Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by akrange
If Kornhole and Mr. Crispy Coon get their way on the Newly Ramp Up of Common Core / CRT Legislation the NGO Nazi’s stand to Reep Billions in Federal Funding..
More Mordor All Day ..
All the Time..
They ain’t on our Side

Roll Them or They Roll You

This is States' rights. Not for those stool sample proxy chkunts.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How about 1955 to 1985.

Thirty years , and then factor in inflation?

Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
no one truely builds real wealth by stock market investing. don't believe me, ask accountants, ask people who actually made real wealth. They say only .6% of people have a million or more in 401k. stock market investing is mainly about investing for appreciation, its a hope that whatever you buy will be worth more than you paid for it. Why not invest for cash flow instead in other types of investments? worse yet is its likely your 401k investments are taxed when you take them out.

instead of timing the markets, instead of worrying about this or that hot stock. why not seek a true financial education? financial education is NOT taught anywhere in school. indeed academic types normally have notions of financial education that are quite destructive.

My CPA differs grandly from your CPA and mine is very complimentary concerning my IRA and Keogh accounts and what they’ve built themselves up to over time with stock market investing.

I guess I’m the only person who’s ever amassed any wealth via the stock market.

Being an outlier ain’t all bad.

it depends on what you define as real wealth. The IRA and keogh accounts aren't bad, an IRA can really be invested in anything. peter thiel a pay pal founder I think has several billion in his IRA, he invested his shares of paypal in it. Its not the account its the type of investment. most IRA's and 401k are invested in the stock market. like I said stats don't lie only about .6% of people have more than 1 million in their 401k.

real wealth? 250k to half a million a year in passive income. this will take 5 to 10 million in golden goose funds to pull off most likely. If you or someone you know built a fortune of 5 to 10 million $$$ by 401k or IRA investing in the stock market. I personally want to talk to them!!! why because I want to know how they did it. because I can't find anyone who has and I have asked everyone I can think of who would know. from mortgage people who see others taxes to CPA's that do peoples taxes. the only people I see get wealthy in the stock market or those who are some sort of special deal like a private placement before a company goes public. or a public company's founders who take the company public Those people get insane rich.

Cummins I see your point but just for grins look at a chart of the DJIA values from, say, 1982 to 2022.

Last edited by ribka; 06/21/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
As long as you don't need the money the stock market is probably a good play. I've never been able to let someone play with my money. Sure wish interest rates would go where they belong, instead of where the government thinks they belong.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Westman
Not trying to be a smart azz, but I don't know and don't care. If it has an effect it will show up on the charts.

This man gets it.....

Technical trading and charts, cool stuff. I dabbled years ago and my son in law is making a fortune doing it. We have great conversations regarding technical patterns

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
How about 1955 to 1985.

Thirty years , and then factor in inflation?

no one truely builds real wealth by stock market investing. don't believe me, ask accountants, ask people who actually made real wealth. They say only .6% of people have a million or more in 401k. stock market investing is mainly about investing for appreciation, its a hope that whatever you buy will be worth more than you paid for it. Why not invest for cash flow instead in other types of investments? worse yet is its likely your 401k investments are taxed when you take them out.

instead of timing the markets, instead of worrying about this or that hot stock. why not seek a true financial education? financial education is NOT taught anywhere in school. indeed academic types normally have notions of financial education that are quite destructive.

My CPA differs grandly from your CPA and mine is very complimentary concerning my IRA and Keogh accounts and what they’ve built themselves up to over time with stock market investing.

it depends on what you define as real wealth. The IRA and keogh accounts aren't bad, an IRA can really be invested in anything. peter thiel a pay pal founder I think has several billion in his IRA, he invested his shares of paypal in it. Its not the account its the type of investment. most IRA's and 401k are invested in the stock market. like I said stats don't lie only about .6% of people have more than 1 million in their 401k.

real wealth? 250k to half a million a year in passive income. this will take 5 to 10 million in golden goose funds to pull off most likely. If you or someone you know built a fortune of 5 to 10 million $$$ by 401k or IRA investing in the stock market. I personally want to talk to them!!! why because I want to know how they did it. because I can't find anyone who has and I have asked everyone I can think of who would know. from mortgage people who see others taxes to CPA's that do peoples taxes. the only people I see get wealthy in the stock market or those who are some sort of special deal like a private placement before a company goes public. or a public company's founders who take the company public Those people get insane rich.

Cummins I see your point but just for grins look at a chart of the DJIA values from, say, 1982 to 2022.

Yep 30 yrs of flat...
If you need to retire soon you could be SOL

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Cumminscowboy is correct...
Why would anyone let the government control their money via an IRA or 401K ?????

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It took me many years working with a man that I consider to be one of the best ever at using Elliott wave to really understand that it is far more complex than it might seem. I am still not an expert but have had success over the years. I live with 5 and 10 minute charts and also layer in other technical indicators.

Are they more predictable bears 🐻or bulls?

What wave is most important?

Simply put, Elliott wave theory postulates that markets move in the direction of the overall trend in 5 waves and corrections, counter trend moves, are in three waves. So, both bullish and bearish moves are accounted for.

The third wave is generally the strongest.
Are you day trading something like the spx or as an indicator for individual stocks?

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Trump in the WH and Gold Std.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Trump in the WH and Gold Std.

Yes brother Jag!
A gold backed crypto would be cool

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dimecovers5: Been there done that - learned that lesson!
I am doing exceptionally well and have been for a long time now without being subjected to the insider induced fluctuations of that schithole full of "money changers".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no one truely builds real wealth by stock market investing. don't believe me, ask accountants, ask people who actually made real wealth.

My father made much more big tech investing than 41 years of engineering.
I made much more big tech investing than I did 30 years of engineering.
My son has made much more from big tech stock options than wages in 14 years of engineering.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by erikj
It took me many years working with a man that I consider to be one of the best ever at using Elliott wave to really understand that it is far more complex than it might seem. I am still not an expert but have had success over the years. I live with 5 and 10 minute charts and also layer in other technical indicators.

Simply put, Elliott wave theory postulates that markets move in the direction of the overall trend in 5 waves and corrections, counter trend moves, are in three waves. So, both bullish and bearish moves are accounted for.

Are you day trading something like the spx or as an indicator for individual stocks?

I don't ever day trade. I wait for Elliott set ups (short or long, doesn't matter) and try to ride a multi wave move. I would say that I am more of a longer term trader. This market has been involved with one of the largest bull markets ever so I am trading it from the long side. I tend to apply hedges when expecting pullbacks larger than a few days.

I trade mostly index futures. Some energy futures but I did that for way to long to like it anymore....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A monkey reading chicken bones could have made bank from 2010 til this February 2022.

Now it gets interesting. We are in uncharted territory now. Be interesting how effective wave analysis will be

I see USWS is up over 30 per cent after hours today

I don't ever day trade. I wait for Elliott set ups (short or long, doesn't matter) and try to ride a multi wave move. I would say that I am more of a longer term trader. This market has been involved with one of the largest bull markets ever so I am trading it from the long side. I tend to apply hedges when expecting pullbacks larger than a few days.

I trade mostly index futures. Some energy futures but I did that for way to long to like it anymore....

Last edited by ribka; 06/21/22.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Make believe.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Thanks for taking the time. Pretty interesting.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Thanks for taking the time. Pretty interesting.

Yes it is.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
To the original poster. If you want to live on the dividends then I would put it in SPYD ( S&P 500 higher dividend stocks) it pays about 3.6% . There are others, HDV, VYm and SCHD. These ETF's make up a lot of my portfolio. These ETF's avr. about 3.1%. If you have $1 million , this will give you $30K each year. The companies in the ETF's are very solid dividends. If I was you I would just put it in and be happy you dodged about a 15% downturn. It will likely go down more, but if this is the bottom, ( I dont think it is) then your portfolio starts loosing upside, and you have already avoided a lot of downside. I think we will se a sucker rally and then another downturn . We are heading into a recession. We have 5 weeks before the GDP numbers come out and it is not looking good. We already had a 1.4% drop in GDP and then revised to -2% GDP. There is nothing that says it's going to get better. I am staying in like I always did and buying more if it drops more. I will live off my divies but now only have about $20,000 per yr. in divies and I am 59 with a plan to hang it up by 62 cause I am so sore all the time . Then After I retire , I will get bored and get a phone call and decide to make $50 hr. . Why not? But I will collect SS as soon as I can and work a little bit too.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
If you were me ( age 61 ) what would you do with a big pile of cash parked? The funds I'm able to choose from have lost 20-40 percent on average worried and maybe cash is king and the market is years away from recent highs and I want to sleep at night.

In cash position your not losing money except to inflation, while sleeping in peace.

Nobody knows how long the bear market will last, but the average length I recently read, is about 13 months from the last high (Jan. 2022). Maybe longer !!!!

So, the trouble with a 401k is if you start putting money in and back out to follow the ups and downs every few weeks, you will become a victim of the 401k rules. They will warn you maybe a couple of times you are not supposed to take money out of a position until it has been in at least a month or you will get a penalty. If you keep doing it they will freeze your account meaning no shifting for a given time and you can get stuck in the wrong position during a deep drop.

My gut feeling is you could put your money into whatever fund you like and be up and down in 1 to 3 week cycles with the overall direction continuing down. How would you feel about that in 6 months?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
If the Size of Mordor on the Potomac keeps expanding and the spending which is associated with it one should look for a Bang not a Wave ..
Superficially on the Elliott Wave it should be showing a Tsunami of Biblical Proportions..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

you are correct about that, but not that many people invest that way. warren buffet, and nearly all the real pro investors say invest in index funds. They all say NONE of the mutual funds will beat the index over time. They may beat it for one year, but NEVER for the long haul. Warren buffet also says when he dies he wants his money invested in index funds. I like investments I get paid to own, and that pay me money and that I can structure so that I never pay taxes on. but dave ramsey says "good growth stock mutual fund" LOL. I was always like ummmm where. dave ramsey does have some good ideas but investing isn't one of them. neither is hard and fast rules on debt, like he has.

at the end of the day, find people that are wealthy and ask them how they did it. very very few people ever do, most never get asked. most of the self made people are eager to tell their story. Don't ask a "financial planner" ask the people that have done it themselves.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 06/22/22.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.