Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mom's red enchiladas were the best....

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fried chicken like my grandmother and Aunt Grace used to make. My wife is a great cook, but she can't fry chicken like they did. But, to be fair, it may have a lot to do with the chicken. We ate a lot of soup beans and cornbread, and that's good stuff. My Granny made a brown bread that she cooked in the metal Calumet baking soda cans, and served it with a sweet sauce. I could literally eat my weight in that stuff.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One of my favorite meals when I was a kid was fat back, pinto beans, and cold slaw.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grandma's fried chicken and tater cakes. Mom's fried pork steaks, fried taters and onions, chuck roast with carrots and taters, white beans and cornbread.......
Can close my eyes and still smell it all cooking .... Great memories.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting thread - I had never really thought about the topic, and now that I have, I don't really remember any specific dishes from home. We ate well, and I enjoyed what we had, but there isn't anything that stands out. I do remember the chili dogs from A & Root back when they were made with real hot dogs and the orange chili instead of the red chili that they use now.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought some orange cream, ice cream bars a few days ago.

Sure brought back memories.

Used to get them at the snack bar when I was in Jr. High in the 60's

10 cents back then.

Virgil B.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I suspect my father never married my mother for her cooking...some things are best forgotten. For his sake I sure hope the wifing was better than the cooking.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
My grand dad was a cheap ass

Instead of ice cream, he got that Ice Milk bullshiiet. $2 for a drum.

Crunchy crap with a near sour milk taste.

My mom used to buy that in a square box. Neapolitan flavor. Slice it off instead of dipping it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mom and Grandmother used to bake Polish items for Christmas. Those kolaczki's don't resemble what folks call them today. Were what we kids called bow-ties. There were some other stuff I never cared for all that much. Same with Golabki ( though I remember calling it something else) - a cabbage filled with meat and rice..... meh...

Mom did make a mean chicken noodle soup. I will make it for the wife, noodles and all, especially when she isn't feeling good but I don't have mom's recipe and cannot duplicate the same unique taste of hers.

When kids we ate on the cheap. Fried bologna and plain elbow noodles- sometimes added Ketchup. Flavorless as heck but with six kids.....

Two 'flavors' I will never get back . First sip of beer while fishing with Dad ...and that marvelous hoppy foamy taste-...don't tell your mother..... and the other is smell of uncle's pipe tobacco. I tried a pipe a few times thinking I could relive that smell-taste- never worked for me.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Grandma's hamburger steak and gravy.

Fried okra that Mom made. When I was about three I'd help her choose the ones we'd eat that day.

Manuel's hot tamales when we visited my great aunt in New Orleans, or the chop suey she'd make for us.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Fried perch or walleye with ‘tartar sauce’ made from miracle whip and pickle relish, creamed morels on toast, venison loins pan fried with onion and bacon. All things mom excelled at. Typical lunch was fried bologna with ketchup.

Old70

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
School pizza! Although ours didn't have oregano on it like in this pic. Gertrude and MayBelle back there in the kitchen had never heard of oregano.

Ours usually came with corn, or canned tomatoes (gag), or carrot sticks (double gag). Compared to the rest of the glop they served, the pizza was a gourmet meal.

[Linked Image from plainchicken.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. 1970s school pizza was awesome:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We loved third grade school pizza. The lunch ladies did a pretty damn good gumbo too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. 1970s school pizza was awesome:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We had pizza on a bun..

Always the day after sloppy Joe's.

Dab of SJ mix on a bun half, slice of cheese and baked.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watercress from a crick, dandelion, endive, or just tough leaf lettuce, with
Hot Bacon Dressing. Mashed potatoes, ham or deer steak.

Common in my childhood.

Wife learned to make it, sh and kids love it as much as I do.

Gravy bites, (gravy and bread) common as a kid in tough times.
Thought everyone ate it.
Don't miss that.

Love a hot roast beef though (can afford meat now)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Zuchini and yellow straight neck squash are getting big enough to harvest. My wife cooked our favorite summer dish last night.

Slice a squash of either type, (or one of each) into 1/4 inch slices. Salt lightly to draw out water. A soon as the slices begin to sweat, drag them through a plate of flour and coat each side. Then drop into a skillet with 1/4 inch oil and fry both sides until golden brown.

My grandmother used the zucchini and summer squash, but a simpler preparation where she just sautéed the moons or discs of them
with some roughly chunked, super ripe, garden tomatoes of whichever variety, smashed garlic clove, a little good olive oil, salt n peppah. Maybe some basil at the end from the garden. A little fresh oregano or dried iieu of. Not too wet and sloppy, but just soft and saucy enough from the vegetables juices. Quick preparation. Not simmering down on the stove for more than 10 minutes. I still love that. If the fresh tomatoes were out of season or unavailable, she would do same with some canned San Marzano whole tomatoes, coarsely broken in her fingers and then drained a bit through a sieve.

Favorite side dish in summer next to anything. But best in a small bowl, what she called a ‘monkey dish’ lol. So the juices don’t go all running into whatever else. Unless there’s rice or polenta on the plate as well.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 08/02/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The there’s stuffed, fried Zuchini Blossoms/flowers. But that was not an everyday kind of thing.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This will probably sound weird. My sister & I would peel a raw potato, drop it in a glass of water and then refrigerate. After it was chilled, we’d slice it, add salt, and eat them like french fries.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
My wife cuts zucchini and squash into strips, drizzles a little olive oil on em, gives em a good shake of sea salt and crushed red pepper, and sprinkles parmesan cheese on them. Then she roasts the strips in the oven. Delicious.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 270cowboy, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,710
Posts18,475,395
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.