Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I came up with the idea of having a rib sale for a Boy Scout fundraiser last year. It worked really well and we sold about 220 racks. We (both the boys and the adults) cooked and packaged all one day and we got it done. We learned a few things and got some ideas to make it more efficient, but honestly it worked really well how I had it lined out.

Now my main issue is what I can get my hands on to use as a smoker this year. We’re expecting closer to 600 racks of ribs this year. I borrowed a rotisserie smoker we used for competitions, but my friend has since sold it. Does anyone know of something I could look for that would handle that volume of food in a day? I’m not against buying something and donating it back to the scouts to use, but I need a line on something that would work. Anyone have any ideas?

A little background on our program:
We have a decent sized group of boys that do really well, but don’t come from much money. They’re fine with working to earn their keep and they’re used to it. The costs for each boy are over $1000 per year and this is the best way to make that money. Each boy sells their own ribs and they get a large portion of the total in their personal scout account. This pays for each one individually and shows them how to budget throughout the year.

Last edited by Oklahomahunter; 07/12/22.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tough one to do reasonably

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sous vide...

Takes more time, but needs very little attention for most of it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually sous vide, smoke, then grill or broil...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For bulk I’d consider par boiling…

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
It would take some fabrication skills, but using a big retired LP gas tank, like 500 gallon size or larger with a rotisserie rack built inside and a fire box on one end would be fairly simple to make and maintain. PM me for some sketches of how I'd build one if you like.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I usually sous vide, smoke, then grill or broil...

600 racks sous vide then grilled? how much would that cost just for the sous vide devices? Mine was around $150

Last edited by ribka; 07/12/22.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Truck load a cinder blocks, some sheet metal and stainless steel wire storage racks.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’d call some big catering companies and see if they would donate the smoker for a day or get the boys to trade some labor to rent their smoker?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I came up with the idea of having a rib sale for a Boy Scout fundraiser last year. It worked really well and we sold about 220 racks. We (both the boys and the adults) cooked and packaged all one day and we got it done. We learned a few things and got some ideas to make it more efficient, but honestly it worked really well how I had it lined out.

Now my main issue is what I can get my hands on to use as a smoker this year. We’re expecting closer to 600 racks of ribs this year. I borrowed a rotisserie smoker we used for competitions, but my friend has since sold it. Does anyone know of something I could look for that would handle that volume of food in a day? I’m not against buying something and donating it back to the scouts to use, but I need a line on something that would work. Anyone have any ideas?

We have a decent sized group of boys that do really well, but don’t come from much money. They’re fine with working to earn their keep and they’re used to it. The costs for each boy are over $1000 per year and this is the best way to make that money. Each boy sells their own ribs and they get a large portion of the total in their personal scout account. This pays for each one individually and shows them how to budget throughout the year.

Pressure cook and freeze in batches.

Grill/ Sear / Smoke right before the sale.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Holy fugk

Go dig about 25 mattresses out of the landfill

Burn off alla the foam and poly and dust mites.

Bulldoze a shallow pit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Truck load a cinder blocks, some sheet metal and stainless steel wire storage racks.

This is what I was thinking to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd hook up with the local Elks lodge. All the lodges I've been to have industrial kitchens, barbecues and pits.

Just itching to help the local yutes.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Big bbq pit with mesquite

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Morewood
I'd hook up with the local Elks lodge. All the lodges I've been to have industrial kitchens, barbecues and pits.

Just itching to help the local yutes.

I don’t know about Oklahoma

but *almost* all of the negro churches here have covered bbq pits. And about 1/2 of the rural white folk churches. Sometimes 16-24 ft ones.

Could just be a southern thing. Maybe they would willing to let you all use their’s. If they have that there.
If your church ain’t got cook shed or a bbq pit, it has a yankee pastor or a false prophet leading the flock there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have an xl Pressure cooker. Maybe take. 8 to 10 racks of ribs, 90 min heat cook cool down x 60 full pots equals how many hours? looking at 7 days just to cook unless you don't want to sleep. Plus fuel costs

then add the grill time

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

Pressure cook and freeze in batches.

Grill/ Sear / Smoke right before the sale.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DANNYL

This is what I was thinking to.

I can’t envision the surface area required for 600 racks or the slab fire required to bring hot coals and serve it.

Have to be a sawmill close by.

For all of them to get done about the same time? Or staggered ?

Just my 8 footer, I don’t what I could put on here and keep up with by myself.

I’d have to have some help

I don’t think I’d want to tend more than 40-50 on here. Call me a slacker. I’d might have to suck eggs and use some “kingsford”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

best yet

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bed sprangs ah hell naw.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hardway
I’d call some big catering companies and see if they would donate the smoker for a day or get the boys to trade some labor to rent their smoker?

Great idea. Or maybe a comp BBQ team with a big setup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 222ND, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,236
Posts18,504,472
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.