M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Because that's their choice. Did you read the part about never losing a package? WTF would I pay for it? If something got lost, I'd make it right, but I'm not giving the shipper anymore money than I have to. The odds are in my favor.

If the buyer feels more comfortable having the package insured, they can pay for it.
If the package is lost due to no fault of the seller, your premise seems to dictate the it's solely a loss on the seller to remedy, period. If you wish to cover it when you are the seller, so be it. Do you expect the same from others?

Just killing time. No big deal.

If you bought a $1000 scope from Doug and it was lost, you'd just say "Oh well".
If a business asks if you want to pay extra for insurance, are they implying you're on your own if something goes awry? It's been a while since I've ordered anything from Camera Land but if I remember correctly, I was asked that. I'm not suggesting Camera Land wouldn't make it right if I hadn't.
I would assume, if seller offered insurance and it was declined by the buyer, then indeed the buyer is on their own. Simple deduction.

One thing is fairly certain, a common carrier doesn't GAF about your one item.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 160user
I refuse to ship anything of value without insurance any more. The question arose today on who is responsible for the insurance and/or claim. I would like to hear some different perspectives and logics.
I am of the opinion that if I sell someone something it is my responsibility to get them what they paid for. I always include the insurance and it is figured into my asking price. I have had one lost package and one heavily damaged package over the years. Because I am of the opinion I didn't deliver what they bought I refunded the money or paid for the repairs and settled (eventually) with UPS.
Others are of the opinion that once they drop the package off they have met their obligations and if the packages comes up missing or damaged the buyer is responsible to settle the claim and because the seller has no control over what happens in shipping they have met their obligation. Lets hear some opinions on the topic.

I concur.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Because that's their choice. Did you read the part about never losing a package? WTF would I pay for it? If something got lost, I'd make it right, but I'm not giving the shipper anymore money than I have to. The odds are in my favor.

If the buyer feels more comfortable having the package insured, they can pay for it.
If the package is lost due to no fault of the seller, your premise seems to dictate the it's solely a loss on the seller to remedy, period. If you wish to cover it when you are the seller, so be it. Do you expect the same from others?

Just killing time. No big deal.

If you bought a $1000 scope from Doug and it was lost, you'd just say "Oh well".
If a business asks if you want to pay extra for insurance, are they implying you're on your own if something goes awry? It's been a while since I've ordered anything from Camera Land but if I remember correctly, I was asked that. I'm not suggesting Camera Land wouldn't make it right if I hadn't.
I would assume, if seller offered insurance and it was declined by the buyer, then indeed the buyer is on their own. Simple deduction.

One thing is fairly certain, a common carrier doesn't GAF about your one item.
Thanks for completing my thought. That's what I meant...seller offers it at buyer's expense, and buyer denies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by VinceM
I ship many knives ,obviously . On my website it clearly states my terms ,that is ,if you want insurance on your shipment ,ask for it ,and there is an extra cost . I state I will reimburse the funds they pay out,when they pay out . And I state it that way because the USPS is notorious for not paying out.
My take on this is ,I own a knife ,you buy it ,now you own it . I hand it to another outfit to ship it . If they screw up,why am I responsible ? Tell me what big firm assumes the responsibility of another firm's negligence ? Sorry I can't do it . Now with all this said I have a very successful delivery rate.

My only personal experience is with Amazon. They paid, no questions asked. I think maybe Cabela's did as well, but can't remember for sure. My internet search indicates the seller is generally responsible for lost or damaged items.

It is my OPNION that the seller hasn't completed the transaction until it is delivered to the buyer and meets their satisfaction. If I buy a rifle and it has a big gouge in the wood how do I know it happened in transit and that it wasn't there before it was ever boxed up? I find it interesting the differences in perspectives on this.

Caveat Emptor, don't buy anything from someone who you don't trust.

I charge whatever the actual shipping cost is, including insurance. If the buyer doesn't want insurance I'll ask him/her to put that in an emai or PM. If something is damaged during shipping I'll do everything that I can do to help the buyer, but filing an insurance claim may require a hands on inspection of the damaged item and the original packing, so that is only practical if done at the receiving dealer's end.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's the seller's job, and risk, ta get it to the buyer.

If the seller decides ta cheap out on the risk.....

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.