Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For my 24" Ruger Hawkeye African 6.5x55mm - am developing Two loads:

1. 140 gr. Speer GS over 46.0 gn. H4831 for ~ 2740 fps.
2. 130 gr. Barnes TSX over 48.0 gn. H4831 for ~ 2800 fps.

Both should be < 60KPSI.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Both should be honest 350 yd. field loads.

GR

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My 6.5X55 is a Sako 85, although I have played with old Mausers as well. For years I shot the 130 grain AB at 2700 with no complaints. The furthest I killed a deer with that load was right on 400 yards. A while back I got a couple of boxes of 130 grain SGK HPBT's. They shoot well also and the last deer I killed last year was with that load. I really like the rifle. It's extremely accurate and the cartridge is about as sweet-shooting as can be. Every once in a while I get the urge to crank up the speed of those 130's a bit, but I've got a lot of other things to do that are higher priority.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Model 70 XTR Sporter 6.5x55 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Most 6.5x55 factory ammo and load data has a lower pressure ceiling in respect for the Norwegian Krags that are floating around. Even if the Norwegian Krags have better metallurgy than the U.S. Krags, the one-lug design doesn't inspire a ton of confidence if you want to push pressure and performance above the design specs.

Not quite so. The Norwegian Krags actually employ two locking lugs: the safety lug on the side of the Norwegian bolt is made to bear against the receiver as well as the main big lug, whereas that lug on the U.S. Krag is left with air between it and the receiver.

True, but a safety lug is just that, insurance that you hope that you'll never need use of.

I've owned a sporterized Norwegian Krag for over 30 years and have shot it very little, maybe as much as two boxes of factory ammo, during that time. One of those impulse purchases that was fun for awhile and then it got cleaned and put on a shelf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone wanted pics? Here's the juxtaposition of "modern" to go with the Swedish Mausers presented above. Anybody have a Norwegian Krag to show us?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And before anybody questions why the scope is so far back, if you had my neck on your shoulders you would do the same!!

Just me.

My scopes tend to be back some as well. As a a rule, the end of the straight part of the tube ends up nearly against the front ring. As long as I can run the bolt without mashing my schnoz, it’s good.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have just one Swede. It is a custom rifle that Jay Frazier made one of his friends when he was operating a shop in Delta. Frazier would not checker those guns he made for his friends but it is decent wood and heavy. It is a 1925 Mexican mauser with a douglas barrel and shoots 140 grain Trophy Nosler accubonds very accurately about 1.5 moa. My wife made the crazy sling when we found out that we had left our slings in the car and were flying into glacier country. It has a Kahles scope that is decent.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a model 70 Featherweight in 6.5 x 55, along with a Mauser/ Carl Gustaf...

the Mauser has a 29 inch barrel and a long detachable bayonet, which is usually left in the gun safe...

I use the Mauser for just nostalgia... but it does see hunting uses... and has taken a few blacktails

My loads are simple... with either a 120 grain Ballistic Tip, a 129 SP or 140 SP Hornady, or 140 grain Speer..or the old 140 gr Rem Corelokt.

Load is pretty simple using open sights, 30 grains of either RL 7 or IMR 4198...

kicks less than a 30/30, and if need be is easily capable of 200 yds service...

one of my most favorite rifles.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Both should be < 60KPSI.

GR

Don’t know why these didn’t fly off the shelves as fast as the .275’s did the year before. By far my favorite big game rifle in my safe. I run 140 gr partitions under RL 22.

Last edited by CRJ1960; 08/04/22.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Most 6.5x55 factory ammo and load data has a lower pressure ceiling in respect for the Norwegian Krags that are floating around. Even if the Norwegian Krags have better metallurgy than the U.S. Krags, the one-lug design doesn't inspire a ton of confidence if you want to push pressure and performance above the design specs.

Not quite so. The Norwegian Krags actually employ two locking lugs: the safety lug on the side of the Norwegian bolt is made to bear against the receiver as well as the main big lug, whereas that lug on the U.S. Krag is left with air between it and the receiver.

True, but a safety lug is just that, insurance that you hope that you'll never need use of.

I've owned a sporterized Norwegian Krag for over 30 years and have shot it very little, maybe as much as two boxes of factory ammo, during that time. One of those impulse purchases that was fun for awhile and then it got cleaned and put on a shelf.

Also true, but in the case of the Norge Krag it isn't a safety lug rather a second locking lug in the system. The US relegated that lug to a non-bearing safety lug status.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll betcha that if the gun/ammo companies had gotten their sh*t together and settled on a uniform throat configuration for the 6.5x55, and strictly adhered to it, there wouldn't have been a need for the 6.5 Creedmoor. But on the other hand, each new generation of shooters seem to have the need to re-invent the wheel in one way or another.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll betcha that if the gun/ammo companies had gotten their sh*t together and settled on a uniform throat configuration for the 6.5x55, and strictly adhered to it, there wouldn't have been a need for the 6.5 Creedmoor. But on the other hand, each new generation of shooters seem to have the need to re-invent the wheel in one way or another.

Nope. The Swede wouldn't do so well in 2.8" magazines which was a big part of the reason for the Creedmoor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRJ1960

Both should be < 60KPSI.

GR

Don’t know why these didn’t fly off the shelves as fast as the .275’s did the year before. By far my favorite big game rifle in my safe. I run 140 gr partitions under RL 22.

One word: Creedmoor

This one replaced a M1903A3 gifted to a family member, as my aperture sighted CF field bolt rifle.

Will start hunting w/ it when enough PPU has been disassembled at the range to facilitate the load development.

GR

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mathman

Nope. The Swede wouldn't do so well in 2.8" magazines which was a big part of the reason for the Creedmoor.

Point taken. I've never given a hoot for "short" bolt actions so that premise was outside my field of view. I transitioned to single shots long ago - now there's some short actions.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Will start hunting w/ it when enough PPU has been disassembled at the range to facilitate the load development.

GR

Treat yourself to some Lapua. Once I started using that stuff I quit domestic brands and PPU - I got tired of dimensional variations and dealing with lopsided necks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 6.5x55 SE is a fine cartridge born out of military use with long throated chambers for 173 gr class bullets early on. Like many Mauser based cartridges the 3.2” actions they ride in are in no man’s land, not as popular as the 2.8” based cartridge SA and not a true 3.4” cartridge LA. Modern LA set up correctly could take real advantage of the extra case capacity and long, high BC projectiles.

For the masses however the SA is in vogue and the 6.5 CM is by far a better platform for a light weight alpine rifle carrying a 20” barrel. Same is true when comparing the 7x57 Mauser and the 7mm-08 Rem. Also both CM and Rem can be loaded at much higher pressures if you correspond to SAAMI load data.

I do like the nostalgia of the 6.5x55 SE and the 7x57 Mauser in the field taking game. All the aforementioned cartridges pretty much do the same thing, it’s only personal preference that separates them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Rossimp
I do like the nostalgia of the 6.5x55 SE and the 7x57 Mauser in the field taking game. All the aforementioned cartridges pretty much do the same thing, it’s only personal preference that separates them.

…But on the other hand, each new generation of shooters seem to have the need to re-invent the wheel in one way or another.

The wheel goes round and round. Occasionally, small improvements are made, but in the end, it’s what you like that counts.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, the wheel goes round and round. The problem is The Great Unwashed Masses have no concept of history and the studying of it, and as a result repeat dumb mistakes that our forebears conclusively solved.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

GR

Treat yourself to some Lapua. Once I started using that stuff I quit domestic brands and PPU - I got tired of dimensional variations and dealing with lopsided necks.

My stingy Scottish fingers would revolt.

8>)

For field rifles... have always gotten good performance from disassembled PPU brass.

GR

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Rossimp
The 6.5x55 SE is a fine cartridge born out of military use with long throated chambers for 173 gr class bullets early on. .

I suspect you are thinking of the 7x57 when you mention "173 gr class bullets early on." The 6.5x55 's original round-nosed military bullet weighed around 156 grains, as designed by the joint Swedish-Norwegian commission that came up with the round when the two countries were parts of the same kingdom.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes sir I did just that. Confusion is a common thing for an old man.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,256
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.