-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee scoops, drug through a Speer plastic bullet box full of powder, and then carded off with a business card.

Precise and consistent - just lacks a little fine tuning capacity for velocity.

But they have generally been extremely precise.

GR

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have shot a lot of Federal Gold Match 308. I have managed to load ammo that was as accurate as the FGM but have never beat their average accuracy across multiple different rifles. I know at the volume they load they can not be weighing charges. Does any one know how they they manage their boring consistency with dropped powder charges??

by the way I am sure they use IMR 4064 a stick powder that is not known for being powder measure friendly ??

Last edited by manyshots; 07/09/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well developed loads assembled into straight cartridges aren't hypersensitive to charge variation. If you have several other ducks in a row and start to shoot long range, then you may see vertical dispersion from charge variation.

Last edited by mathman; 07/09/22. Reason: spelling/typo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, just dump powder in there until it looks right.

Hilarious!!!!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My take on it is that I want good accuracy with the equipment and components I choose.

I use a Chargemaster for most stick powders and a Uni-Flow with baffle for powders that meter well. Whatever the precision of my equipment may or may not provide, I seek combinations that DO work and are compatible with my methods. If I shot over 500 yards, I might change up my methods and techniques (or maybe not) but until then I discard the combinations that don't work and go with those that do seem to work. I'm happy with my results.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Hilarious!!!!

well that is just what bench rest shooters do and you may laugh but you will never beat them for group size .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by manyshots
I have shot a lot of Federal Gold Match 308. I have managed to load ammo that was as accurate as the FGM but have never beat their average accuracy across multiple different rifles. I know at the volume they load they can not be weighing charges. Does any one know how they they manage their boring consistency with dropped powder charges??

by the way I am sure they use IMR 4064 a stick powder that is not known for being powder measure friendly ??

What makes you so sure ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Hilarious!!!!

well that is just what bench rest shooters do and you may laugh but you will never beat them for group size .

Of course not

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Lee scoops, drug through a Speer plastic bullet box full of powder, and then carded off with a business card.

Precise and consistent - just lacks a little fine tuning capacity for velocity.

But they have generally been extremely precise.

GR

I have several cases soldered to a spike, cut/ground until they throw the charge i want. Start with a weighed charge, dump it in the case, mark the top, and cut right above that. Fine tune from there.

Have balance and digital scales.

Balance is more dependable, and much quicker for checking weight.
You aren't really weighing it, you are just looking to hit zero.

Digital is the schiz when you want to know what something weighs.

Zero it.
Set the object on,
Bingo, what it weighs.
No sliding weights, turning adjustments, waiting for it to settle after every
adjustment, before making the next.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What the Average Joe misses —-

Precision (consistency when you throw) is WAY more important than precisions.. Because you sight in with what ever ammo you are shooting, and re zero every year…

The VERY best thing you can do here is to throw 25 tho 30 rounds and then weight those charges to see how consistent you are….

- If you use a dispenser to throw cartridges you will find your first 18 or so throws will vary from the rest because the friction from the powder column moving as you start to throw hasn’t stabilized yet…. Especially with a progressive like the Dillon - throw 15 cartridges and dump the powder back in the measure.. Then start loading..

- Realize how long the powder measure sat impacts your throw…
- Realize how you move and what you do between throws impacts things.

- With a electronic scale, where the powder / powder cup sets on the scale impacts it’s ability to measure.
- Realize that electronic scales drift over time - so load it all at one time vs days.
- Leave them plugged in a LONG time before you measure.
- MD was dead nuts on… better measure mechanisms are now available.

Like I said - throw powder and measure it in quick succession to avoid drift on your scale, and be consistent about where you put the cup and powder in the cup.

Accuracy wise - have good certified weights…. And or keep a powder charge (reference weight) to double check your scale.

Full disclosure - I’m upgrading from an RCBS powder scale / dispenser to an Autotrickler that has .001 accuracy.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JimH
One thing that you won't,or at least very seldom see at a serious benchrest match is scales,and all competitors load at the range. They do uses fine or ball powder and super accurate powder dumps like Harrel's or Culver conversions.

Why do we keep living in the 90’s?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
One thing that you won't,or at least very seldom see at a serious benchrest match is scales,and all competitors load at the range. They do uses fine or ball powder and super accurate powder dumps like Harrel's or Culver conversions.

Because 2 shot groups don't mean a lot....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I weigh everything, rifle, pistol, shotshell, every bullet, every primer and every case. I even weigh my rifle after each shot.

Can't be too careful.

Well, I don't actually do that, Trixie does all my reloading and she does, without fail.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Because 2 shot groups don't mean a lot....

Last edited by pathfinder76; 07/10/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Forgot to mention, Trixie anneals them cases, rifle and pistol, every time they're fired. Shotshells, every other.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice video ,i would like see 5 cases used for group instead of the same case . use the 6 BR cartridge, Lapua brass which is more common in America. but thanks for posting this neat video ,Pete53

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by manyshots

Federal Catridge blend their powders we can not do that safely, nor can we buy what powders they use . Federal volume loads all their ammo they sell to the public.

Last edited by pete53; 07/10/22.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (19rabbit52, 2500HD, 222Sako, 257robertsimp, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,496
Posts18,509,148
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.