-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a scooter with little wheels but without the social stigma of a scooter Honda has just the thing(s), most all with the same 125cc single cylinder air cooled engine. I wouldn't mind a Monkey, they'd be a lot of fun on trails. There are videos of folks going coast to coast or doing a 1000 mile Baja ride on Monkeys. Been following a thread on a motorcycle forum I visit with one guy in New Jersey going on 40-50 mile rides on trails and back roads.

Grom

[Linked Image from powersports.honda.com]

Monkey

Or you can go to full size 17" tires in the Super Cub and/or Trail 125

Or go dirt cheap on the 109cc Navi for $1,807 MSRP.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're also reintroducing the Dax (short for Dachshund) or ST125 but only in Europe and Japan so far, no plans to sell it here in the US of A.

[Linked Image from revzilla.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They're also reintroducing the Dax (short for Dachshund) or ST125 but only in Europe and Japan so far, no plans to sell it here in the US of A.

Looks surprisingly like the original Honda Trail 70 model I started out on as a kid.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Bought mine new (Yamaha Zuma 125) and it has 10,000 miles on it now. Has long-ago paid for itself in fuel savings at 90 mpg. I look like a drunken circus bear riding it, but I don’t give a chit. Saves on wear and tear of my pickup for short trips to the grocery store and short commutes to work. And yeah…it’s kind of fun to ride.

I’m not even a little ashamed to ride the damn thing..

[img]https://ibb.co/gRk9nj2[/img]

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you want a scooter with little wheels but without the social stigma of a scooter Honda has just the thing(s), most all with the same 125cc single cylinder air cooled engine. I wouldn't mind a Monkey, they'd be a lot of fun on trails. There are videos of folks going coast to coast or doing a 1000 mile Baja ride on Monkeys. Been following a thread on a motorcycle forum I visit with one guy in New Jersey going on 40-50 mile rides on trails and back roads.

These are usually called "postie bikes" here in Oz, because they have for many years been widely used by posties (mail delivery people). They are popular as farm bikes too. Cheap to buy (especially when Australia Post sells them off), cheap to run and simple to maintain. There are even long distance/enduro events especially for them, which seem popular. See https://www.postiebikechallenge.org/.

They aren't bad little jiggers to ride, as long as you aren't in any sort of hurry, but I don't think I'll be lining up for a 2000 mile run through the outback on one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The little scooters and mini-motos are fun and easy to ride but they are limited to in-town or dirt road stuff or rural areas with lots of lower speed limit, less traveled back roads.

Have posted this one before but I have a Suzuki TU250X which is a single cylinder, air cooled motorcycle in the style of the classic Universal Japanese Motorcycle. Nice low seat height and relatively low weight so it's nimble as can be. It's a blast to ride around town or even on the 55-60 mph country roads but with a top speed of 75 mph - provided you're on level ground with a good tailwind - freeway riding is hazardous to say the least. But it gets 80 mpg if I flog the hell out of it and up to 90 mpg if I take it easy so it's still pretty economical.

[Linked Image]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've been seriously considering picking up a Trail 125 for buzzing back and forth to work on the cheap with gas prices the way there are, but it is just a bit too slow. If they'd cruise 55mph, I'd probably already have one.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Some males aren't confident in their manhood, they think a small bike makes them look like a small man. A small bike has nothing to do with that. Small bikes are quiet and can taken along creek-banks and down washes, through thick woods where bigger bikes are too cumbersome.
But then most people have no desire to travel to those places, they can't let go of air-conditioning, a cooler full of food/drinks, zero gravity chair and shade canopy.

Same ones you could hear say''you'll never see me riding a bicycle'' as they take their 'high blood pressure' medication.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by zcm82
I've been seriously considering picking up a Trail 125 for buzzing back and forth to work on the cheap with gas prices the way there are, but it is just a bit too slow. If they'd cruise 55mph, I'd probably already have one.

Many people had these same thoughts back during the obama years, when they figured out that tires only last 9-10K miles and are expensive to change, plus sprockets and more. They realize they didn't save any money by buying a small bike.

During that time you couldn't find a Yamaha TW200, Then used ones were everywhere, and dealerships had two/three year old models unsold, still in the crates.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Looks surprisingly like the original Honda Trail 70 model I started out on as a kid.
Looks like it has the Honda wing on the frame neck. At any rate, you can bet it was pressed from the same dies as the Honda’s were.

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by zcm82

Many people had these same thoughts back during the obama years, when they figured out that tires only last 9-10K miles and are expensive to change, plus sprockets and more. They realize they didn't save any money by buying a small bike.

During that time you couldn't find a Yamaha TW200, Then used ones were everywhere, and dealerships had two/three year old models unsold, still in the crates.

I had a Honda VT1300 back then. Sorta regret that one, it wasn't particularly comfortable and was a fuel hungry pig for how slow it was... only averaged about 38mpg with it. I only had it a couple years, and actually haven't acquired another bike since.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yes, bigger bikes don't seem to get any better fuel economy than small cars.
I have a Yamaha R-1, 1,000cc it gets about the same mileage as your VT did, maybe less, and when being run hard, ? low teens ? mpg.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
The groms are fun little bikes. Seen a couple done up for trail riding that look like they’d be a hoot.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Scooters are likes fat chicks... Fun to ride but you wouldn't be caught dead on one.
Hahahahahaha!

Good one! Did you come up with that?
lololol
The last time I heard that joke Nixon was president.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Yes, bigger bikes don't seem to get any better fuel economy than small cars.
I have a Yamaha R-1, 1,000cc it gets about the same mileage as your VT did, maybe less, and when being run hard, ? low teens ? mpg.

Wow - I never would have thought an R1 would be that bad.

I get fairly steady between 41 and 46 mpg with my HD, 1868 cc - granted, it never sees the RPM an R1 will but still - volume wise...

Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
A few scooter 'n folk here I see......I'm gonna look around for one to buy and have some riding fun with...With scooters the CVT auto transmissions, no shifting, no clutch, with just twist and go is all very appealing..... So far my candidates in no favorite particular order are the Suzuki Burgman 400, Yamaha X Max 300, Piaggio Beverly 400 (Piaggio owns Vespa), and the Vespa 300 GTS for that retro look if I choose that style. 300 to 400cc's imo should make a great combo for city, urban and highway touring use...Don't need a 500+ cc scooter weighing 500+ lbs. Defeats the purpose of what a scooter is imo.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Love motorbike threads!

Mine will do 53mph on a windless day, but it'll climb a set of stairs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This one will easily do hiway speeds and is a kick in the butt.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got these for the Grandkids

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DMc
This one will easily do hiway speeds and is a kick in the butt.

I had one of those and I loved it. Hated that I got rid of it. The XL bikes of the 70's were bulletproof.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1_deuce, 257_X_50, 222Sako, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.