Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I doubt that would stand up to the inevitable legal challenge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by FatCity67
If .Gov wants your chit they will take it. Even in Montana.

They already started.

Salish Kootenai Water Compact.

But.............................it's for the children.....................and the greater good.

Resistance is Futile..................Assimilate!

Apparently, I forgot ......................it's for the Natives.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
What you mention about volume might be the reason we haven't received any letters..........yet?

I'm not positive, but I believe our well is registered. I haven't bothered to fact check that. But, as a small domestic well, I doubt even with my gardening I'm going to use enough to cause them to come after me..................yet?

What you say about it being a shared resource is what worries some of us. There's a big AG operation over the ridge from us, thousands of acres under pivots and wheel lines. Some of their water comes from the river, but a big portion is groundwater. My rancher neighbor thinks we're all on the same aquifer and in drought years, like this one, when those folks really have to pump to grow alfalfa the level in our wells get lowered. Likely he's worried about his pivot and wheel line on the one section down the road.. I think he's got water rights on the creek that runs through his property where his house and farm are, but these couple of fields use well water.

Scheidty situation for sure, but there's no doubt in my mind the "city fathers" would love for more folks to move into the area. We lost 10% of the population from 2010 census to the 2020 one and businesses are suffering. But, where the hell are they going to find the water if this drought, that's predicted to get worse by some, continues for another decade or more.

It'll be a big lifestyle change if I have to stop gardening because our well will only support our domestic use. And if it gets really bad it'll mean thousands of $$$ to drill it deeper.

Is it any wonder I'm not a fan of..........................people?

Well, a good portion of them at least.

What I'm told is that they started south and are working north. They are working around Sacramento as of this spring. That said, they already tried to take my friend in Modoc's spring water for "stream flow rights" two years ago. They haven't come after his wells, yet.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, that spring flow thing is contentious, especially if the spring flow historically made it to the creek/river or other watercourse someone had "rights" to.

I think if I were to go to law school as a younger person now, water rights might be a profitable field to explore.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Just because the water lies under your property, does not mean you automatically own it.

Dutch here is an expert on this issue. as he uses lots of spring water for his operations, and has dealt with varying flow rates.

It has been in the news over the last few years, that the aquifer in the Magic Valley Idaho has been dropping, as large ag producers punch wells for irrigation. But the water rights to those wells are in many cases junior to the guys depending on spring flows where the aquifer resurfaces.

When the guy with senior water rights starts losing his flow. The guy with junior water rights loses his water first.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SE Oregon here and alfalfa growers are following water down on almost an annual basis. Don't buy a pivot without thoroughly checking the well's history. If agr. wants to put down a new well now, they have to plug an old one.

A few primo trout fishing holes have lost their historic spring inputs and dried up. Nearby 1/2 section pivots are likely the culprit.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Just because the water lies under your property, does not mean you automatically own it.

Dutch here is an expert on this issue. as he uses lots of spring water for his operations, and has dealt with varying flow rates.

It has been in the news over the last few years, that the aquifer in the Magic Valley Idaho has been dropping, as large ag producers punch wells for irrigation. But the water rights to those wells are in many cases junior to the guys depending on spring flows where the aquifer resurfaces.

When the guy with senior water rights starts losing his flow. The guy with junior water rights loses his water first.

Yep. The story of the west is all about water rights.

Carpe' Scrotum
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Yep. The story of the west is all about water rights.

People should stop trying to settle out in the sticks. Gather up in cities.

Sheesh

Hold into the .gov pension

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we fight a war over excessive taxation without representation?

Take a look at their representatives.

That's your answer.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
SE Oregon here and alfalfa growers are following water down on almost an annual basis. Don't buy a pivot without thoroughly checking the well's history. If agr. wants to put down a new well now, they have to plug an old one.

A few primo trout fishing holes have lost their historic spring inputs and dried up. Nearby 1/2 section pivots are likely the culprit.

There is no place in Idaho where you can put in an ag or industrial well without buying someone else's water right, first. Water is, as we say, "fully allocated". Irrigation, industry, domestic, stream flow, hydro, native tribes, lots of different water rights.

The Idaho water doctrine is "first in right, first in time". The spring I operate on has one of the oldest rights in Idaho, 1864. No one can, in any way, diminish that spring. If someone in the watershed drills a well, and affects the spring flow, I can make a "call for water", and they will have to shut down. Period, end of story.

There is a stretch around the Twin Falls area that is called the "thousand springs reach", where the chasm created by the flood that drained the ice age inland sea cuts through the lava rock and intersects the Snake River Plain aquifer, and a million gallons of spring flow PER MINUTE comes out of the canyon walls. Trout farms filed for the spring flow rights, and had their operations for half a century and more. Then the droughts started, irrigation practices changed, and farmers up stream (way, way, WAY upstream -- as far as Mud Lake and the Idaho Falls / Blackfoot regions 160 miles away) started putting in BIG wells. Springs started dropping, slowly at first, then faster.

The spring flow was roughly cut in half from the 1967 peak by 2000, and the fish farmers made a call for water. Long story short, the irrigators ended up buying the fish farmer's water rights in a state brokered deal, for roughly $200K per CFS (cubic feet per second, about an acre foot per day). Now the fish farmers are renting back their water right and old facilities, but since they don't own the rights, they can no longer call on water.

The irrigators most certainly paid for water, and a HECK of a lot more than the proposal in Kali.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting topic and some great information. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Up until fairly recently, California groundwater laws have been somewhat archaic and loose. This is mostly because for the last 60-80 years the state’s surface water projects have met a huge part of the demand and groundwater demand hadn’t outstripped its capacity.

Well now things are changing. Not enough new projects to meet the increased demand(environmental, ag, and urban). Not to mention environmentalists are working on taking dams out. Not everywhere in the state is groundwater an issue, but once something gets on the state’s radar it becomes a problem for everyone.

I think there are western states that have some pretty structured water laws because they have needed something in place because of the groundwater demand. If I were to guess, CA could probably adopt some of these and fix what ails it, but instead they’ll reinvent the wheel and fark it all up.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Commiefornia, everything is allowed.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
California had a chance to recall Newsome and send a message to the other bedwetters.

That chance is gone.

We voted him out and the Voter Fraud flipped for him
You really think there are going to be Honest elections in this entire Country until people Lots of people go to prison over this issue.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here in Podunk

we are allotted 10K gallons per month of city culanary water.......$18/month

I use 3-4K gallons of the allotted 10K

Outside irrigation water is different

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When are Californians going to have enough of this crap and start rising up and just throwing these people out of office... via the 5th floor window, head first??

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.