Hop To
Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by DBT
The issue here is whether Jesus abolished the law or not. The words attributed to him state that he had not come to abolish the law, that the law would stand and ''all is fulfilled'' - the latter is assumed by many Christians mean that the blood sacrifice fulfilled the law, which therefore no longer applies which, if true, means that Jesus had in fact come to abolish the law.
So we have a problem, where both views cannot be true.

You’re equivocating. Clearly. And you’re clearly not considering what He meant. At all. You’re only voicing what you want it to mean.

The ‘only’ one with a problem is you. Clearly.

DBT, that is your interpretation of what Jesus stated....YOUR INTERPRETATION, and I do not see why Christians cannot have their interpretation....as I've said many, many times before....you have your ideas, thoughts perceptions, and Christians have theirs. So, why can't you agree to disagree and be done with it, or do you just want to go on and on and on and on like the energizer bunny that we see in ads on TV?

It's not my interpretation. I quote the verse without interpretation.

Again; 17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.''

And of course, it is the Christian who interprets ''until everything that is accomplished'' to mean the blood sacrifice, and that this abolished the law of the prophets even though it is clearly stated: Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets.

Can you see the dilemma? Jesus states that he had not come to abolish the law of the prophets, yet proceeds to do so.

This hinges on the interpretation of ''until everything is accomplished.'' - which if taken to mean that the blood sacrifice abolished the law of the prophets, the promise Jesus made - Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets- is false.

This is not my ''interpretation'' because the terms and conditions are set in the quotes verses. It is the Christian who interprets and creates a contradiction.

There is no contradiction if what Jesus said is true, and he did not abolish the law of the prophets as stated.

GB4

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality.” - Carl Sagan

'Spirituality' doesn't necessarily mean the supernatural. You are equivocating. Carl Sagan, an atheist, was not talking about supernatural spirit. Consider what he meant, not what you want it to mean.

Antlers is correct.....you did say Sagan is an atheist (see your words above)...but a few threads later you said Sagan was Agnostic, and here, I agree with you, as I believe Sagan is someone who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God.

I did say atheist, but it makes no difference to the point: Carl Sagan did not believe in the existence of a God or gods...which is atheism.

He preferred agnosticism. Agnostics do not believe in God. It's a moot point.

The real error antlers quoting Sagan - who did not believe in god - in support of theism.

But of course, that is conveniently ignored.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality.” - Carl Sagan

'Spirituality' doesn't necessarily mean the supernatural. You are equivocating. Carl Sagan, an atheist, was not talking about supernatural spirit. Consider what he meant, not what you want it to mean.

Antlers is correct.....you did say Sagan is an atheist (see your words above)...but a few threads later you said Sagan was Agnostic, and here, I agree with you, as I believe Sagan is someone who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God.

I did say atheist, but it makes no difference to the point: Carl Sagan did not believe in the existence of a God or gods...which is atheism.

He preferred agnosticism. Agnostics do not believe in God. It's a moot point.

The real error antlers quoting Sagan - who did not believe in god - in support of theism.

But of course, that is conveniently ignored.

Ok....antlers made an error and you made an error.....happy?

Sagan is someone who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God.

Last edited by Raspy; 06/29/22. Reason: forgor

Illegitimi non carborundum

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
The issue here is whether Jesus abolished the law or not. The words attributed to him state that he had not come to abolish the law, that the law would stand and ''all is fulfilled'' - the latter is assumed by many Christians mean that the blood sacrifice fulfilled the law, which therefore no longer applies which, if true, means that Jesus had in fact come to abolish the law.
So we have a problem, where both views cannot be true.

You’re equivocating. Clearly. And you’re clearly not considering what He meant. At all. You’re only voicing what you want it to mean.

The ‘only’ one with a problem is you. Clearly.

DBT, that is your interpretation of what Jesus stated....YOUR INTERPRETATION, and I do not see why Christians cannot have their interpretation....as I've said many, many times before....you have your ideas, thoughts perceptions, and Christians have theirs. So, why can't you agree to disagree and be done with it, or do you just want to go on and on and on and on like the energizer bunny that we see in ads on TV?

It's not my interpretation. I quote the verse without interpretation.

Again; 17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.''

And of course, it is the Christian who interprets ''until everything that is accomplished'' to mean the blood sacrifice, and that this abolished the law of the prophets even though it is clearly stated: Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets.

Can you see the dilemma? Jesus states that he had not come to abolish the law of the prophets, yet proceeds to do so.

This hinges on the interpretation of ''until everything is accomplished.'' - which if taken to mean that the blood sacrifice abolished the law of the prophets, the promise Jesus made - Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets- is false.

This is not my ''interpretation'' because the terms and conditions are set in the quotes verses. It is the Christian who interprets and creates a contradiction.

There is no contradiction if what Jesus said is true, and he did not abolish the law of the prophets as stated.

Again, again, again.... when the law you are referring to was introduced, it was never intended to be the instrument by which man would save himself, but it was the instrument through which man was to be saved. In a very real sense, man is saved through the fulfillment (keeping) of the law. When Christ fulfilled the law, he earned the privilege of life. Those who are in Christ, likewise, share in his righteousness and are declared righteous right alongside him. In that sense, the law has always stood and will continue to stand.

That being said, though, it's important to realize that we basically choose whether the law applies to us individually or not -- through grace, we can choose to be in Christ, or we can choose to stand on our own merits when we're judged. In that sense, too, the law still stands.

Why can't you agree to disagree and be done with it, or do you just want to go on and on and on and on like the energizer bunny that we see in ads on TV?

Last edited by Raspy; 06/29/22. Reason: again

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarquin
If you're an atheist you have a metaphysical world view and ultimately, it is based on faith.
Originally Posted by DBT
That's just silly. The universe is physical.
I quoted Carl Sagan above simply because even he…being an agnostic…clearly disagreed with DBT’s assertion above.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Everybody worships something.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Great statement!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This fine young gentleman said that.

He also said, he was to the point that he borrowed a handgun and started to, 'eat it", before he saw the Light.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by wabigoon; 06/29/22.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.''

You are taking fragments and using them to support your argument. He says “I have not come to abolish them, but to FULFILL them”.

18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.''

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AcesNeights,

Yep. I think you see clearly and correctly. On ‘all’ points.

Jesus’ is clearly talking about the Mosaic Law in this entire passage. And when He says “until everything is accomplished” in this passage (as in the above translation), He is specifically referring to everything ‘in’ the Mosaic Law…until everything written in ‘it’ happens; until ‘it’s’ purpose is achieved…and Jesus clearly said that He fulfilled the Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law’s purpose was fully achieved by Jesus.

It has zero to do with future events, such as those in the Book of Revelation.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

That's not true.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. Most people nowadays seem to worship money and ‘stuff’.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you're an atheist you have a metaphysical world view and ultimately, it is based on faith.
Originally Posted by DBT
That's just silly. The universe is physical.
I quoted Carl Sagan above simply because even he…being an agnostic…clearly disagreed with DBT’s assertion above.

You might want to sit down for this. Some of what Carl wrote:

"Plainly there is no way back. Like it or not, we are stuck with science. We had better make the best of it. When we finally come to terms with it and fully recognize its beauty and its power, we will find, in spiritual as well as in practical matters, that we have made a bargain strongly in our favor.

But superstition and pseudoscience keep getting in the way, distracting us, providing easy answers, dodging skeptical scrutiny, casually pressing our awe buttons and cheapening the experience, making us routine and comfortable practitioners as well as victims of credulity.
"

...and....

"“Spirit” comes from the Latin word “to breathe.” What we breathe is air, which is certainly matter, however thin. Despite usage to the contrary, there is no necessary implication in the word “spiritual” that we are talking of anything other than matter (including the matter of which the brain is made), or anything outside the realm of science. On occasion, I will feel free to use the word. "

You can't be utterly and completely wrong all the time Antlers, you just can't.

Just remember that any premise beginning with "God made..." or "God created..." is invalid despite any evasive side arguments. I rest my case, and here endeth the lesson.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the theists have run out of steam. Antlers is in misdirection mode, CCCC is producing bafflegab and Raspy is patting them all on the backside and saying "good job".
Over and above the other of your failures, you are delusional if you believe what you posted.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CCCC
Looks like the theists have run out of steam. Antlers is in misdirection mode, CCCC is producing bafflegab and Raspy is patting them all on the backside and saying "good job".
Over and above the other of your failures, you are delusional if you believe what you posted.

Just remember that any premise beginning with "God made..." or "God created..." is invalid despite any evasive side arguments.

Well?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

No one is running out of stream....This is a big pat on the back for you CCCC, and a big kick in the rear for devilish mauser9mm....

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mark 9:24.
I Believe, Help My Unbelief".

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Just remember that any premise beginning with "God made..." or "God created..." is invalid despite any evasive side arguments.

You should remember that any premise based upon the presumption of no God or beginning with “I don’t know why/what/how [blank] happened but God didn’t…..” is invalid despite your deflection and obvious confusion.

Just because you wrongly believe what you posted doesn’t mean it’s true. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Google "theology" then
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Not only continuing to argue while being a bit wrong, but when it comes to the very foundation of religion, the nature and significance of faith, blatantly wrong.

Blah Blah Blah....you believe what you think, and I'll believe what the God of the bible espouses.

It's not what I believe, but how things are and how the world works....the simple fact being that theology is a matter of faith, and we have countless opposing theologies that are based on faith.

It's there for anyone to see...if you are willing. Clearly, many are not willing.

Your "theology" is based on faith too. Your just too obtuse to notice it.

I don't have a theology. Your lament makes it clear that you don"t know what the word means.

Yes, you do. Its called "materialism" (the belief that the Universe is a closed system of material cause and effect) and it and its derivative claims are held on the basis of faith.

Google "theology definition".

"Materialism" or "naturalism" if you prefer, is an all-encompassing metaphysical view of reality. It is a religion with its own creation story (myth actually) and its own sacraments. It absolutely is a theology.

Tarquin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

You should remember that any premise based upon the presumption of no God or beginning with “I don’t know why/what/how [blank] happened but God didn’t…..” is invalid despite your deflection and obvious confusion.

Just because you wrongly believe what you posted doesn’t mean it’s true. 😉

Simple, just prove your god.

Well?
Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,611
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.