Have a Yamaha 25 new this year, traded a 10 year old 20. No complaint

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by blairvt
spent a week in Canada this year fishing. Had a john boat and 15 HP Merc. I'd always used Yamaha's, but this Merc worked out real well. Slightest bit cold natured in the morning, but ran it 8 hours a day, flat out and trolling without a problem.

So thanks for the fish and fauna pics. frown

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I'm not sure about now, but Tahotsu's warrantee was about 2x longer than the others. IIRC, it was 4 yrs for non-commercial use and 2 yrs for commercial use. The others ranged from none to 1 year for commercial use.

My Suzuki came with a 3 year non commercial warranty when I bought it in 2019. Don’t know what they have now.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
We were looking at an old Merc 18 hp on my 16 foot Lund. No power outlets on it. Mechanic said it has just enough juice to fire the coils.

Things must have changed. It was an old motor with the blue band on the cowl.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here you go Jag. Buy a new Suzuki and this could be you.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've wondered about the 2 stroke outboards on Amazon. I'm surprised they are legal and wonder how well they work. 2 strokes are pretty simple and the Chinese predator motors at Harbor Freight are supposedly pretty good.

Amazon Link

Quando omni flunkus moritati
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
Here you go Jag. Buy a new Suzuki and this could be you.
Thems some nice Eyes.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These ones are also interesting.
https://www.cukusin.com/collections/outboard-motor

I still like 2 stroke motors but admit some of the new 4 strokes look good.

Last edited by Whiptail; 07/27/22.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
...What are the 'fire's preferences of Yamaha vs. Suzuki vs. Mercury vs. Honda?...

All of those are top rate motors. But Yamaha is in a class by itself (I've had their 3, 4, 8 and 250 hp motors). I believe Tohatsu builds the small Mercury's and Honda's.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Sounds like availability and price are the biggest variables; reliability seems to be good across the board, at least in the 4 stroke realm. There are dealers around here for all of them, so that's not much of a consideration unless you know something about their mechanics. I've seen a '17 Suzuki that's been used in salt water for a few years, don't know if that'd be an issue; I'm thinking on it.

Thanks for all of the responses.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
On the offshore fishing boats I see at work it used to be all Yamaha. On the newer ones we are seeing mostly Mercury.

D
D
I have a Suzuki DF70 on my 22' pontoon. Its EFI and is an absolute joy to own and maintain. Starts very easy and runs like a top. Will push my toon about 23mph without a load.

I change the lower unit and engine oil once a year. Both come out looking just like they did when I put them in.

I wouldn't be afraid to own another Suzuki.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 2022 60/40 Merc jet

It's nice but made in China

I had a 1988 40 Yamaha jet that was still running great when I sold it last year

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only small outboard I've ever owned is the 2012 carb'd 9.9 Yamaha kicker on my current boat. It's never failed to start, and starts easy. I pump the bulb a few times, pull the choke, press the starter, leave it choked until it "chugs" a little, then push the choke off and go. Nothing more than an oil/lower unit fluid change every spring and always run non-ethanol fuel.

I do try to run it at least 5-10min every weekend just so I don't have fuel sitting in the bowls getting "old". Use it to get back to the start of a drifting or trolling run, or pull cranks/plugs for a while. The only change I'd make if I were buying new today is I'd get a motor w/EFI instead of carbs.

Current boat has a Yamaha F-200 3.3L V-6 EFI 4-stroke and my previous boat had a Suzuki 150HP EFI 4-stroke. Based on the reliability of those 2, I'd not have any issue at all owning a smaller EFI from either manufacturer.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've wondered where/how the 4 stroke motors' oil pans are located since outboard motors are essentially on their sides compared to most other motors? Do they completely depend on an oil pump to lube the top cylinders or do they have some kind of special oil pan?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had or been around many motors I prefer the Mercury hands down
My fishing partner has Honda 90 and 9.9 kicker
They run good but not as user friendly as merc
And the 9.9 throttle lock is cheesy and never did work
Had a 25 Yamaha for a few years reliable and powerful never liked the side shift and it was a gas hog

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yamaha because of all the a’s in the name

That’s all they run down in Mexico, dive boats, fishing, etc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 4-stroke Tohatsus I've used have been okay. No problems, but some minor details could be better. Currently running a Yamaha 4-stroke 6hp on the 15' inflatable and the 20' sailboat, and have zero complaints with it. I don't understand people having problems with carb'd 4 strokes. Sounds like a gas/maintenance issue. One thing I like about the Yamaha 6hp (and the Suzuki equivalent) is the option of using external fuel tank or the internal fuel tank.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy of mine calls Mercs welfare motors because they only work a few days each month

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The 4-stroke Tohatsus I've used have been okay. No problems, but some minor details could be better. Currently running a Yamaha 4-stroke 6hp on the 15' inflatable and the 20' sailboat, and have zero complaints with it. I don't understand people having problems with carb'd 4 strokes. Sounds like a gas/maintenance issue. One thing I like about the Yamaha 6hp (and the Suzuki equivalent) is the option of using external fuel tank or the internal fuel tank.
I don’t think 20 years ago we would have been talking about carbed 4 strokes having issues. But today’s gasoline is such a crap shoot. Even the supposed non ethanol stuff still can have traces of the corn squeezing in it.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (2ndwind, 264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 25 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,362
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.