Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The ones that will make a preacher cuss are the Dodge car (and I guess trucks, but I have experience with the cars) with the left hand threaded lugs. I made sure it was REAL tight before I decided to take it off....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My worst: I was on a rutted single track road in the winter. I had the wheels on the center and one side to stay out of the deep frozen ruts. My fronts slid sideways into the ruts and a piece of ice sheared off a valve stem. The flat tire high centered my diff. It was too slick to back out with the tire flat. I had to put the jack under water and even when lifted, the bottom lug nuts were under water. At least I could rotate the tire. I didn't have any waterproof gloves and by the time I was out of it, my hands were completely numb. Man did they hurt when they started warming up!
I HIGHLY recommend keeping a pair of high top waterproof gloves in the car at all times.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When i started High School, I worked at a gas station every day after school, doing oil changes, pumping gas, and fixing tires, i liked fixing truck split rims, and car tires, it paid 50 cents, per tire, plus my 85 cents a hour regular pay, hell i was getting rich, i bought a 48 Ford pickup when i was 15 yrs old, a real pos, fixed it up and had a bed full of used tires, and tubes with patch's all over them, jack, block, 4-way, no tube less radials back then.
How many of you know how to do hot patch's on inter tubes? not many, didn't think so. Rio7

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 40 percent of new cars sold today do not come with a spare tire or a jack. Owners are expected to call for help on the Iphone.
Most of the young "men" today don't know how to change a tire.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Are you talking

Wheel barrow tire? .... Yes
Bicycle tire? ..... Yes
Car tire? ..... Yes
Pickup tire? ..... Yes
Smal Truck tire? .... Yes
Large semi truck tire? .... Yes
Small Tractor tire? .... Yes
Larger Tractor tire?.....Nope

Some were in day light and other in the dark. I used to cary an handyman jack and a 5 tom hydraulic jack with a piece of 2X6 to set then on. A good ratchet wrench with buster handle. Then spray wd-40 on the bolts before you tighten the lug nuts up.
Why would you spray WD 40 on the the bolts?It just drys up and has no lubrication value.How ever a dab of anti -seize works very well.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Are you talking

Wheel barrow tire? .... Yes
Bicycle tire? ..... Yes
Car tire? ..... Yes
Pickup tire? ..... Yes
Smal Truck tire? .... Yes
Large semi truck tire? .... Yes
Small Tractor tire? .... Yes
Larger Tractor tire?.....Nope

Some were in day light and other in the dark. I used to cary an handyman jack and a 5 tom hydraulic jack with a piece of 2X6 to set then on. A good ratchet wrench with buster handle. Then spray wd-40 on the bolts before you tighten the lug nuts up.
Why would you spray WD 40 on the the bolts?It just drys up and has no lubrication value.How ever a dab of anti -seize works very well.

You put a tire on an owner operators truck without anti-sieze, he will
kick your ass.

If he don't, he pays to have all his work done.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7
When i started High School, I worked at a gas station every day after school, doing oil changes, pumping gas, and fixing tires, i liked fixing truck split rims, and car tires, it paid 50 cents, per tire, plus my 85 cents a hour regular pay, hell i was getting rich, i bought a 48 Ford pickup when i was 15 yrs old, a real pos, fixed it up and had a bed full of used tires, and tubes with patch's all over them, jack, block, 4-way, no tube less radials back then.
How many of you know how to do hot patch's on inter tubes? not many, didn't think so. Rio7
I knew 2 guys who tangled with those split rims. One permanently lost the use of one arm, the other one died when his head was crushed on the shop ceiling. Working on one without a cage was pure stupidity.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rockchuck, I have changed and repaired 100s of split rims, and you are right use a cage or lower the truck on them before airing them up and mounting them. and stand back. Rio7

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Done a many of them, clamp it in that little clamp/vise light the match and watch it sizzle and hiss.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
MANY, MANY, times. So many I carry a floor jack too.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes...thankfully all have been in daylight. My wife called me at work one day with a flat on her Camry at the time, when I had a break I met her and changed that tire and it was the easiest by far.

I've had to change at least one tire oil every truck I've owned with my current being a F250. The tires on my F250 are heavy and jack placement underneath is a bitch because of the control arms...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hot patch. Where you clamp the patch to the tube and set it on fire. BTDT

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couldn't begin to count the tires I've changed. Worked for Sears auto center in college and then 10 years as a auto mechanic and then another 4 as a diesel mechanic in a rail yard.

In 1996 I messed up and had a split rim from a 45" reefer trailer come apart on me. The tire hammer I was using to break the wheels loose flew back and broke the fiberglass handle {splitting maul sized} across my right thigh. That stung a little. Luckily the wheel and tire missed me when it came flying by.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Many years ago on the way home from Elko, Nev. Before the interstate, in a wind sand storm at night on old highway 40, changed and repaired a split rim,hot patched the tube and put a boot in the tire, aired it up with a bike pump got it done, but damn near froze to death, took about 2 hours. not 1 car or truck passed. Rio7

B
B
35 years in the tire biz to date. I have pretty much done and seen it all from PLT to medium truck to Ag to Industrial to motorcycles/ATV. Been blown up more than a few times and almost killed when I got a split rim lock ring smack in the mouth back in the 80's. Ain't got much of a lower back to speak of anymore but I will still stop when I see someone struggling on the side of the road with a flat and do my best to help them learn what to do.

Last edited by bobbybirds; 06/24/22.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have changed car/truck/trailer tires quite a bit over 58 years of driving. I don't much anymore, because tires are a lot better than they used to be and I'm not quite as adventurous as I used to be. Last tire I changed was a bicycle tire about two weeks ago. I've changed tires in some gawdawful situations. Blew two tires on one trip with a horse trailer (loaded with 2 horses) one day. No spare, but fortunately a dual axle trailer and only a few miles left to get home. Tied the horses out in the pasture by the roadside and did some swapping around, made it home on one axle. Horses didn't seem to mind.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive changed tires on everything from a bicycle to a log skidder. Im not talking about just taking a mounted flat tire off and putting an aired up spare tire on, Im talking about taking it off the wheel, repairing the leak, then putting it back on the wheel and back on the machine it came off of.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Changed it into what? 🤔 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Changed it into what? 🤔 memtb
Whatever it identifies as I guess... laugh

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Today I really wish I had the tire machine and balancer I had back home. Put a nail through the sidewalk in a tire today. It was a 2 week old tire I had to replace. Hope I get better mileage this time...lol

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.