Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hook
Originally Posted by ewc
Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete that ever lived. And one hell of a great human.
I've never been one to claim "the greatest ever" for anything, because there are so many variables that go into that title. However, anyone that doesn't believe that Bo Jackson was one of the most phenomenal athletes of our time has rocks in his head. As an AU grad about 10 years ahead of him, I have followed his career and life from day one at Auburn. He even played high school ball across the road from the cemetery where most of my ancestors (dating back to before the War of the Northern Aggression) are buried, although I didn't know that until his Auburn years.

His archery mentor was an Opelika businessman named George Mann. I've never met Bo but spent some time with Mr. Mann at his home/wildlife museum on the outskirts of Auburn. He related many stories of archery hunting with Bo around the South, Alaska, and Canada. Some were quite humorous, but they all proved that his athletic expertise extended over to his archery skills.

Mr. Mann stopped using firearms in 1973 and bowhunted the world after that. One entire wall in his office was covered with P&Y certificates of his record book kills. I wish now I had counted them, but there had to have been dozens! The full-sized mounts in his museum were awe inspiring. The museum was moved to the Montgomery Zoo a while back. I need to go over there to see those animals again. I got to meet him because he invited my son over to hunt with him. He loved to take kids out to kill their first deer on his place. Nathan killed a doe and an 8 point hunting with him that day. Nate later got a certificate from him to that effect and his certificate was number 214! George told me that day that the 'oldest kid' he'd taken to kill their first deer was 73. BTW, I wasn't allowed in the shooting house with him....just Nate and Mr. Mann.

Charles Kelly, longtime director of Alabama's Game and Fish Department, was on a hunt with Bo and watched him trying to field dress a deer he'd killed. Bo was having a real problem trying to split the deer's sternum and Charles said, "Bo, that's got to be an awfully dull knife. With your upper body strength, you should be able to split that rib cage with a boat paddle"! Then he handed Bo his knife which zipped right through the sternum. Chares told Bo just to keep the knife and Bo promptly threw his old knife as far down into the woods as he could.

This kind of content makes this place great!

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Was George Mann brother to Tom Mann?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What a class act. He always seemed like a good guy.

What an athlete. Pro football and pro baseball.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
No doubt, at least in my mind, that Bo is the greatest athlete ever. I'm sure the ESPN series 30 for 30 can be found on Youtube. Look up the one on Bo Jackson......unbelievable. I played professional baseball with one of Bo's teammates from Auburn. He told me the same as you guys in the know.....Bo is a great guy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Herschel Walker was probably a little better running back than Bo, since Bo didn’t get to finish his NFL career, we will never know for sure.
But Bo had more talent, considering his MLB Career.
Both were Olympic Level Athletes.
Bo had a better personality and was smarter than ole Herschel too.

Anyone remember Herschel running over then Tennessee & future Dallas Cowboys LB Bill Bates in College? Even better play than Bo running over Bos.
It was damn funny too.

Never got to see Bo play in person, unfortunately, but I did get to see Herschel play in person both times he played for Dallas.
Always liked both Bo & Herschel. Both incredible athletes and good guys too.
Would have loved to see both of them playing in the same backfield. Herschel as FB, and Bo as RB.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/23/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A space ship from the other side of the Milky Way came by Earth in the early 1960s and dropped off Herschel, Bo, and Deion. Their athleticism is non human.

Warning- do not invade that planet!😳😳😳

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
A space ship from the other side of the Milky Way came by Earth in the early 1960s and dropped off Herschel, Bo, and Deion. Their athleticism is non human.

LOL. No doubt. Met Dion one time. Couldn’t believe how small he was. He liked to bass fish.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Herschel Walker was probably a little better running back than Bo, since Bo didn’t get to finish his NFL career, we will never know for sure.
But Bo had more talent, considering his MLB Career.
Both were Olympic Level Athletes.
Bo had a better personality and was smarter than ole Herschel too.

Anyone remember Herschel running over then Tennessee & future Dallas Cowboys LB Bill Bates in College? Even better play than Bo running over Bos.
It was damn funny too.

Never got to see Bo play in person, unfortunately, but I did get to see Herschel play in person both times he played for Dallas.
Always liked both Bo & Herschel. Both incredible athletes and good guys too.
Would have loved to see both of them playing in the same backfield. Herschel as FB, and Bo as RB.

Herschel supposedly wasn’t into weight training but relied more on calisthenics and stretching type regimens

He was also very good at Ballet and did quite a bit of it using his dexterity, strength and balance.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
why would the check be given to the mayor?
I agree......the city didn't help the situation in any way.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
why would the check be given to the mayor?
I agree......the city didn't help the situation in any way.

Given to Governor Abbott.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Beyond Class!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bo was a way better back than Herschel. Herschel was almost clumsy, he was terrible with the Vikings.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 07/23/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hatari

Total Agreement...those three may be the greatest football athletes of all time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hook
Originally Posted by ewc
Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete that ever lived. And one hell of a great human.
I've never been one to claim "the greatest ever" for anything, because there are so many variables that go into that title. However, anyone that doesn't believe that Bo Jackson was one of the most phenomenal athletes of our time has rocks in his head. As an AU grad about 10 years ahead of him, I have followed his career and life from day one at Auburn. He even played high school ball across the road from the cemetery where most of my ancestors (dating back to before the War of the Northern Aggression) are buried, although I didn't know that until his Auburn years.

His archery mentor was an Opelika businessman named George Mann. I've never met Bo but spent some time with Mr. Mann at his home/wildlife museum on the outskirts of Auburn. He related many stories of archery hunting with Bo around the South, Alaska, and Canada. Some were quite humorous, but they all proved that his athletic expertise extended over to his archery skills.

Mr. Mann stopped using firearms in 1973 and bowhunted the world after that. One entire wall in his office was covered with P&Y certificates of his record book kills. I wish now I had counted them, but there had to have been dozens! The full-sized mounts in his museum were awe inspiring. The museum was moved to the Montgomery Zoo a while back. I need to go over there to see those animals again. I got to meet him because he invited my son over to hunt with him. He loved to take kids out to kill their first deer on his place. Nathan killed a doe and an 8 point hunting with him that day. Nate later got a certificate from him to that effect and his certificate was number 214! George told me that day that the 'oldest kid' he'd taken to kill their first deer was 73. BTW, I wasn't allowed in the shooting house with him....just Nate and Mr. Mann.

Charles Kelly, longtime director of Alabama's Game and Fish Department, was on a hunt with Bo and watched him trying to field dress a deer he'd killed. Bo was having a real problem trying to split the deer's sternum and Charles said, "Bo, that's got to be an awfully dull knife. With your upper body strength, you should be able to split that rib cage with a boat paddle"! Then he handed Bo his knife which zipped right through the sternum. Chares told Bo just to keep the knife and Bo promptly threw his old knife as far down into the woods as he could.

Great story. I don’t know Mr. Mann, but I need to ask around. Is Mr. Mann still with us?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother played for the Bulldogs in the seventies. He was a linebacker, captain of the Junkyard Dogs. In 1980 he was in law school at Georgia, and as a football alum he had access to the massive gym complex which is for football players only. One August day he was in the big steam room, he saw a football player come in, the guy had a sweatsuit on, and brother noticed he was wearing his shoulder pads.

Brother asked himself "Who is the dumbass would come in here wearing shoulder pads? Probably some goofball freshman."

The guy had his back to my brother. Brother walked to the door, and looked sideways at the guy to see who it was. Then, he saw the guy wasn't wearing shoulder pads, that was just how the guy was built. It was Herschel Walker.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bo is a stand up guy. Always has been. He loves to hunt and is a great ambassador for our sport. He’s also the best athlete I’ve ever seen.

Home Of The Mollies
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My brother played for the Bulldogs in the seventies. He was a linebacker, captain of the Junkyard Dogs. In 1980 he was in law school at Georgia, and as a football alum he had access to the massive gym complex which is for football players only. One August day he was in the big steam room, he saw a football player come in, the guy had a sweatsuit on, and brother noticed he was wearing his shoulder pads.

Brother asked himself "Who is the dumbass would come in here wearing shoulder pads? Probably some goofball freshman."

The guy had his back to my brother. Brother walked to the door, and looked sideways at the guy to see who it was. Then, he saw the guy wasn't wearing shoulder pads, that was just how the guy was built. It was Herschel Walker.

LOL !

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
Hey, Lebron,

This is how you make the world a slightly better place.

Lebone is a cheap ass me me me racist chkunt.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Morewood
Hey, Lebron,

This is how you make the world a slightly better place.

Lebone is a cheap ass me me me racist chkunt.

Yep. I’m guessing the only thing that POS has ever done for anyone is for himself.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Great story. I don’t know Mr. Mann, but I need to ask around. Is Mr. Mann still with us?

He passed in 2015 I think. He enjoyed telling of his hunting experiences and didn't come across as bragging at all. I think he just wanted whoever he was talking to to enjoy hearing of his hunts as much as he had enjoyed doing them. I wish I could have spent more time with him. One thing I'll say about him is that he was a pure hunter. He stopped hunting whitetails because he couldn't find one bigger than his best. His favorite hunting method was to have a pilot fly him into the interior in AK or Canada and leave him alone for several days with nothing more than survival basics, his bow, and his camera.

Bo stories abound here in AL. I've heard most of them. He was one of the best athletes to ever play any game, and he could play and excel in practically anything if he wanted. A previous poster may have been correct about him having alien DNA. In the 40 years or so he's been in the full view of the public, I've never heard anything really negative about him or his lifestyle. The hip injury that slowed him down and eventually caused his retirement was a real shame. He does love the outdoors, too.

[b][/b]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.