Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks hunts.

I totally agree! Almost all damage I have noted in shipping is the buttstocks in levers. And I often suggest shipping with stock removed. I think from now on I will insist it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
This is his reply...
John

This is my final response John. If you contact Paypal be prepared for yours and my account to be frozen and closed. You are at just as at fault for using PayPal as I am, so that threat is just as self destructive as it is punitive.
And as for the rifle, I inspected the rifle and there was not a crack when I had it. I certainly did not sell it with intention of pushing off a supposedly damaged rifle on someone else. I would have never sold it if that is the case.
Lastly, i certainly don't appreciate you going on the thread a being a dick before contacting me to attempt to resolve this. You immediately turned the thread the day before you sent me a message with the issue.
Nevertheless, I do not agree the rifle had a crack before I sent it and certainly don't agree with your inflated estimate. My one and only offer is $300 refund. If you accept let me know and if not, this will be our last contact.

The seller is a lowdown varmint and cheat.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like in the original pics the stock may have had a small crack and was made worse in shipping. Seller should refund your money then file a claim with the shipper

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Damage from shipping is almost always due to using insufficient amounts of appropriate packing materials. I have packed dozens of fully assembled guns and have yet to have anyone complain of damages. Dissassembly only opens you up to having different problems like rubbing inside the package. I say to leave them whole and pack it right!

Medics bury their mistakes..
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Filing a shipping claim is like pissing in the lake and looking for the level to rise.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What in theee hell could a shipper do to a package that would cause that crack? If it’s visible in the pics, seller should have noted it. I doubt UPS used the box as a ramp, and it seems you would need something like that to cause that crack during shipping. Also seems the packaging would have displayed damage on the outside in the same spot.

Why the OP would destroy himself, and any future sales, on this forum for a couple hundred dollars extra, is beyond me. We’re I the OP, Id replace the stock, or fix it and note the repair with price adjusted downward to compensate. Pretty sure he paid nowhere near his asking price for the gun.

I understand how people’s descriptions can vary while looking at the same object, oh that’s 95% on the bluing, no it’s not it’s only 90%. I say 93%. But, a crack is a crack! Some will sell their reputations, or souls for a hundred bucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gun was advertised as nib. So its not the buyers problem, period!

Up to the seller and usps to work it out.

Full refund is the only way its fair to the buyer. Seller takes the chance on it getting in one pc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to update this situation.

The seller has sent me $500 for damages .

The issue has been resolved amicably.

Thanks for your time and consideration.It’s been awesome.

Now …….any advice on moving foreword with this cracked stock?

Thanks again all of you.

10ring1 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Let me start by saying, I did not want to address this thread until the issue was resolved with the buyer. The issue has been resolved.

First off, I had recently acquired the rifle as I had sold it. I did not see the alleged imperfection prior to listing it. There was some obvious noted damage during shipping. I will make one argument in my defense, the buyer did address the thread either at the exact same time or before he had messaged me to find resolution and all of this. And of course the thread went south from there. I am happy to find resolution with the buyer. Never had any malice intention to screw anyone, ever. I have a positive reputation here for selling quality items and I will continue to sell here but check things more closely before listing.

Moving forward, I will not address this thread any longer as this is resolved. If you feel the need to continue to be negative, be negative on this ad, not on my future ads. I will not play into the childishness.

I have learned several lessons from this unfortunate event and John, I am offering a public apology. I'm sorry for all of this and glad to find some amicable resolution.

Ring

Live and die by the Browning...
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The issue has been resolved amicably.

Thanks for your time and consideration.It’s been awesome.

Thanks again all of you.

That's a good settlement, but a shame the seller waited to destroy his own reputation first.

Replace the stock now.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d remove it and try and figure out the angle of the crack, then drill a couple of holes through it starting where it’s inletted for the lever (from the pics, that looks possible). If the crack is wide enough or can be opened a bit with light pressure, work some thin epoxy into the crack, or use a syringe, then run some brass screws coated in the epoxy into the holes and pull them down to close it. You may have to grind off the heads after it sets. If any epoxy seeps out the crack externally, wipe it off with a rag dampened with solvent, even isopropyl alcohol. Keep an eye on that while it sets as it may creep out over time.

I fixed a Mauser stock cracked through the web in front of the trigger inletting and through into the grip like that. Had to file and Dremel off the ends since they showed, but it came out looking decent, and I’m no craftsman, just cautious.

If you aren’t confident about it, give it to a pro. You have the money now.

What fresh Hell is this?
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’d remove it and try and figure out the angle of the crack, then drill a couple of holes through it starting where it’s inletted for the lever (from the pics, that looks possible). If the crack is wide enough or can be opened a bit with light pressure, work some thin epoxy into the crack, or use a syringe, then run some brass screws coated in the epoxy into the holes and pull them down to close it. You may have to grind off the heads after it sets. If any epoxy seeps out the crack externally, wipe it off with a rag dampened with solvent, even isopropyl alcohol. Keep an eye on that whole it sets as it may creep out over time.

I fixed a Mauser stock cracked through the web in front of the trigger inletting and through into the grip like that. Had to file and Dremel off the ends since they showed, but it came out looking decent, and I’m no craftsman, just cautious.

Bad advice. If he does this he no longer has a NIB rifle, but rather a hacked up repaired one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good deal 10Ring

Last edited by DANNYL; 08/04/22.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’d remove it and try and figure out the angle of the crack, then drill a couple of holes through it starting where it’s inletted for the lever (from the pics, that looks possible). If the crack is wide enough or can be opened a bit with light pressure, work some thin epoxy into the crack, or use a syringe, then run some brass screws coated in the epoxy into the holes and pull them down to close it. You may have to grind off the heads after it sets. If any epoxy seeps out the crack externally, wipe it off with a rag dampened with solvent, even isopropyl alcohol. Keep an eye on that whole it sets as it may creep out over time.

Bad advice. If he does this he no longer has a NIB rifle, but rather a hacked up repaired one.

And if he replaces the stock, he still doesn't have a NIB rifle.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Thanks again all of you.

..................just buy another stock, move on, and hunt that bitch

Windage & Elevation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boyd’s stock?

I could name her mello yellow!

Attached Images
27D69809-01E8-4FCE-8085-861C82A35F70.png (96.24 KB, 186 downloads)
Last edited by Angus1895; 08/04/22.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pappy 348 has the advice
Inject with needle some gorilla glue, should solve it, if not you can always pin it. Should be able to "twist it a bit and open it for the glue
Pinning tho, solves it

Sad it came to this ...

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Angus,

If it was mine, I wouldn't half step it with a repair. I would find an original matching factory finished stock or a replacement stock blank finished to match the rifle. An example would be something like this one on
Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/941873782

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Glad it worked out - 10ring1 is a good guy and I knew he’d make it right.

If it were me I’d find a similar replacement stock (they are out there) or depending one the crack it should be fixable and barely visible if the stock repair is done properly.

Good luck,
PennDog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Late to the party.

Don’t know how many sellers allow an 8 week inspection period.
I’ll take it on 5/25/22, damage report on 7/31/22.

Good, timely communication goes a long way.

Buyer should have had his FFL dealer inspect the rifle for damage upon arrival and if he is his own FFL, then made arrangements for someone to look it over.

Good on the seller for making it right.

Last edited by Sharps1874; 08/04/22.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,219 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.