Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I appreciate the advice VERY much.
I think I will head for the ER, I fear I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
I believe I will sell all my stuff to raise the cash to start over someplace else.
I don't have many years left and I'll be dammed if I'm going to spend them in misery at the hands of another abusive person.
My kids come first. I'd fix that issue right now. My grandkids are the most important people in my life. I treasure every minute with them. Have you connected with them lately ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was once told that God keeps us here for only one or two reasons:

1.- There is something more for you to learn.

2. - There is something more for you to do.

So….these questions can be put to me, to someone else ……or to you…..

What is the “something more?”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
When i was much younger i went through a faze of not knowing what to do and not much friends around. I travelled a lot and met new people and life just kicked off from there. its never too late to take risks.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
A few things besides meds that I find can help.

1. Get some good sleep at night. You may need checked for apnea. Get your thyroid and testosterone checked too.

2. Get outside for at least 20 minutes a day.

3. Take a vitamin D supplement.

4. Force yourself to go do something you used to enjoy once a week. I'm bad at this one.

5. Find some social interaction, this one's tough when In feeling down because I feel like a say negative stuff to people and and up feeling worse. Sometimes just a brief casual talk with a stranger is more helpful than getting way into the weeds with someone you know.

6. Write down some small goals and after achieving them write down a little bigger one. Don't over do it, little victories.

7. Try to eat 3 fruits and 3 serving of vegetables a day. I did 4 fruits and 5 of vegetables for a while years ago and after 3 months I'd never felt better. I hstill have a really hard time doing this one. It takes effort and planning but it keeps you from eating other junk. I try to get 80 grams of protein a day too. I've lost 70 pounds since December but I've yo-yo'd a bit.

8. Make a written budget. It can be depressing when finances are bad but is the first step to getting control of your finances. It won't be perfect, they never are, but it will help you to prioritize. Finances can be turned around and it's a great feeling to be debt free. I was in massive debt after grad school and it took a while but I'm debt free now including our home. It has been a blessing to not have that stress on top of other stressors I'm dealing with.

9. Recognize and avoid self destructive behavior. It makes it worse later every time. I struggle when I'm down with doing stupid stuff on an impulse I wouldn't normally do.

10. Give it a little time and realize your not alone a lot of people struggle with depression and there's definitely a physiological component too it. Like diabetes when you manage it well you can do pretty well.

This list is mostly for me but I thought I'd share. I need to get doing these things again.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 07/31/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dutch
Let me say this:

Happy pills are a good place to start. There are many of them, and a LOT of them are cheap. DON'T wait in the VA or any other one "free" outfit. Even if money is tight, go pick up aluminum cans so you can pay a doc for a visit. Lots or "telehealth" options out there for a modest fee. As far as cost of prescription, many anti depressants are dirt cheap. Tryciclics are quite effective, but have fallen out of favor due to toxicity concerns for large doses (kids getting into them) and the fact the patents are long expired and no one is marketing them. But the cheap ones work just fine.

Once you are out from under the black cloud you're under, you can start making rational choices.

I will also say this: If you have poor relationships with people close to you...... what do those relationships have in common? Once you're out of the depression, you can start working to try to repair those relationships.
There are no such thing as happy pills.There are uppers and downers.The VA will fill you with all the downers you want.They will not make you happy.They will turn you into a slug.The best thing you can do is get your self right with your Creator.All is possible when you take that step.I used to feel sorry for myself and have learned my problems are nothing compared to others.Volunteer at your VA .That was a big learning experience for me.try to do something nice for someone else every day.The pay back is astounding.I will pray for you my Brother,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I appreciate the advice VERY much.
I think I will head for the ER, I fear I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
I believe I will sell all my stuff to raise the cash to start over someplace else.
I don't have many years left and I'll be dammed if I'm going to spend them in misery at the hands of another abusive person.
My kids come first. I'd fix that issue right now. My grandkids are the most important people in my life. I treasure every minute with them. Have you connected with them lately ?

kwg

This^^^^^

FJB & FJT
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Huntz
Let me say this:

Happy pills are a good place to start. There are many of them, and a LOT of them are cheap. DON'T wait in the VA or any other one "free" outfit. Even if money is tight, go pick up aluminum cans so you can pay a doc for a visit. Lots or "telehealth" options out there for a modest fee. As far as cost of prescription, many anti depressants are dirt cheap. Tryciclics are quite effective, but have fallen out of favor due to toxicity concerns for large doses (kids getting into them) and the fact the patents are long expired and no one is marketing them. But the cheap ones work just fine.

Once you are out from under the black cloud you're under, you can start making rational choices.

I will also say this: If you have poor relationships with people close to you...... what do those relationships have in common? Once you're out of the depression, you can start working to try to repair those relationships.
There are no such thing as happy pills.There are uppers and downers.

Not true. Antidepressants are neither "uppers" nor "downers" and need not 'turn one into a slug.' They can be a huge help.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by plumbum
Let me say this:

Not true. Antidepressants are neither "uppers" nor "downers" and need not 'turn one into a slug.' They can be a huge help.
Really,well do you have any expereience with how the VA medicates vets?I do
What Are Downers?

On the opposite end of the drug side effect spectrum are downers. This slang term refers to CNS depressants, the types of drug that produce a sedative effect by slowing down the messages sent and received between the central nervous system and brain. They make the individual feel relaxed or drowsy and are often highly effective at minimizing feelings of pain. The natural opposites of uppers, downers decrease alertness and focus.

Legal sedatives are helpful in managing anxiety, epilepsy, and insomnia, but are dangerous when abused. Illegal sedatives such as narcotics, are never safe to abuse in any amount, and are notorious for being highly addictive.

Depressants slow central nervous system functions, such as breathing and heart rate. This can cause dangerously low oxygen levels in the body and result in a coma. Lack of oxygen is the biggest risk of abusing downers. When too great of a dose is taken, possible outcomes include overdose and death.
Examples of Downers

Alcohol
Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Halcion, and Librium)They hand this chit out like candy!!
Barbiturates (Amytal, Numbutal, and Seconal)
Heroin
Fentanyl
Prescription painkillers

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Chemicals are powerful things, good, and bad.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Timely spot and place here to watch the Toby Keith/Clint Eastwood video,

“Don’t let the old man in”

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Start an Only Fans.

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm so very sorry and shocked for the ER situation you've encountered. Unbelievable and cruel. Here, in the State we hate for gun controls, California, about the opposite healthcare conditions. My in-laws, husband 86 and wife 80, "sheltering" with us from Ukraine. Their City rocketed and their national health system in shambles. Here, great ER care, him with blood & urine labs, Cat Scan, no insurance, no problem! Now, H&W both qualified for State health insurance. No cost & zero deductible! Generally, in life, "balance in all things". Fortunate to be living here.

There, sounds like you need an "advocacy program" formal or compassionate friend of strong will!. If VA isn't there for you as I understand often not, there must be social services there somewhere locally! Sounds like ultimately as your now speaking of, you need and perhaps can well be, a strong advocate for yourself.

I'd still recommend that national "811" hotline. Offered as "no harm, no foul. You don't know what's available until you reach out and "TRY"!

God Bless!
John

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A lot of good advice offered.

On the topic of medications and costs associated with this issue I will add that most counties have providers that are low to no cost and are not inundated with so many appointments that you can’t get seen in a timely fashion. Mental health is not something that can wait…..nor should it.

God bless!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
There's been some good advice. Burleyboy has given you some good solid things to do and that's important.

What impressed me the most about your situation is how easily it was for you to list all the negative things going on in your life. Truth of the matter it was easy because you are so focused on negative things. It's no wonder you've lost hope. What I would like to see from you is what you have going for you. Where your focus is there will your heart be. Negative focus los of energy and ready to quit. Focus on the positive and you will find more positive and you will find yourself getting better direction and feeling better about yourself.

Most depressed people, do things depressed people do. They have trouble sleeping so they stay up half the night watching tv. Quit doing that. Go to bed at a regular time, get up at a regular time. Get out and get some exercise, even if it's just a long walk. You have already been given the idea about eating properly. Look for the positive in people including this woman you are with. Again focus on the negative and that's all you will see. Look for the positive, recognize it, mention it, appreciate it and she may become a different woman.

What was your plan for retirement? What money do you have. Make a list of things that will get you through. Be thankful for what you do have. Being thankful goes a long way.

Start setting goals for yourself. Where there is no vision, the people parish.
Are you in debt? Work on that in relationship to the budget Burleyboy mentioned. The fewer dollars that goes out for bills the more you have for your immediate needs. Keep moving forward.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alvah,

I hope you're doing better.

I'd suggest a trip to the desert if you're near enough to one. When I lived back East, that was one of the things I missed the most. When I needed away from people the nearest desert was 2000 miles or so away.

There's a reason those dudes in the old books went to the desert to clear their minds..............................it works.

See my signature line. Just dismiss that last line. It's not pertinent for you.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/01/22.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by plumbum
Let me say this:

Really,well do you have any expereience with how the VA medicates vets?I do
What Are Downers?

On the opposite end of the drug side effect spectrum are downers. This slang term refers to CNS depressants, the types of drug that produce a sedative effect by slowing down the messages sent and received between the central nervous system and brain. They make the individual feel relaxed or drowsy and are often highly effective at minimizing feelings of pain. The natural opposites of uppers, downers decrease alertness and focus.

Legal sedatives are helpful in managing anxiety, epilepsy, and insomnia, but are dangerous when abused. Illegal sedatives such as narcotics, are never safe to abuse in any amount, and are notorious for being highly addictive.

Depressants slow central nervous system functions, such as breathing and heart rate. This can cause dangerously low oxygen levels in the body and result in a coma. Lack of oxygen is the biggest risk of abusing downers. When too great of a dose is taken, possible outcomes include overdose and death.
Examples of Downers

Alcohol
Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Halcion, and Librium)They hand this chit out like candy!!
Barbiturates (Amytal, Numbutal, and Seconal)
Heroin
Fentanyl
Prescription painkillers

You completely avoided antidepressants, which are neither 'uppers' nor 'downers.'

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can they the VA offer you services in another state? Is that an option? Some VAs do not have the resources for mental health. Denver Colorado and Wyoming both deal and have programs for mental health. Depending on your VA status they will cover most or all charges for you to get you to a program/treatment. The problem with the VA is who you talk too and how competent and motivated they are! Keep on them! You can PM me and I can try to find you a patient advocate number or social worker that can help with the leg work on navigating the VA.

Last edited by Esox357; 08/02/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Alvah,

Sir, I truly hope you're doing better. Life sure can give us a can of worms at times. Sometimes we have to roll with the punches, or stop that train you're riding on, back it up and change tracks for a better place, for you at this time.

I want you to do things that will help you. If you are so dragged down, you might need some medical help. It might be a good idea to see a Dr. tomorrow, get yourself to an ER. People will want to help you, the same as people here at the Campfire want you to have a peace about yourself. I think you want help, thus, this thread.

Wishing you all the best. Prayers going up for you now.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The answer is simple, yet is cloaked in all the modern feel good remedies pushed by the Godless.

One word-

thankfulness

If you dwell on whatever you have to be thankful for, you will retrain your mind away from the negativity and defeatism. It's impossible to remain ungrateful when you are thankful.

Says the whiniest kghunt on the internet.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Stop getting married. See how it goes from there. Go outside and walk for 10 minutes. It's time for you to think only of yourself for once in your life. You obviously know what it takes to get straight. You were able to out your kids on that path.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.