Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’m seeking some input and/or expertise regarding French Walnut, namely grain pattern. Winchester classifies the Super Grade dressed in French Walnut as AAA. In the pictures, what type wood or (grade) would any grade this pattern?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
GB1

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Beautiful. That's all the "grade" I need.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is extraordinarily subjective. Beauty will forever remain in the eye of the beholder. If you have photos of the rest of the rifle, it would help.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like straight grain stocks and yours is nicely figured but far from AAA grade. I would call it AA grade at best.

I did find this online:
Walnut Grades
By Ken Smith – Modified 5/16/07
(*New Grading Terms)

The N.H.L.A. (National Hardwood Lumber Association) sets the standards for grading Walnut and other hardwood species. However, they do not grade for figure at all. This is subjective depending upon who you ask. These are the basic standards that we set for Smith Basses for Instrument Grade Black Walnut.

Grade 1 (A) *Plain
Plain unfigured tops and may have small pin knots. Also used for core sets and veneers.

Grade 2 (AA) *Low Figured
Clear and free from all knots and may have an attractive grain pattern occasionally with a ‘spot’ of figure in areas.

Grade 3 (AAA) *Medium Figured
“Crotch Walnut” or marbled Grain occasionally with figure in spots or lightly flamed straight grain with or without presence of the crotch.

Grade 4 (Premium AAAA) *Highly Figured
Handsome figure throughout most of the top. Possibilities include: Flame, Crisscross, Marbled, Crotch, etc.

Grade 5 “Elite Grade” (Exhibition AAAAA) *Extreme Figure
Very Highly figured Exhibition 1-of-a-kind tops. Includes Feather Crotch, Crisscross, Marbled, etc.

NOTE: Exhibition Grade figure stands out better with our catalyzed lacquer Elite Series finis

Last edited by Boise; 07/23/22.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

This would bug me.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I may agree with you (AA). Winchester states AAA. Should I make a complaint. Here is a photo of what may be stuttering, not sure. What do you think?

Last edited by Synoptic; 07/23/22.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

This would bug me.

I do not see what you're referring to. The image is somewhat blurred. Did you crop the photo I uploaded?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Do you mean where the White Arrow is?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, and yes.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, and yes.

Would that be inclusive of the complaint as well?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

See the difference?

My take, and my take only; you are looking for perfection in a factory rifle. The level of wood and perfection you seek may or may not be available. If you increase your budget somewhat, you may find some things more acceptable to your discriminating desires.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...l-70-270-winchester.cfm?gun_id=101995368

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Yes, and yes.

Sure. I think you should complain to Winchester about both of those issues. I would be interested to hear their reply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

See the difference?

My take, and my take only; you are looking for perfection in a factory rifle. The level of wood and perfection you seek may or may not be available. If you increase your budget somewhat, you may find some things more acceptable to your discriminating desires.

That's pretty sweet.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, and yes.

Sure. I think you should complain to Winchester about both of those issues. I would be interested to hear their reply.

* I specifically stated 'Stuttering' when in fact it's "Sputtering", yet you made no mention of that. Why is that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were selling the rifle I would describe it a "AA Grade". "AAA" is optimistic, but it is still a nice handle.

This Prussian/Daly has what I would call borderline "AAA" French that they used at this period.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not a good photo but the French wood on this medium-high grade early pre-war Sauer set is "AA-AAA" borderline...close grain with some fiddleback.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by luv2safari; 07/23/22.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

See the difference?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...l-70-270-winchester.cfm?gun_id=101995368[/quote]

* Sorry, don't like it at all.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, and yes.

* I specifically stated 'Stuttering' when in fact it's "Sputtering", yet you made no mention of that. Why is that?
Because I am still wondering if I am teaching an AI algorithm new tricks.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by luv2safari
If I were selling the rifle I would describe it a "AA Grade". "AAA" is optimistic, but it is still a nice handle.

No question that I agree with you. However, Winchester states AAA Wood. What do you believe their response to the aforesaid issue would be? That could be construed as false advertisement and misrepresentation. Would you keep it or opt for another stock? I really hate to go through the aggravation, even though I have paralegal experience. Thank you very much for the support.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
To the best of my knowledge there are no standards for stock wood grading - one mans AAA is another mans AA, its all subjective.

It is like a beautiful woman, what makes one beautiful to one person many leave another person cold. But with stock woods and women I know what I like when I see it regardless of grade or someone elses opinion.

If you didn't look it over good and notice these "defects" beforehand then shame on you. If you have bought it and don't like it then IMO you should not have purchased in the first place.

If you haven't purchased it yet then don't - problem solved.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.