Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Does or has anyone here used one of those "fat tire" electric bicycles for hunting? I have arthritis, among other things, and I was thinking of getting one. Kind of expensive, but you can't use a 4 wheeler on most national forest lands. You can use a horse or bicycle. They make a deer hauler trailer for them also. Just wondering.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wouldn’t an electric bicycle fall under a motorized vehicle classification? Most of the gated roads on the nation forest here in TN say no motorized vehicles allowed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The FS does allow them in most places. They came up with a classification plan that puts them in Class 1, 2, or 3 and they aren't called motor vehicles. That's all I know about it, though. I don't know what those classes mean.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My brother has one, but found he couldn’t manage it with one hand (lost use of his left arm in the last polio epidemic.) He wanted me to try it out last time I was north but I didn’t. I’ve seen a few on the beaches, ridden by geezers so can’t be too hard to manage.

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Wouldn’t an electric bicycle fall under a motorized vehicle classification? Most of the gated roads on the nation forest here in TN say no motorized vehicles allowed.
A lot of states classify e-bikes with a 750 watt motor or less as a regular bike. Friend of mine has used his fat tire bike in CO for elk hunting riding on forest trails without any issues.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rent one first.
For some reason people tend to crash hard while learning to control them, suppose they are not for everyone?

Neighbor has one of these.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Since you can't legally go around locked FS gates the extra width shouldn't be an issue. Might keep ya from advancing from arthritis to a broken hip or shoulder.

Not my cup of tea, I think the E-bikes and trikes are all gay.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
A lot of states classify e-bikes with a 750 watt motor or less as a regular bike. Friend of mine has used his fat tire bike in CO for elk hunting riding on forrest trails without any issues.

That's grand for State lands, not Federal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The FS does allow them in most places. They came up with a classification plan that puts them in Class 1, 2, or 3 and they aren't called motor vehicles. That's all I know about it, though. I don't know what those classes mean.

Most of the restrictions that I am aware of restrct ebikes to class 1 only.

https://www.heybike.com/blogs/heybi...pNEbJmMQZsVMdla0wdv-P4NKFEhoCOPUQAvD_BwE

Different EBike Classes Explained
E-Bike Class 1
The class 1 e-bike is a pedal-assisted bike. The bike's motor will support you till 20 mph. Then, the motor will automatically cut its power. A pedal-assisted e-bike means you have to pedal your bike to activate the motor. The throttle won't work separately.

E-Bike Class 2
A class 2 e-bike is a throttle-assisted bike. But, the throttle will support only 20 mph top speed. A class 2 e-bike has a separate throttle control. So, you don't have to pedal your bike to activate the motor. Just twist the throttle and your e-bike will run fully on the motor.

E-Bike Class 3
Class 3 e-bikes can be called really speedy. These bikes can reach 28 mph speed. But, it's a pedal-assisted bike. Therefore, to activate the throttle, you have to pedal your bike.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All E-Bikes are restricted to use on trails and roads opened to motorized vehicles only on Federal lands.

No free pass to non-motorized trails and roads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
All E-Bikes are restricted to use on trails and roads opened to motorized vehicles only on Federal lands.

No free pass to non-motorized trails and roads.

Where can I ride now?

The National Park Service (NPS) final rule issued in December 2020 generally states that e-bikes may go where traditional bicycles are allowed. However, superintendents at each park must give explicit direction to “limit or restrict” access for e-bikes, where they deem appropriate. There’s no blanket allowance, says Morgan Lommele, director of state and local policy for People for Bikes, an industry group that advocates for e-bikes.

So, e-bike rules for different parks may appear over time on a park-by-park basis. Before you visit, check a park’s website to find out which trails are accessible to e-bikes. (Use this park locater to plan your visit).

Redwood National Park in California, for example, allows e-bikes on most “hike/bike” trails, except four that cross into state park boundaries. In Utah’s Zion National Park, only Class 1 e-bikes are allowed where traditional bicycles are. Meanwhile, you can ride your e-bike (or bike) only in certain areas of Grand Canyon National Park. And in Yosemite National Park, e-bikes are also allowed where bicycles are allowed. However, mountain biking—and thus electric mountain biking (eMTB) on dirt trails—is not permitted in Yosemite.

https://www.rei.com/blog/cycle/ride-e-bike-federal-lands

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/e-bikes

Where are e-bikes currently allowed on national forests and grasslands?
Class 1, 2, and 3 e-bikes are allowed on motorized trails and roads on national forests and grasslands. Additionally, several year-round resorts operating under a special use permit have established e-bike use within their permit boundary.

Local Forest Service officials may consider new opportunities for e-bike use on non-motorized trails and in non-motorized areas by utilizing a designation process in accordance with the Travel Management Rule (36 CFR Part 212, Subpart B). Designations involve appropriate environmental analysis, public involvement, and local decision-making.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one and love it I built it myself It has a front wheel motor and a rear one with two batteries and two controlers, the right one is like a motorcycle throttle and controls the rear and the left throttle is like an ATV style thumb throttle. I mostly use the rear motor and use the front when I need a burst of power IE: taking off or a hill ect, I like that they can be used together or separately it is good insurance when you are miles in the middle of nowhere. I use one of those doggy carriers that bolts to the bike to haul my hunting gear, with twin 48 volt motors 1250 watts each this rig really hauls. I put a 60 tooth front sprocket and can hit 50 MPH with about 30 mile range I could get 40 plus but I am way to aggressive on the throttle, hey I can't help myself it's a blast.

PS: When the batteries ars fully charged they top off at 56 volts so that brings it to a total of 3000 watts total.

Click for larger pic.

Attached Images
IMG_0562.jpg (17.34 KB, 165 downloads)
Last edited by granitestate1; 07/14/22.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The neighbor up north has a 750 watt one and he seems to like it well enough for riding the trails and forest roads. He did say that he cut the handle bars down which made it harder to steer, but more maneuverable in the woods, so it must work well enough to take it for dry off road putting around. His brother has the larger 1,000 watt e-bike and that has more range and enough power to pull his trailer. Being one wheel drive, I suspect that you would have the same traction issues as my Honda CT110 once you get into soft or slippery areas. Even with a knobby tire it will sink and dig in. It is a comfort to have a legal licence and enough speed for county hard surfaced and dirt roads. The quiet aspect of an e-bike would be better for hunting. I saw more deer when I walked into my hunting area than when I took my Rokon.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This looks like the one I have with a few changes they must have updated it and is rated for 100 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Klarfit-Husk...652-2893558?pd_rd_i=B08ZJMPG7Q&psc=1

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love mine. It’s so fun!

My advice suggestions are.
Front shocks
Step thru frame. Like a girls bike

Last edited by Angus1895; 07/14/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I was in error on the Nat Forest. However, I also read this about other federal lands:

The US Forest Service still categorizes an e-MTB as “motorized” and prohibits its usage on non-motorized trails. However, a recent change (Aug. 2019) allowed e-MTB on all other federal lands in any places where standard bicycles are permitted. Meanwhile, the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation does not have an official policy regarding e-bikes, and local jurisdictions may have different regulations for e-bikes on their trails.
While this might not help the OP, here in ID we have huge chunks of BLM land. Most of it allows motorized travel on trails but there are some areas only open to bicycles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Unless the law recently changed, they can’t be used on state game lands in PA.

Home Of The Mollies
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by granitestate1
This looks like the one I have with a few changes they must have updated it and is rated for 100 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Klarfit-Husk...652-2893558?pd_rd_i=B08ZJMPG7Q&psc=1

Those are pretty much worthless on trails and FS roads. Better to go with a dedicated e bike off road hunting trailer

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pards boy just bought one, took it for a spin behind a gate the other day, second trip, caught on fire. I’ll find out what brand, it was like $2000 so not one of the more spendy bikes

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Those are pretty much worthless on trails and FS roads. Better to go with a dedicated e bike off road hunting trailer"

It works just fine for me here in the Florida flat lands.

Last edited by granitestate1; 07/14/22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.