Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My nephew did his PhD research on the process. Now it's being used all over.

Used all over?
Where?

My ex wife was involved in the research and implementation on vitrification. All it does is lock the waste up so it can never be reused again in a breeder cycle. It takes valuable, partially used uranium and makes it unusable for re-breeding. This is a politically driven strategy, because breeding reactors create plutonium, which is a proliferation concern.

Vitrification does nothing to reduce radiation. The only benefit is that during long term storage, it'll keep it from leaching if the containment vessels are breached.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
One well designed nuke could replace thousands of windmills and thousands of miles of roads to build them.

If you believe in man caused global climate change nuke power is the best long term answer.

If you don't believe in man caused global climate change nuke power is the best long term answer.

If you want lots of abundant energy to drive the future nuke power is the best long term answer.

If you can find someone willing to invest the money it takes to design, permit, and bring one online and then wait 25 years for it to start generating power, nukes are the way to go.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make bullets out of the depleted uranium and send it to Ukraine-along with a Warthog or two. They can properly dispense it to Russia.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
My nephew did his PhD research on the process. Now it's being used all over.

Used all over?
Where?

My ex wife was involved in the research and implementation on vitrification. All it does is lock the waste up so it can never be reused again in a breeder cycle. It takes valuable, partially used uranium and makes it unusable for re-breeding. This is a politically driven strategy, because breeding reactors create plutonium, which is a proliferation concern.

Vitrification does nothing to reduce radiation. The only benefit is that during long term storage, it'll keep it from leaching if the containment vessels are breached.

I understand how it works, appears better than and idea yet, just didn't know it was actually being put to use anywhere.

I think the idea was first developed in Germany but China has built a large facility for processing it.
Last I read China was able to run their plant 2 days last year.

Vapor created by the process appears to be the demon now.

There's a schit ton of spent rods in the cooling ponds at the Nuke Plant by my house in Crystal River, FL.

There have been two very, very small notices posted about the cooling ponds there losing water but no radiation has been detectable in nearby wells...yet.

Duke Energy is in the process of dismantling
that Nuclear Plant now, they built a new Combined Cycle plant to replace it.

When I first started investing in real estate in the area the Nuke was still operating. They mailed me a multi page booklet, there's a picture of the plant on the cover with a target around it.
The cover reads "You're within 50 miles of our plant and there are some things you need to know".

It's basically information regarding risks and questions about ones ability to evacuate rapidly.

I suppose being given the information is some form of liability release for them, didn't get one when they opened their new Gas Plant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I wasn't implying that it is being used, just that it's (another) political football.

Some people like to whine about the subsidies for wind or solar, willfully ignoring the big fat pork barrel that is the nuclear industry.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WIPP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by smokepole
2 massive wind projects on BLM land are seeking approval in so. Idaho. One, the Lava Ridge project, will have 400 windmills on 73k acres. The newest one, called the Salmon Falls Wind Project, is just south of me. I can't find any details on it yet, like number of windmills, acres, or even a map, but it will also be on BLM land. The left is pushing these monstrosities and unfortunately, we have huge sections of BLM land to put them on. Besides trashing our public lands, most of the power they generate won't even be used here in Idaho. It's slated to be taken to other states so that will require many miles of transmission lines over both public and private lands.

OK, I’ll play devil's advocate. First, is the BLM land being sold, or leased? Second, how is this different t than oil & gas leases on BLM land?

If it is proposed to be on BLM managed surface, the project would be on a Right of Way, and wouldn’t be sold no matter what the uninformed folks on this board think.

It’ll be tied up and basically not available for public purposes, but it wouldn’t be sold. I don’t like these projects for many, many reasons but this is a misnomer that for whatever reason is widely believed by folks on this board.

What is the land being used for now, grazing?

BLM is Federal public land, managed, at least theoretically, for the benefit of all citizens, not just for those who live close to that land. Lots of Americas want to feel good about renewable energy and wind farms do that for them. Electricity needs to be sent where it is needed as it is produced. If the land is currently leased or permitted for grazing most of it will still be available for that, so BLM could collect both AUM grazing money and windmill money from most of the same acres. Besides, BLM manages around 12M acres in Idaho, so 73K acres is about 6/10 of 1% of that total.
Not sure about this specific project.

You’re absolutely correct though that grazing can occur in a wind farm, and I am sure in many cases do. It all depends on the specific circumstances of the land, the project, competing uses and such. The stips attached to the permit can also lend itself to allowing other uses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One well designed nuke could replace thousands of windmills and thousands of miles of roads to build them.
If you believe in man caused global climate change nuke power is the best long term answer.

If you don't believe in man caused global climate change nuke power is the best long term answer.

If you want lots of abundant energy to drive the future nuke power is the best long term answer.
If you can find someone willing to invest the money it takes to design, permit, and bring one online and then wait 25 years for it to start generating power, nukes are the way to go.

Wyoming Next Gen Nuclear Reactor.

TerraPower recently announced plans to build its Natrium reactor near a retiring coal plant in Kemmerer, Wyoming. This is an incredible opportunity for the state, which currently generates almost 90% of its electricity generation from fossil fuels. The Natrium design represents the future of advanced nuclear reactor technology and is well-suited to provide clean and efficient power to communities across the United States, including the Mountain West.

The U.S. Department of Energy is extremely excited about this project and plans to invest nearly $2 billion to support the licensing, construction and demonstration of this first-of-a-kind reactor by 2028.

Originally Posted by ironbender
Good points.

What is the solution to waste disposal is a safe manner?

There is a lot of energy left in the current waste stockpiles and the new reactor designs can use the old waste as fuel and burn almost all of it up.

Recycling Nuclear

Nuclear waste is recyclable. Once reactor fuel (uranium or thorium) is used in a reactor, it can be treated and put into another reactor as fuel. In fact, typical reactors only extract a few percent of the energy in their fuel. You could power the entire US electricity grid off of the energy in nuclear waste for almost 100 years (details). If you recycle the waste, the final waste that is left over decays to harmlessness within a few hundred years, rather than a million years as with standard (unrecycled) nuclear waste. However, recycling nuclear waste generally involves performing complex chemistry processes in a radiologically shielded area and can be rather expensive and also generate significant amounts of radioactive material in liquid form.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

TerraPower recently announced plans to build its Natrium reactor near a retiring coal plant in Kemmerer, Wyoming. This is an incredible opportunity for the state, which currently generates almost 90% of its electricity generation from fossil fuels. The Natrium design represents the future of advanced nuclear reactor technology and is well-suited to provide clean and efficient power to communities across the United States, including the Mountain West.

The U.S. Department of Energy is extremely excited about this project and plans to invest nearly $2 billion to support the licensing, construction and demonstration of this first-of-a-kind reactor by 2028.

Good they are experimenting, we'd get nowhere if the didn't.

That Natrium reactor will provide for many jobs for a long, long, long time.

The United States’ newest nuclear power plant has taken 43 years to build

Published May 11, 2016

This summer, if all goes according to plan, the second reactor at Watts Bar Nuclear Power Plant will begin supplying power to the US electrical grid. Construction on the reactor in Spring City, Tennessee, has proceeded in fits and starts since the project began in 1973. It will be the first new nuclear reactor to come online in the US since the first Watts Bar reactor was completed 20 years ago.

The long delay in completing Watts Bar illustrates the challenges of constructing a nuclear reactor in the US. Construction on the project has been held up by public safety concerns, shifting regulatory expectations, fluctuating energy demands, and ballooning costs. The final price for Watts Bar 2 is currently projected to be $4.7 billion, a number which has been revised upward many times during construction.

[Linked Image from eia.gov]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The feds are kicking in $2 B???

So much for the "federal government should not be favoring renewable energy" mantra.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So for the posters that are so supportive of wind and solar, how close to your home is the nearest solar and/or wind farm? Do the ecological impacts mean nothing? Let alone wind can’t even generate enough energy rebuild themselves lol

MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So for the posters who say the government shouldn't invest in renewables because that's favoritism, how do you justify investing $2B in a single nuke plant?

And by the way I'm 100 % in support of nuclear power.

How close to your house is the nearest nuke plant by the way?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So for the posters who say the government shouldn't invest in renewables because that's favoritism, how do you justify investing $2B in a single nuke plant?

And by the way I'm 100 % in support of nuclear power.

How close to your house is the nearest nuke plant by the way?

I don't have a problem with the Fed Gov doing research on energy production.

We are in a Global contest and cheap plentiful energy is important for the future of the USA.

I think we know wind and solar are never going to be able to suppy even a fraction of the energy needed for the future.

Add in that both are a blight on the landscape and support our enemies (buying from ChiComs).

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
So for the posters that are so supportive of wind and solar, how close to your home is the nearest solar and/or wind farm? Do the ecological impacts mean nothing? Let alone wind can’t even generate enough energy rebuild themselves lol

There is a lot you could learn about wind turbines.

This 500 acre solar farm is sandwiched between our old, out of service Nuke Plant and the new Cobined Cycle Gas Plant.
About 15 air miles from me.

Sorta looks like crops growing in orderly rows but they are harvesting electricity.

Why?

[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]
Jun 10, 2022
Duke Energy’s Bay Trail Renewable Energy Center, a solar plant in Crystal River capable of producing 74.9 megawatts of energy, officially started activity Friday, June 10.

The site will require minimal staff present due to technology at the plant. Panels are designed to even survive hurricanes, with equipment allowing the panels to become less rigid in wind, lessening damages. 
While active, the site still is in construction and is projected to be fully finished this fall. 

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

There is a lot you could learn about wind turbines.

This 500 acre solar farm is sandwiched between our old, out of service Nuke Plant and the new Cobined Cycle Gas Plant.
About 15 air miles from me.

Sorta looks like crops growing in orderly rows but they are harvesting electricity.

Why?

[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]
Jun 10, 2022
Duke Energy’s Bay Trail Renewable Energy Center, a solar plant in Crystal River capable of producing 74.9 megawatts of energy, officially started activity Friday, June 10.

The site will require minimal staff present due to technology at the plant. Panels are designed to even survive hurricanes, with equipment allowing the panels to become less rigid in wind, lessening damages. 
While active, the site still is in construction and is projected to be fully finished this fall. 

How many of those solar panels say "Made in China" on them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not gone there and looked at the labels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not gone there and looked at the labels.

I did. Wasn't easy.

All of them were made in China. whistle

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chinese children are a gift from God.

We should import a few thousand and have them build our Nuclear Plants.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.