Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
When was the last time the Marines fought anyone with a pulse?

When was the last time they failed to take an objective they were given? A military one, not counting a sustained occupation.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
When was the last time the Marines fought anyone with a pulse?

When was the last time they failed to take an objective they were given? A military one, not counting a sustained occupation.

When was the last time they executed a combined arms operation against someone with a pulse?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
lol. when was the last time the US won a war and fought a country with an actual army, Air Force, navy, air defence, drones, submarines, hyper sonic missiles?

How many times were drones used to guide artillery and rockets against marines in Iraq , syria, Yemen and Afghanistan? Did the marines dig super fortified bunkers and fight from them due to heavy artillery ( thousands of rounds a day) like in Ukraine? ? How many times were HIMARS rockets, hyper sonic missiles used against marines by Iraqis and Afghanis? ? How many thousands of cluster bombs were dropped on marines in Iraq and Afghanistan every week?

Originally Posted by Tyrone
None of that seems to be stopping Russia. It surprises me that you don't understand how artillery is used to soften defenses before infantry assaults. The same tactics have been used throughout the history of modern warfare. Artillery really is the king of battle. I'd hate to be a grunt under your command.

How do you suggest fixed, fortified defenses be assaulted? Send men into the grinder?

Compare Russian tactical offensive doctrine (or lack thereof) and capabilities to the far-superior doctrines, capabilities, and training of the U.S. Marine Corps in assaulting established infantry positions with anti-armor infantry weapons. Vehicle-bound units can effectively fight enemy armor without infantry support. But, defeating infantry with anti-armor capabilities (as with the Ukrainian forces), requires integrated tactical operations, based on extensive training, by a combined-arms force, involving well coordinated actions by armor and supporting infantry, which can be further improved by the competent coordinated use of close air support and artillery when available. This is totally lacking by the current Russian forces and actions in Ukraine and largely accounts for their failure to take a fraction of the ground they assumed they would have at the onset of the war. By way of one example, this combined-arms tactical doctrine has been mastered and used to great effect by the U.S. Marine Corps. It involves a well-coordinated lightning-fast employment and projection of violence from numerous directions and assets, which causes immediate chaos in the opposing infantry formations and a rapid decline in enemy command and control capabilities and morale. By contrast, the Russians seem to have naively believed that they could simply drive their forces into and through Ukraine with the optically-apparent omnipotence of their large inventory of powerful tanks and other armored vehicles. They just got blown up in their vehicles. That’s why they’re not in Kiev now.

Last edited by ribka; 07/28/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
By way of one example, this combined-arms tactical doctrine has been mastered and used to great effect by the U.S. Marine Corps.
Haven't y'all been chased out of every country you've invaded since North Korea? By stone age enemy? Maybe with the exception of Grenada?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hastings
By way of one example, this combined-arms tactical doctrine has been mastered and used to great effect by the U.S. Marine Corps.
Haven't y'all been chased out of every country you've invaded since North Korea? By stone age enemy? Maybe with the exception of Grenada?

Did you forget about Operation Desert Storm? That was a strategic masterpiece demonstrating American military might if there ever was one. Mentioning it in the same post as the big screwup in Ukraine is almost sacrilege, especially as it is pretty obvious that the "special operation" was clearly intended as a sort of Discount Desert Storm if you will.

Anyways, Ukraine in itsself doesn't really interest me, it's not any less corrupt and run by oligarchs than Russia. However, I cannot stomach seeing a European country being overrun by the russian mongol horde under the guise of "antifascism" and "denazification" (gee, I wonder who uses these terms in our countries...). Things like the relocation of the Ukrainian population in occupied territories as well as the whole DPR/LPR conscript armies' existence show that russian ideology has not changed one bit since they flew the soviet flag (heck, they still frequently fly the soviet flag).

Another issue I have with the article in the OP is the mentality that the whole world revolves around the United States and especially it's president, which just isn't true. NATO and the US threatening Russia is a thinly veiled excuse for invading a country's most resource rich areas - look it up, eastern Ukraine has a lot of gas and oil. A missile from Latvia would reach moscow just as fast as a missile from Ukraine. But of course some peoples are so divided, that a few people will believe foreign propaganda without question because they oppose their current government. The russians know this and have used it to effectively play both sides of the political spectrum. Just look at the American c*mmunists who readily applaud russia and are quick to condemn the empire of evil that is NATO.

Let's not kid ourselves, however. If this turns into a year long war of attrition, the Ukies will run out of resources and personnel and no amount of online virtue signalling will change that.

[Linked Image from desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz]

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Boomer454

Did you forget about Operation Desert Storm? That was a strategic masterpiece demonstrating American military might if there ever was one. Mentioning it in the same post as the big screwup in Ukraine is almost sacrilege, especially as it is pretty obvious that the "special operation" was clearly intended as a sort of Discount Desert Storm if you will.

Anyways, Ukraine in itsself doesn't really interest me, it's not any less corrupt and run by oligarchs than Russia. However, I cannot stomach seeing a European country being overrun by the russian mongol horde under the guise of "antifascism" and "denazification" (gee, I wonder who uses these terms in our countries...). Things like the relocation of the Ukrainian population in occupied territories as well as the whole DPR/LPR conscript armies' existence show that russian ideology has not changed one bit since they flew the soviet flag (heck, they still frequently fly the soviet flag).

Another issue I have with the article in the OP is the mentality that the whole world revolves around the United States and especially it's president, which just isn't true. NATO and the US threatening Russia is a thinly veiled excuse for invading a country's most resource rich areas - look it up, eastern Ukraine has a lot of gas and oil. A missile from Latvia would reach moscow just as fast as a missile from Ukraine. But of course some peoples are so divided, that a few people will believe foreign propaganda without question because they oppose their current government. The russians know this and have used it to effectively play both sides of the political spectrum. Just look at the American c*mmunists who readily applaud russia and are quick to condemn the empire of evil that is NATO.

Let's not kid ourselves, however. If this turns into a year long war of attrition, the Ukies will run out of resources and personnel and no amount of online virtue signalling will change that.

Desert Storm? You mean that war where the enemy was surrendering to news helicopters?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Desert Storm? You mean that war where the enemy was surrendering to news helicopters?
That's the ideal outcome when aircraft and cruise missiles do their job right. And this was clearly the intention when invading Ukraine - they expected to be welcomed with open arms while the Ukie army collapses. This doesn't happen when certain people or certain weapons do not do their job, though.

Don't tread on me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
That's the ideal outcome when aircraft and cruise missiles do their job right. And this was clearly the intention when invading Ukraine - they expected to be welcomed with open arms while the Ukie army collapses. This doesn't happen when certain people or certain weapons do not do their job, though.

I must have missed the month long air campaign taking out infrastructure, both military and civilian, and defensive positions staged by the Russians before they crossed the DL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The South trying to leave the union [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We've had many months to see a campaign like that, haven't we? Yet despite the Ukrainian airforce being destroyed in the first hours of the conflict, they keep flying sorties.

Anyways I think we are straying a little from the original point - that being that the Gulf War was a very well executed conflict with an initial situation comparable to that of the Ukraine conflict.

Don't tread on me

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
We've had many months to see a campaign like that, haven't we? Yet despite the Ukrainian airforce being destroyed in the first hours of the conflict, they keep flying sorties.

Anyways I think we are straying a little from the original point - that being that the Gulf War was a very well executed conflict with an initial situation comparable to that of the Ukraine conflict.

Lol…the Russians my have been pretty damned impressive too…31 YEARS AGO!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did you forget about Operation Desert Storm?
No, I did not forget. Nothing of value to this country was accomplished there and the strongman was left in power.

I have doubts this country could defeat Mexico as it stands now. So Grenada still stands as our only victory in decades. That is if it didn't go communist anyway.

Now we owe trillions to the central banks and the Mideast and Europe are still fighting, China is communist, India, and Pakistan don't like us.

But I guess Iraq was pushed out of Kuwait for what benefit to us I cannot see.

Oh, by the way, Vietnam is still communist, and we haven't paid for that fiasco or the interest on it yet.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

desert storm was based on on lie just like the second time the US invaded Iraq based on fake wmd's. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan trains and sponsors terrorists the us and we attack a backward third world Afghanistan and of course lost that war. And we give billions in aid to terrorist sponsoring nations every year.

lol. what are you talking about? Ukraine amassed an army of 180,000 in Eastern Ukraine in January this year

comparing the third world camel based Iraq military capabilities vs Russia? How many nuclear subs does Iraq have? ada batteries? planes? drones? military satellites? nuclear weapons? tanks? howitzers? lol

US has invaded Iraq two times, killed over 500,000 civilians, spent billions still and lost . Losing and wounding thousands of American soldiers, 1/2 million dead civilians and spending billions of dollars a victory is funny.

Last edited by ribka; 07/28/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ribka

desert storm was based on on lie just like the second time the US invaded Iraq based on fake wmd's. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan trains and sponsors terrorists the us and we attack a backward third world Afghanistan and of course lost that war. And we give billions in aid to terrorist sponsoring nations every year.

lol. what are you talking about? Ukraine amassed an army of 180,000 in Eastern Ukraine in January this year

comparing the third world camel based Iraq military capabilities vs Russia? How many nuclear subs does Iraq have? ada batteries? planes? drones? military satellites? nuclear weapons? tanks? howitzers? lol

US has invaded Iraq two times, killed over 500,000 civilians, spent billions still and lost . Losing and wounding thousands of American soldiers, 1/2 million dead civilians and spending billions of dollars a victory is funny.

Did you somehow miss that in this analogy, the Ukes are the Iraqis?

Did you forget about Operation Desert Storm?
No, I did not forget. Nothing of value to this country was accomplished there and the strongman was left in power.

I have doubts this country could defeat Mexico as it stands now. So Grenada still stands as our only victory in decades. That is if it didn't go communist anyway.

Now we owe trillions to the central banks and the Mideast and Europe are still fighting, China is communist, India, and Pakistan don't like us.

But I guess Iraq was pushed out of Kuwait for what benefit to us I cannot see.

Oh, by the way, Vietnam is still communist, and we haven't paid for that fiasco or the interest on it yet.

This is a political issue, though. The - and I quote - "combined-arms tactical doctrine" (which the post you quoted in the first place mentioned) showed itsself to be quite successful in the first Gulf War.

Don't tread on me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What did Putin/Russia ask for in February - assurance that Ukraine would not be allowed to join NATO and that the Ukrainian government abide by the Minsk accords and stop fighting a war against their own Russian-speaking people in eastern UKraine.

The US chose war over diplomacy. In the end, Ukraine will be a lot smaller, probably less free, with a wrecked economy and destroyed infrastructure. Which, by the way, the US taxpayer will pay billions and billions and billions to rebuild.

And there will be a whole lot of dead men and boys, widows, orphans, and crying mothers. Many of them Christian.

We will have alienated Russia totally, and probably set back their development and assimilation by two generations.

Do you honestly believe they want a new Soviet Union? They wanted security, time, access to their only warm water port.

Am I defending their actions? No, but there was a better way forward. And we refused to look for it.

We have subjected our (silly, crazy, weak, old and green obsessed) European friends to great risk. Just wait until this winter when there is no natural gas in Berlin. How do you fight a war against the people who keep you warm in the winter?

But the absolute stupidest thing about all of this is the extraordinary strategic depth we have given the Chinese by chasing Russia into their arms. Because I tell you what - Russia may not want to take over the world, but China does. F’n imbecile Uktards, liberals, and neocons.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
By the way, if you think the US is on the “right side” of this, you agree with Joe Biden. That should tell you something.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As long as I’m on my tirade here - I’ll give you another one.

Europe is your dad’s old army buddy. Heck of a good guy, but he is kinda losing it in his old age. Even worse, he has a daughter that is friends with your sister, California. Now your sister is one crazy, left-wing b***h. But Europe’s daughter is that x3. And she moved home with daddy and her Muslim boyfriend.

So you better watch out how much trust you put in that household, dad’s old army buddy or not.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Russia has lost just 1500 tanks in 6 months... their newest tanks. Not the T-64s they are shipping in from storage now.
40.000 killed soldiers and 2-3 times as many WIA.
They sent in 85% of their military capacity into Ukraine. The rest are border guards and desk jockeys.
They don't fly into Ukraine airspace, because so much of their planes and helicopters are being shot down by their own AAs... when they are not shot down by Ukraine AA.

Now they have trapped 15-25.000 Russian troops in Kherson, with no way to cross the Dniper river..

Quite a lot of people here really buy into the Kremlin propaganda... really sad.
Either they are just very very gullible... or, maybe has russian heritage.

Every morning I wake up, read on reddit another 1-200 Russian soldiers and a few high ranking officers killed in another Himars strike.
Sip my coffee and happy there are less and less Russians in the world.

Now both House and Senate are pushing for classifying Russia as a State Sponsor of Terrorism.
Major assets are going to be seized, any companies still doing business there will flee or face sanctions and probably loose access to US markets.
No Visas, Hopefully any Russians in the US will lose their citizenship, Ukraine can sue for reparations and anything seized in the US will be sold and given to Ukraine.

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Northman
Russia has lost just 1500 tanks in 6 months... their newest tanks. Not the T-64s they are shipping in from storage now.
They sent in 85% of their military capacity into Ukraine. The rest are border guards and desk jockeys.
They don't fly into Ukraine airspace, because so much of their planes and helicopters are being shot down by their own AAs... when they are not shot down by Ukraine AA.

Now they have trapped 15-25.000 Russian troops in Kherson, with no way to cross the Dniper river..

Quite a lot of people here really buy into the Kremlin propaganda... really sad.

Every morning I wake up, read on reddit another 1-200 Russian soldiers and a few high ranking officers killed in another Himars strike.

Now both House and Senate are pushing for classifying Russia as a State Sponsor of Terrorism.
Major assets are going to be seized, any companies still doing business there will flee or face sanctions and probably loose access to US markets.
No Visas, Hopefully any Russians in the US will lose their citizenship, Ukraine can sue for reparations and anything seized in the US will be sold and given to Ukraine.

Get your news from Reddit?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quoted for posterity, even though on the day it was typed there was already a lot wrong about it.
Originally Posted by Northman

No Visas, Hopefully any Russians in the US will lose their citizenship, Ukraine can sue for reparations and anything seized in the US will be sold and given to Ukraine..

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 39 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,571
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.