Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My buddy scavenged a bunch of lead from a Naval Shipyard.

That stuff fugged up my pot pretty well! Hahaha! It was free anyhow.

What ever it is.....it dont make very good bullets.

Probably all that zinc intermixed with it. Cast Boolits website is your friend.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ONe of the guys I was stationed with in Alaska reloaded .38 Special. I went with him one time and he showed me how to do it. That was in in 1975. I started buying reloading equipment from the Ft. Richardson PX after that one lesson. I couldn't use it until I ETS's out and flew it all home in the summer of 1976. I had no mentors to show me how to reload so I have figured it out by myself since that one lesson in 1975.

I still use that equipment. My 1975 RCBS Partner press is my primary press. I dabbled in melting lead for muzzle loaders but I have not done any center fire bullets. I have a basement with enough ammo to defend the homestead should things fall apart and it was all done on single stage presses. I have considered a progressive press but at my age I would never get my money's worth of good out of it. If things continue in America like they have since Obama was elected we may all be learning how to make primers and powder in our basements and sheds.

Joe Biden isn't the only person who can f*** up America. It appears the whole democRAT party is hell bound to destroy America. They are passing on 30 trillion in debt to our grand kids and I'm passing on a couple of rifles and pile of loaded ammo to mine. Stolen elections have consequences.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I cast MANY a 429215 out of a army canteen cup using a cobbled together casting spoon. Wish now I had not used that one because it was my Dad's in WWII. Of course money was tight and I could not have bought another . . . . Well, I guess I could have if need be, but not sure where I would have found one (even though there were REAL Army Surplus stores in those days).
Lube with my "secret formula" lube (even I did not know what was in it)formed in to long string and and rolled into the lube grooves by hand.
Excess lube trimmed off (to be reused) in a trip through the Lyman 310 Tong Tool sizing die.
All loading done with a tong tool, 505 scale and hand made powder dippers made to throw a slightly underweight powder charge brought up to snuff with powder from the scoop. I thought I was in tall cotton when I got a powder dribbler.

Many a pound of lead went "downrange from that rig, jack rabbits, prairie dogs and yonder rock being targets of choice.

I liked them, the Flat Top liked them and MANY went down range over he years.
College did not allow guns in the room or in cars, but kept mine for me in the Admin offices safe. I reckon it was a different time/mindset.

I just went and got it whenever I was going shooting.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First handloads I dabbled with where for a .44 Mag RSB in 1970. Purchased a few lead bullets over the years, but did not begin casting until sometime around 2005. It is addicting to say the least. Fact of it is, the first rifle I cast for was also the first to used a hammer swage and was .50 caliber...scoped...underhammer...about 150 years old as I type. It was good for a 2nd place finish at a 100 yard match in Cody, WY about 10 years ago. Those fellas building sniper rifles for the Union knew what they were about.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I need to send the dillion 550 in for repairs, has been in storage for 25 yrs and has a couple of missing parts and some surface rust.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kind of hard to tell when I cast my first bullet. I suppose August of 1954 would be the official date for bullets I cast myself, lubed, sized and loaded to shoot. Truth be told I'd run bullets long before that by a few years.
When I was growing up, there was an old man who live across the street from me and one day I saw him working in his garage and being the nosy kid that I was, went over and asked him what he was doing. Turned out he was casting bullets He showed me how he did it and I asked if I could try. He said maybe a little later. When he was done making what he wanted he added more metal to the pot, fluxed and stirred when it was all melted, handed me the mold and dipper and told me to have at it. Took me a short while to get the hang of it.
When I turned 16, after gaining my parents permission, he gave me a pot, dipped and a mold that would work in my 30-30 and 30-06. Later he gave me a mold for my .38 Spl. and one for my .45 ACP. I still have those molds and about 90 more to keep them company.
Tools also give were a Lyman Tong tool and sever sets of dies, 30-30, 30-06 and .38 Spl. although the set for the .38 is missing some of the dies. Damned if I know where they went. That first .30 caliber mold accounted for a few deer during my early days of hunting. To this day, the only jacketed bullets you'll see in my handguns are one used strictly for self defense. Personally, I have more faith in my home cast bullets in my handloads than in those pricy factory loads.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I sold my hot rod in 74 & bought an old pick-up with the profits. Selling spare parts made some gun money & I was shooting pretty much weekly if not more. Soon realized I needed to reload. Every gun purchase, or more so, every new caliber purchase required me to soon have a set of dies & shell holder. 45 Colt & 38/357 was the bulk of my casting at the time.

Roger mentioned he cast all the bullets when he & his dad shot IPSC. Wow! All the loading required & casting too? In the 90's I was shooting 5-7 matches a month & sometimes shooting in 3 different classes. Luckily, a member of one of the clubs I belonged to had a casting company & gave us good deals. I couldn't have cast all I was loading & shooting I don't think. Roger, you must have busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

I cast now for savings & to beat shortages. It's not something I'd want to do on a regular basis, but it gives me a lot more freedom & self sufficiency. Great tools to have around. If they outlaw lead, I guess I'll cross that felonious bridge when it happens. FTFTFH

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 26 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.