Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
deflave,
Thanks for posting. Really good factual dissecting of the f'up.

Arcus Venator

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I can find a lot of fault with how this went down but the cop not taking a shot he was not sure of is pretty far down the list of what went wrong.

In my opinion you are missing the bigger piece of that part of the incident. The officer made a radio call to ask for permission to shoot from someone who was not seeing what he saw. If that doesn't raise a major WTF with you, you should really distance yourself from these kinds of discussions. That call belongs to the officer and the officer alone. If an officer needs help making shoot/don't shoot decisions, he is in the wrong profession. If he had passed on the shot because of his own assessment, then I'd understand his decision.

Well we can all have opinions and I will express mine when ever I feel the whim.

Don't want to see my opinion Rick Bin has supplied you with a handy little button. Click it.

Of all the issues with this disaster I find the cop not taking a hasty 148yds shot on a moving person he has not positively identified as the shooter one of the smallest.

To not understand that no city police force in the nation, much less in small town Uvalde, trains 148yds moving shots really means you don't even sort of grasp what was going on in that cops head.

You are free to Monday Morning Quarterback that to death, from your key board, but he did pass on his own assesment and was looking for validation for a risky shot from his chain of command.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 07/16/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If an officer needs help making shoot/don't shoot decisions, he is in the wrong profession.

He is.

But honestly, I don't know what people are expecting. You know who signs up to be a cop in Uvalde for $50k a year? A kid who wants to stay in his hometown but doesn't want to sweat a lot at work. They're not drawing from a really deep talent pool in Uvalde.

You can either recruit top talent or you can hope everything works out in Mayberry.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of all the issues with this disaster I find the cop not taking a hasty 148yds shot on a moving person he has not positively identified as the shooter one of the smallest.

Again, you missed the substance of the post. The officer used his radio to ask for permission to shoot. The shoot/don't shoot decision was his and his alone.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If an officer needs help making shoot/don't shoot decisions, he is in the wrong profession.

He is.

But honestly, I don't know what people are expecting. You know who signs up to be a cop in Uvalde for $50k a year? A kid who wants to stay in his hometown but doesn't want to sweat a lot at work. They're not drawing from a really deep talent pool in Uvalde.

You can either recruit top talent or you can hope everything works out in Mayberry.

Bingo! You said it perfectly. I have no idea what academy they go through. But up here all agencies minus APD go to the trooper academy in Sitka from my understanding it’s a very hard academy with a decent wash out rate. Which is what you want. If you can’t make a run and quit, what else will you quit on.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Again, you missed the substance of the post. The officer used his radio to ask for permission to shoot. The shoot/don't shoot decision was his and his alone.

I didn't miss anything.

He choose to pass on a risky shot while not having positive ID on the shooter.

He wanted validation from his chain of command to take a shot he was not ever trained to take on a person he was not sure needed to be shot.

Of all the bad decisions that day this is very near the bottom and is the essense of Monday Morning Quarter Backing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

He is.

Very true.

While the cops there sucked, the Brass was horrid. NO leadership. None.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't miss anything.

He wanted validation from his chain of command to take a shot he was not ever trained to take on a person he was not sure needed to be shot.

Of all the bad decisions that day this is very near the bottom and is the essense of Monday Morning Quarter Backing.

You are Monday Morning Quarterbacking yourself.

You don't know what type of shot the guy had. It may or may not have been a "risky shot" as you put it...

The guy may have been teed up like a golf ball, for all you know. Obviously, the cop had a clear enough picture to ID him as the shooter/armed intruder... Why else would have have asked for permission to engage?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
LOL.

Dumbshcitt that guy was a medic getting ready to treat wounded kids. Notice no gun. Notice doctor shoes. Notice rolling up sleeves.

That guy had the worst day of his entire life and you want to second guess him for doing what might be the smartest thing on the entire video.

Key board commandos bitching about the dumbest schitt.
John,

I looked at a frozen still picture of that guy, Glover put up. I’m fairly certain I saw a pistol on his right hip.

I was thrown, initially by his swanky brown dress shoes. Maybe a Dick ~ Detective. Maybe, I saw a glasses or iPhone case, and he’s a doc.

🦫

Beav,

He was a medic and probably a doctor.

What's sad if even if he was just a beat cop sanatizing his hand is litterally an extremely smart thing to do if you are facing a mass shooting and will be rendering aid to wounded.

Most without real world experince think doctors use gloves to protect themselves, it's much more for the wounded to stop infections.

Should have been faster on the delete, Beav. The packs gonna be mad. wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I didn't miss anything.

You are Monday Morning Quarterbacking yourself.

You don't know what type of shot the guy had. It may or may not have been a "risky shot" as you put it...

The guy may have been teed up like a golf ball, for all you know. Obviously, the cop had a clear enough picture to ID him as the shooter/armed intruder... Why else would have have asked for permission to engage?

So we all agree none of us know what the shot looked like or what the cop had for the positive ID that is reqiured for the use of deadly force, Right?

We also know pretty much as a fact that Uvalde does not train their police force in 148yd moving targets.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can guarantee you it was a risky shot. It was 148 yards, which was probably 98 yards further than he'd ever shot before. Imagine your longest shot ever, then triple the distance. And your rifle has a red dot and 8#, gritty, Mil-Spec trigger.

I've seen a lot of cops shoot, who were far better trained than UPD. I'd wager that the odds of him making the shot were less than 5%, outside of divine intervention.

Why else would have have asked for permission to engage?

Because he knew he couldn't hit the bad guy. And when he missed he wanted it to be someone else's fault...... "They told me I HAD to shoot."

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have the right to remain silent. You just don't have the good judgement to do so. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I can guarantee you it was a risky shot. It was 148 yards, which was probably 98 yards further than he'd ever shot before. Imagine your longest shot ever, then triple the distance. And your rifle has a red dot and 8#, gritty, Mil-Spec trigger.

I've seen a lot of cops shoot, who were far better trained than UPD. I'd wager that the odds of him making the shot were less than 5%, outside of divine intervention.

Why else would have have asked for permission to engage?

Because he knew he couldn't hit the bad guy. And when he missed he wanted it to be someone else's fault...... "They told me I HAD to shoot."

Yeah, judging from what I've personally seen on the police range, from your avg. cop, probably not an easy shot.

Now, if it had been you or I there, the guy probably would have been down kicking. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
They should put electronic locks in schools so that any teacher or administrator can push a button and lock every door at the same time.

Sounds good unless I happen to be one of those out in the hallways when the locks are thrown, then at the very least I’m fumbling for my keys when seconds might count, if I had keys to fit adjacent doors.

I’d go with a simple mechanical lock thrown manually from the inside of the door.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I didn't miss anything.

. Incorrect. Asking leadership to make a shoot don’t shoot decision for him is a goddam embarrassment.

Hold under the hand sanitizer
Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Incorrect. Asking leadership to make a shoot don’t shoot decision for him is a goddam embarrassment.

Paul

Monday Morning Quarter Back safe behind his keyboard,

He made a decision to not shoot. You can second guess him all you want, won't change the decision.

Maybe you should hang up the spandex and bike helmet and join your local police force so you can make split second life and death decisions.

Post up the exact transcript of the cop's comunications with his chain of command.

Like I said of all the bad schitt that happened that day one cop not taking a risky shot at a person he had not PIDed is way down the list of things to dwell on.

But you have this one stuck in your craw and for some reason the emotion driving you is embarrasment?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
You have the right to remain silent. You just don't have the good judgement to do so. whistle
This is such an awesome statement for a big chunk of the campfire forms...
But if everybody practice that it would not be near as entertaining

Last edited by ldholton; 07/16/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ever wonder why I am so confident taking on a pack?

Honestly, I figured you thrived on the attention.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
Ever wonder why I am so confident taking on a pack?

Honestly, I figured you thrived on the attention.
Or used to getting gang banged

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Asking leadership to make a shoot don’t shoot decision for him is a goddam embarrassment.

Paul

Well stated, and irrefutable.

MAGA
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.