Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Anyone traveling to a foreign nation should avail themselves of the local and national laws and pertinent regs.

And carry a roll of $100s in his pocket.
Ahhh, Yes... "Benjamin Road Blocks..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Have often found myself South of The Border,
Mason-Dixon (in Maryland) with a handgun.
Scares me Every time.

Dittos onMaryland. I can drive 1,800 miles to a relative’s house in PA and legally carry all the way except for the 12 miles of Interstate en route that crosses Maryland.

Last year I stopped off to see the New River Gorge in WVa and unexpectedly found myself crossing like 30 miles of Maryland on an interstate right along the northern state line. Doesn’t help any that a buddy has a BiL who’s a Maryland State Trooper, a real d$ck who says he loves to pull over Texas plates to see if he can catch them on firearms violations.

This year I attended a wedding in Norfolk VA n route and headed up the Delmarva Peninsula, fuggin’ Maryland again. Even Delaware has better gun laws.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Once I flew back East to NY State. Found out later I had a speed strip with five .38 Special hollowpoints in my checked-in luggage.

That got my attention, no idea how they got there. If I had used the bag as carry on luggage I woulda been busted, if I had flown to Mexico I woulda been fugged.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The son of a friend of mine spent years in Mexican prison.
He was there on vacation, building homes for habitat for humanity.
He put a prescription bottle in the mail, from a Mexican pharmacy.

Another guy we know found an attorney in NYC that arranged a prisoner exchange between the US and Mexico.
As soon as the US authorities got the son, they released him.
He was very skinny from prison food, his wife had divorced him, his mother had died, but his strong Christian faith was undaunted.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve walked across the Mexican border a few times. Last was in 2003. Never again. The locals harass you for money, and try selling worthless junk. Then the Mexican authorities try to intimidate you upon crossing back into the USA. Back in 2003, a drunken Federally detained my wife at the time. We realized then we truly had no rights, and could disappear. People say to drive across and go to tourist resorts. That’s even worse. No more trips to beandog land.

Let's Go Brandon!
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Scares me Every time.

Dittos onMaryland. I can drive 1,800 miles to a relative’s house in PA and legally carry all the way except for the 12 miles of Interstate en route that crosses Maryland.

Last year I stopped off to see the New River Gorge in WVa and unexpectedly found myself crossing like 30 miles of Maryland on an interstate right along the northern state line. Doesn’t help any that a buddy has a BiL who’s a Maryland State Trooper, a real d$ck who says he loves to pull over Texas plates to see if he can catch them on firearms violations.

This year I attended a wedding in Norfolk VA n route and headed up the Delmarva Peninsula, fuggin’ Maryland again. Even Delaware has better gun laws.

I am curious how the recent SC ruling will affect the Maryland laws.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Clarkm
The son of a friend of mine spent years in Mexican prison.
He was there on vacation, building homes for habitat for humanity.
He put a prescription bottle in the mail, from a Mexican pharmacy.

Another guy we know found an attorney in NYC that arranged a prisoner exchange between the US and Mexico.
As soon as the US authorities got the son, they released him.
He was very skinny from prison food, his wife had divorced him, his mother had died, but his strong Christian faith was undaunted.

Wished I had a nickel for every time some Mexican national came in the shop with an postal bag obviously mailed to them here from the interior and the contents was always some kind of handgun they needed parts for. We never had the parts.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
A few years ago a guy was crossing in to Mexico in his car. At the border Mexican cops found a single live 9mm cartridge.

He spent at least 6 months in Mexican prison, and paid many thousands of dollars.

Any Ammo on your person or inside your vehicle makes them a mexican ATM and for about as long as your host chooses.

I can relate $25,000 worth of one time payment for son in law and his dad. If Buddy hadn’t owned a ranch in Del Rio and had a very good friend Veterinarian in Acuna they’d both still be in jail there. 2 shotgun shells. Tore his Dodge pickup to pieces searching after they found the 2 shotgun shells. Had to sit on buckets to drive back across.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Long ago as a young man we enjoyed our trips across. We ran the rodeo circuit along the border and would slip over when we could. Pretty dark eyed girls and friendly people. Wouldn't go there on a bet these days.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No run ins down there myself, but I've had some experiences with graduate students from Mexico. Success with technicalities is entirely dependent on who you know or can pay off.

My personal rule with international travel is "don't break the law." Could be worse. He could have landed in NY.

Forrest Gump had a saying that pretty much applies in his situation.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/27/22.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My friend had to pay the Mexican prison to feed his son in prison....still, he was starving.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Longbob
Scares me Every time.

Up until now, you had to have a "Reasonable Cause" in order to get a CCW such as you own a business, go to the bank for a business, or you're an armed guard, etc., etc. After the SC ruling, all of that got thrown out and the governor made it so anybody can get a CCW after going through the 16 hours of training, finger printed, and a live fire test. I've been a business owner for 25 years and have always thought about getting a carry permit, but I've been too busy and they made you jump through a bunch of hoops, so I never did it. Back in 2020 when the SHTF, I wanted to go for it but just haven't had the time. The day after the SC ruling came down, I signed up for the class before they got bogged down. Well, they're bogged down now, but I still applied. Should see it in a couple of months.

As far as traveling through MD with a gun goes, you can do it, however, it needs to be unloaded. You can also transport a gun to and from the range or hunting. You guys make it sound like they're gonna lock you up and throw away the key for transporting a firearm. Just don't do anything stupid like speeding or driving like a maniac and unload it and you'll be fine. I drive around with guns in the truck a couple of times a week and have never had a problem.

Now DC is the place that you don't want to get caught with as much as an empty shotgun shell.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most cops ain't to smart, and this one is no exception.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by Longbob
Scares me Every time.

Up until now, you had to have a "Reasonable Cause" in order to get a CCW such as you own a business, go to the bank for a business, or you're an armed guard, etc., etc. After the SC ruling, all of that got thrown out and the governor made it so anybody can get a CCW after going through the 16 hours of training, finger printed, and a live fire test. I've been a business owner for 25 years and have always thought about getting a carry permit, but I've been too busy and they made you jump through a bunch of hoops, so I never did it. Back in 2020 when the SHTF, I wanted to go for it but just haven't had the time. The day after the SC ruling came down, I signed up for the class before they got bogged down. Well, they're bogged down now, but I still applied. Should see it in a couple of months.

As far as traveling through MD with a gun goes, you can do it, however, it needs to be unloaded. You can also transport a gun to and from the range or hunting. You guys make it sound like they're gonna lock you up and throw away the key for transporting a firearm. Just don't do anything stupid like speeding or driving like a maniac and unload it and you'll be fine. I drive around with guns in the truck a couple of times a week and have never had a problem.

Now DC is the place that you don't want to get caught with as much as an empty shotgun shell.

Thank you for the clarification and explanation.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Another affirmative action success story. The dumb groid must have been sound asleep in class. Let the phugger rot in Mexican jail.

Let's Go Brandon!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He may have thought he had special, magical cop privileges

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
When viewed through the eyes of law abiding “civilians”, bringing a firearm into Mexico is pure stupidity. When viewed through the eyes of cops, a class of people that are generally exempt from having to follow the laws they enforce, this is a simple case of lost in translation and nothing that a little “professional courtesy” can’t overcome. 😉 If this wasn’t a cross border crime or if it had happened at a time when the border wasn’t as contentious as it is now we’d likely never hear about it. The mentality amongst cops is that they will get away with “it”, especially when “it” comes to them being able to make the argument that they were simply following established SOP’s like carrying off duty.

I’ve got to disagree with you on this one, Aces. I’d say it was pretty much universal among Law Enforcement that Mexico is an extremely dangerous place where you wouldn’t want to screw around. Most know better than to go there at all! There’s one in every crowd and this Knucklehead was either drunk when he packed it or too stupid to be a cop, even in Memphis.

Bob, Fair enough…. I think you and I aren’t too far apart on this but I tend to see more of the “cowboy” attitude in these things. I saw it daily when I was working and I recognize it easily now. I’m of course basing my “insight” on the same article as you and I might be wrong….. I am willing to be wrong for once. 😁

All my best to you Bob. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
StoneCutter,
Not a lawyer, don't begin to know MD law.

Do know that when we lived near Hyndman Pa, and wanted to take
a handgun along fishing to Cumberland Dam, (in PA) we called the
MD State Police and ask about hauling it through Maryland.
That trip was the short way, around the southern end of Wills Mtn.
Into and back out of Maryland.

We were told to just leave that handgun out of Maryland, getting
caught would mean prison time. Or, to drive the extra 30 miles north
around the mountain, staying out of Maryland.

There are weird laws about casing long guns, but that isn't too bad.

PS. Our handguns are not unloaded in the car. They aren't their for
transport.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
some laws are made to be broken, don't give them a reason to pull you over.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don’t post much on 24 hr anything. You can say good morning and some [bleep] will attack you. Consequently 24hr loses a lot of good input from many good and knowledgeable people. Anyway this a true story and I’m sticking to it. Let the wanabe internet bullshit wizards start flaming.
In my wild and misspent younger days me and another outfitter buddy partied quite abit and purposefully over endulged in as much spirits and women as possible in Mexico.Nobody likes Texans but they love our money and oil technology. That’s why we’re tolerated. Or maybe it was our patriotic responsibility to sow as much diplomacy, goodwill and seeds as possible.Dirty job but someone has to do it.
Anyway, many years ago we had a helluva rough night partying in a Mexican border town. However, we did make it back to our hotel in on piece and with all belongings. Next morning the phone rings in our room. The clerk said senor you need to come down to the desk asap. I hung up on and looked out the window only to see a bunch of jeeps and Mexican soldiers. I woke my buddy and told him we were in deep chit and he needed the get up and look out the window. Slowly he did, never said a word, then proceeded to shave and shower. We finally get downstairs.
We had gotten so dunk the night before that one of us had drove our jeep up the hotel steps and lodged it in the doors of the elevator. We get downstairs only to be greeted by the cops. The Captain said we had a big problem. My buddy surveys the situation and doesn’t say a word. Then. He pulls a roll of hundred dollars bills out of his pocket. He takes a handful and stuffs them in the Captain’s shirt pocket. He tells the Captain, congratulations, you found my jeep .The Captain looks at him, looks at the jeep lodged in the elevator, and then looks at the roll of hundred dollar bills. Then he snaps his fingers, commands the soldiers and they pick up the Jeep. Then they carry it out of the hotel. The Captain tells my buddy, thank you sen’or , if you ever need anything else you just let me know. The world hates us but they love the greenback.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, akpls, 12 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.