Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
What attributes do they possess that other brands don’t. Trying to figure out what I’m missing out on? I have mostly Colt’s, 6920’s, 6940’s and a 6933 plus one bushmaster varmint mfd 25 years ago.

Last edited by jackmountain; 06/24/22.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Several LE, LEO older Colts + 2 BCM's here. I don't think you're missing out on anything. I have nothing against them. To each their own. I'm sure there are some Daniel fans out there. Especially for the MK 18.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't know for sure.

I thought DD had a reputation for lightweight stuff, that was still no-compromise???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My impression of the niche they fill is high quality and durability without an insane price. Don't know how much the price qualifier still holds though.

A while back here, if memory serves, there was a thread about quality/durability and someone linked a long-running, famous thread on ar15.com wherein a guy who managed a range in Las Vegas that catered to tourist mag dump events. Their guns had huge round counts and he provided info on what parts broke and how long things lasted, etc. Not only ARs, you name it, they had it. Their ARs were largely Daniel Defense, because they had a history of keeping going. It's not clear if that was based on a head to head evaluation, or just inertia because they worked. Or I could be remembering this wrong.

I don't have any of their guns, maybe a few parts here and there, but I really like their iron sights.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Their rails have a following and the make a good CHF barrel that is not over gassed. Their bolts are on par with Colt and adhere to the TDP as do most of their internals. Their furniture doesn’t work for me and their receivers are basic forged receivers.

But they are over priced IMHO.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RufusG
My impression of the niche they fill is high quality and durability without an insane price. Don't know how much the price qualifier still holds though.

A while back here, if memory serves, there was a thread about quality/durability and someone linked a long-running, famous thread on ar15.com wherein a guy who managed a range in Las Vegas that catered to tourist mag dump events. Their guns had huge round counts and he provided info on what parts broke and how long things lasted, etc. Not only ARs, you name it, they had it. Their ARs were largely Daniel Defense, because they had a history of keeping going. It's not clear if that was based on a head to head evaluation, or just inertia because they worked. Or I could be remembering this wrong.

I don't have any of their guns, maybe a few parts here and there, but I really like their iron sights.
I’d be interested in seeing that thread. Have to do a search.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mid to high price rifles, Mil-Specs, no nonsense AR. Durable and reliable, unlike Marty Daniel.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
What attributes do they possess that other brands don’t. Trying to figure out what I’m missing out on? I have mostly Colt’s, 6920’s, 6940’s and a 6933 plus one bushmaster varmint mfd 25 years ago.

When I decided I wanted an AR, I toyed briefly with the idea of building one, based on the experiences of a number of knowledgeable people here.

And I talked to several people who built ARs with parts for people.

And then I recollected a poor experience I once had with having a bolt-action rifle put together for me by a 'smith and I decided that ...

Nah. Not again. One and done. Bought a DD and I haven't once thought I should have gotten something else.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I don't know for sure.

I thought DD had a reputation for lightweight stuff, that was still no-compromise???

Light weight was one of my main criteria. I spent some time talking with Formidilosis about them. He's seen a lot of them in his line of work and what he told me about them made me feel good about the choice. I wanted a pencil barrel, even though he told me they don't like the weight of a suppressor hanging off them, and I haven't regretted the choice. My initial 10-round groups with a 4x scope and factory ammo were consistent with what he was seeing, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think this is it:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/H...ey_have_handled_on_our_range/118-677135/

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Rufus

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
don't like their furniture. stock, grip, or vertical geip

the owner is a douche

they seem pretty expensive for what you get.

there rails don't suck, but they aren't LmT bomber

bolt appears to be c158 steel. decent reputation. it ain't an LMT enhanced, or an e3 from knights.

the couple i've been around were over gassed.

the controls are vanilla. for pushing 2 grand i want full ambi.

metal and usable backup irons.

and i don't think hammer forge is an attribute that is actually admirable. if you chrome line the bore, wouldn't you want cut rifling to insure uniformity??

i got a feeling manufacture horned up the public on hammer forging to make the cheapest way to make barrels seem attractive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Mid to high price rifles, Mil-Specs, no nonsense AR. Durable and reliable, unlike Marty Daniel.

So Maser, what do you know about Marty Daniel?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
he likes red flag laws and publicly stated so

then tried to walk it back

same dumpster bin as Troy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by CopperSolid

So Maser, what do you know about Marty Daniel?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/daniel-defense-fix-nics/

And then the apology...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/daniel-defenses-marty-daniel-changed-mind-fixnics/

And then again...

https://www.newsweek.com/daniel-def...s-nra-convention-uvalde-shooting-1710477

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
he likes red flag laws and publicly stated so

then tried to walk it back

same dumpster bin as Troy

If he likes red flag laws, fu ck him! End of story.. I've looked at DD, overpriced every time I looked at one. They had some nice features and I'm sure they don't suck, but I have had very good luck with less expensive rifles. No one I've ever met that uses a DD has ever been able to outshoot the Noveske with irons or Northtech Defense (both local companies from the state I used to live in, so I "bought locally" and they have worked very well) I have and those are just 2 examples. AR's are pretty forgiving for the most part. Use good parts in them and a cheap off the shelf receiver will work just fine. A lot of guys use "blemished" receivers and they work just fine with good parts in them. That is the caveat...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RufusG

I think this is it:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/H...ey_have_handled_on_our_range/118-677135/

Thanks for this. It'a great link.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you're "missing out on" anything with a Colt, but DDs are lighter.

I have 2 DDM4s and have no complaints. Do everything I've asked 'em to, right up there with my LaRues, LMT, Rock Rivers, POFs, Alexander Arms, you get the point.

If you want a Daniel Defense, buy a Daniel Defense.

By the way, get on the email list for Tombstone Tactical - they have them on sale, now and again, for really good prices.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Daniel Defense, Colt and BCM are all in the same ballpark IMO for function. For what it’s worth the government has contracted rifles from all three. DD does have a noticeably nicer fit and finish again IMO. The DD stock is fugly but is the most comfortable with the rubber over mould. I doubt that there is any difference in ruggedness or reliability between any of them or Aero, FN, Spikes or several others for that matter. I’ve never seen a difference at the range and doubt that anyone would in a war zone given that the critical parts are all built to similar standards with the same materials and similar QC.

A lot of the DD name was made on being the first or one of the first AR manufacturers to make really reliable 10.3” uppers specked by the Navy. To me an 11.5” makes a lot more sense and so would loosing the bulky quad rail. Navy Crane contracted out some 10.3” DD uppers to put on Colt lowers already owned by the Navy. Eventually they contracted the entire MK 18 SEAL rifles to DD which I think is there real claim to fame.

I like mine. Fit and finish are very nice, the stock looks goofy but I like it better than even my BCM stocks. There’s nothing to not like about it but I really only bought it to add a factory SBR MK18 to my collection. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
DDs have hammer forged barrels which are of the highest quality. DDs have excellent rail systems as well as pinned gas blocks, a quality BCG, etc.

They aren't the highest end AR out there, but very SOLID. I own two complete guns, one gun with one of their uppers, and several barrels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.