I like my coffee like I like my woman’s
Weak and Bitter

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Ole Red Steagall , C&W Artist, who’s big hit in the 1970’s was “Lone Star Beer & Bob Wills Music”
And noted Cowboy Poet, Author, and Radio & TV Show host, used to end all of programs with the quote:
“Well Boys, Looks Like We’ve Got This One Sausered & Blowed”

First thing I thought of.

Haven’t listened to his show in a year or so.

Yep. Me too. One of my favorite Cowboy Poets.

Went to a lot of Rodeos when I was young and danced the night away to Red Steagall and his Coleman County Cowboy Band, at the dances after the rodeo’s were over.
Kid I grew up with played lead guitar for Red’s band when I was in College. Got to see them perform for free at Billy Bob’s in the Ft Worth Stockyards several times in the 80’s. Heck of a good band too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Never saw anyone anywhere drink coffee like that.
Guess I'm not from polite society.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maternal Grand-mother and her clan.
Had to spend a lot of time with them as a kid, they had me doing
it for awhile. Mom stopped that quick!

Wasn't any drinking from a bowl or mixing of food at Mom's table.
Pap was half English/Swede, impeccable table manners and taught
his kids. His wife's family were feral, and Gram seemed to prefer
that life.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My granddad did, and I tried it a few times, not for me.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I don’t even know what that means……

Thank you! I thought I was the only one.

Me either. I guess that is why back in the day you would be served coffee with a cup and saucer. Everyone drinks coffee out of big mugs these days.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I don’t even know what that means……

Thank you! I thought I was the only one.

Me either. I guess that is why back in the day you would be served coffee with a cup and saucer. Everyone drinks coffee out of big mugs these days.

Yeah, who uses a saucer? I know we have some, someplace, but the only time they see the outside of a cabinet might be at Christmas, for company. A cup that fits on a saucer won’t hold enough coffee to suit me, and lets the coffee get cold way too fast.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I ask my wife to fetch me some more coffee, sometimes she comes back with “do you want it saucered and blowed” or some such smart asset comment. When you’re the Kang, you don’t cotton to such schit.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Never heard of it before yesterday evening. My 85 year old MIL said her uncle used to drink his coffee from a saucer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing worse than cold coffee! sick

Saucering it would just speed that up.

I use an insulated stainless steel mug as it is.... If they came with a built in heater, I'd buy one! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grandma hit the boards at 3:30 to have coffee on by 4:15 before the men went out to milk. Had that big ol' percolator on the front "eye", she would pour it direct into the saucer as she plodded about in her apron to make the sourdough biscuits, country ham, eggs and sausage (you could smell the biscuits from the barn). By the time you had the cans rolled to the pickup point it was on the table. Grandpa drank his straight from the cup.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Coffee sucks!

So does Beretta!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never heard of that, I always assumed the saucer was used as a coaster.
Things you learn at the campfire, Interesting.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I use an insulated stainless steel mug as it is.... If they came with a built in heater, I'd buy one! laugh

I like my coffee hot, but not as hot as my grandpa did. He'd pour a fresh cup from their BUNN and stick it in the microwave for 30-45 sec.

"Hot enough to melt your toenails."

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Coffee cup and saucer, never saw coffee served any other way by my maternal grandmother's. Her oldest and youngest sons lived with her then and that's the only way I ever saw them drink coffee. They'd pour a little into the saucer, blow on it for a few seconds to cool it down, sip some from saucer, then repeat. A little "cowboy" coffee went in the red-eye gravy.

Grandma made three kinds of coffee every morning with breakfast -- percolator, boiled (cowboy coffee) and a kettle with boiling water for decaf instant. Youngest son had half of his stomach removed (ulcer surgery) and was only supposed to drink decaf.

They'd usually sit around drinking coffee for a little while after finishing breakfast and talk about country stuff -- crops, fishing, hunting, guns, good/no good hunting dogs, good /bad hunting areas, numbers of quail, squirrel, rabbits they and folks they knew had killed so far...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Slurp.

Make your you wipe your chin.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Saw it done once, the guy was in a hurry to leave the house and wanted to finish it fast. Heck, I don't even see saucers anymore, much less anyone using one to speed up the caffeine intake.
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I like my coffee hot, but not as hot as my grandpa did. He'd pour a fresh cup from their BUNN and stick it in the microwave for 30-45 sec.

"Hot enough to melt your toenails."

I nuke my coffee too. Like to see it bubbling when I take it from the m'wave. Unfortunately, sometimes I leave it too long and it overflows the mug. Fine art to knowing when to remove it.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Slurp.

Make your you wipe your chin.

Now you did it... Nobody tells the Eyeball when to wipe his hard earned gains off.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
As a kid I saw saucering quite a bit...my guess is, times were harder, and folks used a small amount of coffee grounds (expensive) and a lot of water (cheap) and boiled the living hell out of it to get every last bit of good out of the grounds. Nowadays people who actually like good coffee...don't allow it to come to a boil...ever. The first logging camp I lived and worked out of, the second batch of morning coffee, the old grounds were left in and the new grounds and water were added and the mess boiled again. Note I use the word boiled, not perked, not brewed.
I recall either batch as being hot, bitter as gall, and black as hell...a lot of sugar and milk was used. Food was good, plenty of it, but nothing was wasted. As an example, Bake day was Sunday night and Wednesday, leftover stale bread was used to make big pans of bread and fruit pudding, which was great stuff, but just showed nothing was wasted. After breakfast we made our own lunches at the "spike table" mainly leftovers, porkchops, chicken, meatloaf etc bread, rat cheese and condiments and mountains of hard boiled eggs. Mostly us young single guys lived in camp and the married older guys commuted from home. We secretly felt sorry for them, what pitiful lunches most of them had.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My mother always served coffee on a saucer. If I had anything more interesting to add I would. But it looks as if Hunter's Campfire is dredging very close to the bottom now.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.