

With apologies for not mentioning this about that, the Carl Schlieper did come with a Puma marked sheath, so it fits but isn't original to the knife.

The Carl Schlieper Eye Brand was a Solingen knife making firm that still looks to be in business. Here's a link from the Knife Center.

https://www.knivesplus.com/EYEBRAND-KNIVES.HTML

While I wish it was a Puma because of the value, it isn't, but it's not a poorly made knife to be clear.

All the best and Happy Father's Day.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Why, Good morning Duane!

My favorite Deflave alter ego!!

Those are some cool knife displays, and deserve discussion beyond the bounds of a Bowie knife thread, but without going fully off the rails can you tell us about the next Bowie you're gonna build for me?

Also... Two spots below each Bowie in your top pic are a couple of similar looking knives. Narrower blade profile. Antler or bone handles. Spectacular looking knives and Please tell about them...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]

GR

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One of my few crew served knives. 30/06 ctg for scale

Shed horn for handle courtesy Rio7

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/19/22.

Founder

WS

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

Mr. Bagwell explained this was the primary use and advantage to the sharpened clip point. Especially when deployed by an experienced blade man.

Wonder how many men have ever achieved that level of experience as a "blade man"? It's not what most guys aspire to.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Bingo. Apparently very popular then too!
Yep. Everything I've ever read about the original Bowie knife indicates it was likely a large chef's knife.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Miles! Great to hear from you! I’m sure you’re right.

There doesn’t seem to be any State more invested in Bowie knives than Arkansas.

Arkansas senate names the Bowie knife as the official state knife

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,832
Posts18,517,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.