Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JeffG
...fixed it for Ya Rory,..

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Gray rat - one missing most of the original blue on the receiver.

They still work though.

[Linked Image]

There ya go. And a mighty fine collection too!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's been pretty well covered. I'll add, just because it's grey, doesn't mean it's not desirable. My 1902 Enoch Tue engraved rifle is "Greyer" than Rory's, but I find it desirable. I bet if the receiver was as blue as the barrel, I wouldn't have it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hee hee..

Found the darned thing. Miss RAM.

Originally Posted by RAM
A gun in less than "collectable" condition. Usually categorized as such due to lack of ORIGINAL blue finish. ie: Grey. But there are also "Blue Rats" (reblues) Black Rats (Bake on finishes), Cheese Rats(non original holes) Freckled Rats (pitting/wide spread rust), Wood Rat (non O.E. wood, added pads, chopped butts) a sub-specie of the Wood rat that is not as harshly admonished as of late is the Studded Rat.

It is quite possible (and unfortunately quite often) to find a "Hybrid Rat" that is a mongrel mix of any of the "Rat" species.

Example, the picture above is a "Grey Cheese Rat" for example. (No Bluing, and non O.E. tapped for a scope)

I remember that posting but thought it was a Mad_Dog creation. (Ross emailed me the other day to see if I was still alive.)

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I couldn't remember whose it was, but was sure it wasn't Mad_Dog's. It wasn't sarcastic enough to be Joe's. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To continue on the peripheral subject of originality:

I have an 1899 that letters as having been back to Savage four times, with nothing on the work orders to indicate what was done, except the first, which indicates a change of sights. The barrel is an obvious replacement, as it is later threads and address. The blue, wood, and bore are all in acceptable condition. What is it worth?

Considerations:
It is a first year 250
It has deluxe wood and checkering, with no cracks.
The bolt and lever are engine turned.
All serial numbers on metal and wood match.
All of the work orders reference the consignee, a prominent Republican politician and business man in Utica
The original consignee was J. DePew Lynch, at the time Corporate Secretary of Savage, and a man instrumental in screwing his fellow stockholders in the Seabury transaction

How do the work orders and apparent lack of originality affect the value of the rifle?

Last edited by bigolddave; 07/14/22. Reason: Mis print on original consignee's name
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigolddave
To continue on the peripheral subject of originality:

I have an 1899 that letters as having been back to Savage four times, with nothing on the work orders to indicate what was done, except the first, which indicates a change of sights. The barrel is an obvious replacement, as it is later threads and address. The blue, wood, and bore are all in acceptable condition. What is it worth?

Considerations:
It is a first year 250
It has deluxe wood and checkering, with no cracks.
The bolt and lever are engine turned.
All serial numbers on metal and wood match.
All of the work orders reference the consignee, a prominent Republican politician and business man in Utica
The original consignee was J. DePew Lynch, at the time Corporate Secretary of Savage, and a man instrumental in screwing his fellow stockholders in the Seabury transaction

How do the work orders and apparent lack of originality affect the value of the rifle?
The additional work orders likely explain the non-originality.
Drag 'er along to Savage Fest and we'll have a look.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
It's been pretty well covered. I'll add, just because it's grey, doesn't mean it's not desirable. My 1902 Enoch Tue engraved rifle is "Greyer" than Rory's, but I find it desirable. I bet if the receiver was as blue as the barrel, I wouldn't have it.

I'll stop by on Saturday and we can fix it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yeah, it was formulated here waaaay back around the time I enlisted here 17 years ago. (I'm retiring when I get my 20 years in, haha!)

Is that when you get your pension round here? 20 years and out?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ross pops in less than me, glad to hear he’s still on this planet!

I was gonna say it was his post long ago but was only 99%.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yeah, it was formulated here waaaay back around the time I enlisted here 17 years ago. (I'm retiring when I get my 20 years in, haha!)

Is that when you get your pension round here? 20 years and out?

You get a pin at 25 yrs and an urn for your ashes at 35 yrs with a plaque the states "Savage Grey Rat".

Last edited by Rick99; 07/19/22.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coming up on the pin but I'll probably need the urn sooner. grin Oh, and I really miss Ramm. His comments could really piss some people off but his posts about 99s were pretty much always spot on. And life goes on. Sorry, I should have started another thread.

Last edited by Skidrow; 07/15/22.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And to Mad dog, sorry I sent the cigar and airplane bottle of Scotch in the package. Wasn't trying to get you busted. Just wanted to show you some apprecation. Again,life goes on. And again, off topic.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow
And to Mad dog, sorry I sent the cigar and airplane bottle of Scotch in the package. Wasn't trying to get you busted. Just wanted to show you some apprecation. Again,life goes on. And again, off topic.

YOU my friend are NEVER off topic about ANYTHING.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hadn't thought much about this subject. I would have considered this rifle a gray rat but I believe it is worn or abused beyond this category. Bore isn't too hot either. Opinions on whether or not it's a gray rat would be appreciated.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I think it's cool that the Sweetwater County Sheriff's office had it at one time. The guy I got it from said he got it from a county impound auction. I wouldn't part this one out for that reason. It is also 1899 production, serial number 10.7XX.

Last edited by wyo1895; 07/19/22.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think that one is what the BATF had in mind when they established the C & R license.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
David i would say just a RAT !!! But very early 1899

L
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Was Frank Mahoney a local bad guy? Looks like several of the outlaw guns they have in Craig, Colorado at their Museum of the West (well-worth the stop, BTW).

'Tis better to burn out than it is to rust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't find anything on the internet about Mahoney. He had to do something wrong to get his rifle confiscated.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I think that one exceeded the threshold. I would have to say that the GR classification should encompass working rifles and anything that didn't work couldn't be included. And I would have to include bad barrels in the "it didn't work" catagory. Grey Rats are users.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He didn't say the rifle was unable, just that the bore isn't too hot. I have rifles that don't have great bores but they will still group under 4" at 100 yards.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12savage, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,895
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.