Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Apparently the tree hugging free loving flag burning Boomers are fine.

Them fugging Gen Xers on the other hand.

You're headed to the ignore jail !!! congrarz

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Apparently the tree hugging free loving flag burning Boomers are fine.

Them fugging Gen Xers on the other hand.

You're headed to the ignore jail !!! congratz smile
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Not many kids today can learn to shoot like I did and lots of kids did when I was a kid. I didn’t learn with a .22 or a centerfire. I learned flinging BBs at the local songbirds nearly every day for ten years or so. A couple hundred thousand BBs provided a pretty good foundation. The shots were almost entirely from field positions and under some time pressure. I later graduated to squirrels and such.

I have no use for prone position. It’s pretty much useless in my area for hunting because of vegetation. If there is a tree or a post handy, I’ll use it. My favorite thing and one for which there is almost always time is to drop to a seated position. That’s a great rest and deer do not quite know what to make of it. If a deer sees a standing human, he is taking off. It takes him a few seconds to figure out a seated human and that is where you make your shot. I can shoot offhand and do pretty frequently but it is never my first choice when hunting.

I’ve shot deer resting on blinds, tractor tires, tractor steering wheels, sticks, trees, truck doors, truck beds, fence posts, boat trailers, logs, skidder tires, and half a dozen other things I can’t remember. I also shot quite few seated and offhand.

I guess I’d be pretty useless past 400 yards. It’s not really useful where I hunt and it would be a pain to even find a place to practice it. But I guess I’m a Luddite anyway. I do hunt with receiver sights quite a bit and have killed most of my deer over the last few years with a receiver sighted 45-70 or longbow.

That's about my story, I learned w/a BB gun and bought the BB's with money I earned.

What I've seen in most youts is they get handed a 333/555 bulk pack of ammo and use it to make noise with through a semi-auto 22lr. Pointing and emptying the rifle as fast as they can pull the trigger.
Riding with a friend one day we had a 22 cal. pellet gun in truck, lawn guy had just mowed the grass at a country store and a couple of big crows were pecking at the ground 30-35 feet max. His son who can't hit the side of a barn from the inside took a shot at the big crow with a solid rest, I had made sure the scope was turned down to 3-4X.

I saw where the pellet hit, he missed it by 3', the crow just flinched its wings looked around and kept pecking in the grass. Helped him get another pellet in the gun 30-35 ''feet'' he missed again and yes the gun was sighted in perfect.
I turned around [crew-cab truck] and asked him how in the hell could you miss that, he just gave me a dumb look.
He had learned to shoot just like I mentioned, bulk pack 555 walmart and shoot mag-dump style until it was gone. On top of that -dangerous as hell with a gun, he'd have it pointed in your head if you didn't keep a constant eye on him, 23-24 years old at the time.

Last edited by ol_mike; 06/28/22.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Making consistent 400 yard shot hits was unheard of 40 years ago.

Only thing Ive observed is not many practice off hand shot or snap shooting ( like jumping a bedded buck or bull) and miss many shot opportunities while hunting now because obsessed with 1000 yard prone bi pod shooting. Making a standing 100 to 200 yards shot in under 5 seconds not to easy to do or snap shooting consistently 30 to say 80 yards on a moving target

That right...

If under 200 yard targets are expected... most any rifle... or even shotgun slugs.

If I am setting up on a bean field... my rifles ALWAYS wear a bipod.

IMHO... 80% of shooters over glass their rifles... 95% if they are under 35.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Shooting offhand is MUCH easier with receiver sights or a very low powered scope. Even plain old open sights are much superior to even a moderately powered scope offhand a hundred yards or so.

I got a Uberti 1866 Winchester in .44 Special this last year and it is almost like shooing a BB gun. No recoil and a looping trajectory. That said, I can put slugs offhand in a deer sized target out to a little more than a 100 yards almost as fast as I can work the lever and pull the trigger.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Shooting offhand is MUCH easier with receiver sights or a very low powered scope. Even plain old open sights are much superior to even a moderately powered scope offhand a hundred yards or so.

I got a Uberti 1866 Winchester in .44 Special this last year and it is almost like shooing a BB gun. No recoil and a looping trajectory. That said, I can put slugs offhand in a deer sized target out to a little more than a 100 yards almost as fast as I can work the lever and pull the trigger.

Exactly...

I have a couple of Garands I like shooting that way... just point and shoot. It ain't rocket science.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I will use every advantage to kill cleanly. No I don’t have the sticks because I don’t like them. That’s just me.
The thing that pisses me off is somebody taking a kid hunting and expecting him to kill a deer offhand or from a barbed wire fence. Give them a chance to succeed any way you can. Edk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Many begin with a 10/22 and learn from watching TV, they never learn to be accurate

grandpa gave me a single shot bolt action and half a box of shorts to last the weekend. You had to be accurate or you ran out early.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Spray and pray!!! If your not a flatbill cam Hanes marksman, it’ll cost ya friends!!! Haha

Isn't Cam Haines a bowhunter?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Who the fugg is Cam Haines?

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Very large brush strokes being painted with here.

I spent over a decade working in a gun shop and a good while doing pre season sight in days at the range. There are multitudes of Gomers who can’t shoot from any position and they span all age classes.

I’ve seen Boomers and Depression era children who were supposed “marksmen”, “snipers”, and “outdoorsmen” who didn’t know what ammo their old rifle they’d been shooting “since Papaw showed me how” was chambered for. I’ve seen these guys with scopes mounted backward. I’ve seen them with rear sights removed because, “it just slows me down on running shots”. And I’ve seen many of them who literally couldn’t hit a life size plywood moose from a bench, not can’t hit it in the vitals but can’t hit it at all.

Nobody is born knowing how to shoot, it takes instruction, practice, and dedication. If GenXYZ or whoever never learned to shoot I wonder who never got them started and showed them?

Bottom line is that people who shoot shoot, and people who don’t don’t or can’t, even if they talk about it on the internet all the time.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There is a reason it's called hunting.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I get that hunting has changed, but I grew up hunting in front of dogs. Shots were almost always moving and sometimes running flat out. The emphasis was on getting bullets into deer. Not waiting for the perfect shot, or heaven forbid, making a clean kill.

Like I said, I know things have changed but I do think we emphasize the perfect over good enough too much. It doesn’t matter much how small the groups are as long as they are small enough and you need to aim at the vital zone on a deer instead of trying to pick a tick to shoot at through your 18x scope at 75 yards. That’s practical marksmanship.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

An elk hunting "celebrity." Wrote a book (or three) and made videos, his thing is physical conditioning to the point that he can hunt way back in where not many others go..

At least, last I heard. I haven't kept up with him lately

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you have to lay down to shoot over your pack, you will get your designer camo dirty.........come on man.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

An elk hunting "celebrity." Wrote a book (or three) and made videos, his thing is physical conditioning to the point that he can hunt way back in where not many others go..

At least, last I heard. I haven't kept up with him lately

Has since befriended Joe Rogan and John Dudley and now hunts on the Deseret Ranch. Not exactly roughing it anymore....

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You just gotta love some of these threads. I stalk pigs at night with a millennial shooter who quite honestly shoots about as good as anyone I know. And I know lots of good shooters. Most of the nighttime/millennial pig stalkers and coyote killers I know could probably hand quite a few of the old farts on here their azz when it comes to dynamic shooting under pressure. We shoot off tripods with thermals, standing, after having stalked 200-600 yards in the dark. Pigs and coyotes, sitting still or running flat out, ranges anywhere from 30 to 300+ yards, all standing off a tripod.

Tripods, sticks, and bipods are tools for certain jobs. They don't just increase accuracy. When set up and used correctly they can very much increase speed on moving targets because you can pan so sooth and effectively. They lower muscle fatigue while waiting for a shot. Not everyone hunts where there is a tree or rock to rest on every 30 feet. Shooting prone or even sitting really isn't an option for the population control type shooting we do. Too many people get tied up in their own egos and aren't willing to admit that anyone, especially someone younger than them, might actually have a good idea and know what they are talking about. That guy at the range zeroing or practicing off a tripod? You don't know how or even if he hunts. His shooting game might be something totally outside your limited realm of experience. Open your mind and maybe both of you could learn something from the other.

Here is a little example of dynamic shooting off a tripod the way we do it.

https://rumble.com/v15saye-52322-big-sounder.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Jenkintown Posse stalks again.

Originally Posted by JTPinTX
You just gotta love some of these threads. I stalk pigs at night with a millennial shooter who quite honestly shoots about as good as anyone I know. And I know lots of good shooters. Most of the nighttime/millennial pig stalkers and coyote killers I know could probably hand quite a few of the old farts on here their azz when it comes to dynamic shooting under pressure. We shoot off tripods with thermals, standing, after having stalked 200-600 yards in the dark. Pigs and coyotes, sitting still or running flat out, ranges anywhere from 30 to 300+ yards, all standing off a tripod.

Tripods, sticks, and bipods are tools for certain jobs. They don't just increase accuracy. When set up and used correctly they can very much increase speed on moving targets because you can pan so sooth and effectively. They lower muscle fatigue while waiting for a shot. Not everyone hunts where there is a tree or rock to rest on every 30 feet. Shooting prone or even sitting really isn't an option for the population control type shooting we do. Too many people get tied up in their own egos and aren't willing to admit that anyone, especially someone younger than them, might actually have a good idea and know what they are talking about. That guy at the range zeroing or practicing off a tripod? You don't know how or even if he hunts. His shooting game might be something totally outside your limited realm of experience. Open your mind and maybe both of you could learn something from the other.

Here is a little example of dynamic shooting off a tripod the way we do it.

https://rumble.com/v15saye-52322-big-sounder.html

Really though, no one is more grateful to hear that a few from your generation escaped pussification. Carry on.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I never got the use of generational labels as epithets, whether it's millenials, GenX, boomers, whatever.

As if one has control of when he was born.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
I never got the use of generational labels as epithets, whether it's millenials, GenX, boomers, whatever.

As if one has control of when he was born.

It's a way for some to feel morally/intellectually superior while avoiding personal responsibility. Blame it on that stupid generation ______ .

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I was in 2nd grade when I got my 1022 new for 50 bucks LOL. Never really sprayed boolits.

Shooting was at a big bank, conservation club, only had 25 yard range. Id pick out pcs of clay pigeons and try to nail em. Reg clays were kinda easy.

No bench, shot sitting or kneeling. Offhand was tough as I was a pretty small.kid. The semi auto feature was pretty cool when youd hit a pop can and itd go to high side of bank and start rolling down.

THAT was my favorite!

Last edited by hookeye; 06/28/22.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.