Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A couple weeks ago i bought an old M7-3X Leupold from SMACK here on the fire, had been talking to a buddy for several months about his Dad's dimming eyesight and got the scope as a gift to scope the old man's lever action Marlin in 32 Winchester Special, yesterday i met bud at his dad's place with the scope, was going to surprise them, well, the joke was on me, the kid had already bought his dad a 1.5-5 Leupold, that was one of the scopes i had recommended earlier, had it mounted and zeroed for 100 yards with 170gr soft points, the old man asked how much i paid for the scope, i told him.

After lunch as we were leaving he handed me some cash, i refused, he said take this or i'm going to throw it on the ground, and thanks for thinking about me son, he's 82 years old, really cool when things like that happen with all the crap going on the world over today. smile

The scope came with a set of Weaver rings, i have a set of Weaver bases for my old pre-64 300 H&H, i may just scope it up and hunt it with 220gr npt's a little this season.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good story Gunner- I can relate.

Dad told me some years back to cash a check my grandmother sent me for some work I did at her place after I refused to take money in person. I told him I was happy to do her a favor, and he said something to the effect- then she will be happy to do you one - don't take that from her.

If I recall I sent her some flowers- which she always felt were a frivolous waste......so we were even. I miss that gal.

Best thing you can do is mount the scope and show it to him afterwards. You will both feel gifted. You are a good man for the thoughtfulness.

Last edited by kenjs1; 08/06/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, Thanks kenjs1, about same/same here, i used to work for food from my grannies, pork chops, gravy and pumpkin pies, if i had plenty of 22 and 410 shells i didnt have much use for money anyway, always made good use of that fine home cooking.

I mounted that 3X on the old 300 H&H, yanked the bolt and centered it on a black dot on load shop wall, i'll get it busting the center of a strip of black electrical tape at 25 yards, that removes the weather and me from the equation, then move target on to 50, 75 and 100, 3 inches high there will do the deeds. smile

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Slightly similar story. My wife's grandfather had been one of the best open sight rifle shots around, but his vision faded and he was complaining about not being able to see his sights clearly. I told him I would mount a scope on his rimfire and he said he didn't like scopes- they made him wobble, an old myth I have heard several times from old timers. Anyway after I explained that the scope only magnified the wobble that was already there, he agreed to try it. I put an old off brand Japan made 2.5x scope on it and took it back after sighting it in. He couldn't believe the difference. I soon got a call asking for more ammo the next time I was in town. He had used his up shooting hickory nuts off the tree in his yard.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
A couple weeks ago i bought an old M7-3X Leupold from SMACK here on the fire, had been talking to a buddy for several months about his Dad's dimming eyesight and got the scope as a gift to scope the old man's lever action Marlin in 32 Winchester Special, yesterday i met bud at his dad's place with the scope, was going to surprise them, well, the joke was on me, the kid had already bought his dad a 1.5-5 Leupold, that was one of the scopes i had recommended earlier, had it mounted and zeroed for 100 yards with 170gr soft points, the old man asked how much i paid for the scope, i told him.

After lunch as we were leaving he handed me some cash, i refused, he said take this or i'm going to throw it on the ground, and thanks for thinking about me son, he's 82 years old, really cool when things like that happen with all the crap going on the world over today. smile

The scope came with a set of Weaver rings, i have a set of Weaver bases for my old pre-64 300 H&H, i may just scope it up and hunt it with 220gr npt's a little this season.

Good on you. It comes around brother. It do.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You did great, IMO.

I love those old long tube 3X Loopies.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great story Gunner, gives me hope that there might be a chance for this world after all.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, funny but true stuff LeonH, glass indeed reveals all flaws.

Thanks AKBob5, Yessir, it does, very nice when it shows like that.

Thanks L2S, and you bet, that old 3X looks just right on that old 300 H&H, heck, it may have been a popular scope on the 375's and 458's in the early days, 3X is plenty of power to me for 300 yard shooting, if one mainly shoots Sharps rifles from one to 1100 yards with buckhorn barrel and copper penny front sight, any magnification is a luxury, so an animal at 300 yards appearing to be standing at 100 with naked eye would be a blessing placing good accurate hits.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by frogman43
Great story Gunner, gives me hope that there might be a chance for this world after all.....

You bet Frogman, me too Sir.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
This thread is "good stuff".

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Bruin, and a loud shoutout to SMACK too, he sent me that scope before my check even arrived, much less cleared his bank, good dude! cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
You bet Bruin, and a loud shoutout to SMACK too, he sent me that scope before my check even arrived, much less cleared his bank, good dude! cool
That's the good stuff the 'Fire was built on.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Good stories guys.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome stuff gunner ol buddy. Thanks for sharing!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Men, and you're all welcome, the pleasure is mine, i'm mired up with hit and miss hurry up and wait crap today, i'll zero that 3X and 300 H&H tomorrow, will take some pics and see if JWP475 will post em up.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Congrats on your new free scope.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Men, and you're all welcome, the pleasure is mine, i'm mired up with hit and miss hurry up and wait crap today, i'll zero that 3X and 300 H&H tomorrow, will take some pics and see if JWP475 will post em up.

It comes around to you, cause you’re a good Mofo Gunner.

Can’t wait to see them pictures of the old 300, scoped up..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

It comes around to you, cause you’re a good Mofo Gunner.

Can’t wait to see them pictures of the old 300, scoped up..

I second that on all accounts. ^^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great.

It's fantastic to hear a story of generosity being materially rewarded.

Instead of abused.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks all around Gents, it's a fun little deal, got beautirful rains with nice rain cooled air yesterday so couldn't shoot, loaded the door facing out back for zeroing at first light this morning, well hell, headlights roll across the rr tracks out front at dark 30 this morning, seems internet company needs to trench and bury a new cable/fiber? line up to the house today, we may be getting big city internet out here in the country LOL.

So i best hang loose for them today in case they find a water, gas or phone line down in that dirt, i'll limber that 300 H&H and new to me 3X up good in the morning.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,783
Posts18,495,955
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.