Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
A pedestrians purpose for legally using a 'recreational' travel way, is of no concern of yours then, how do you know they aren't being defensive?

What do you experience on the road today that pedestrians don't experience from cyclists on a 'recreational' travel way.

It's sure they experience the same complaining.

Kent

I have relevant experiences walking. Those experiences tell me when there's no legitimate reason for a pedestrian to be where they are on a path. Take this person for example. Two clearly marked lanes with a separation zone in between the two paths to keep flailing arms and handlebars out of contact. The separation zone has markings that should be familiar to anyone who has a driver's license. Those markings mean "keep off." I won't get an honest answer out of you, but I'll give you an opportunity to be disingenuous. What possible reason would this person have for being in the separation zone?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bear in mind that I am not complaining. It's very easy for me to deal with that. I have had groups of pedestrians strung completely across the bike lane on this MUP. I have had groups of up to 10 people standing in the middle of the bike lane chatting. Hell, I'd go around them without uttering a word, but there is about a 4 inch lip of asphalt along the edge that won't allow me to reasonably do that.

I experience a very real threat of serious bodily injury or death from motorists when I am bicycling. Statistics bear this out. The statistics bear out that there is very little threat that a pedestrian faces from bicyclists. You'll get your disingenuous on here too. I am guessing through obfuscation or red herring. It will be interesting to see what tactic you use.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by krp
This isn't about courteousness, it's about complaining about uncourteousness...

Sorry, I was not aware you were clairvoyant, and knew what this thread is all about. I just started the thread, what do I know?

But let me ask you a hypothetical. You're walking alone on a popular bike trail, nine feet wide. Bikes are passing you at the rate of about one every 2-3 minutes.

Do you:

1) Take notice and walk over on the right side of the trail so the bikes can pass; or

2) Walk down the middle of the trail and act surprised when a bike comes up behind you.

I am always courteous.

And the 'this' in my post is reply to the quote you put up about... cyclist want it both ways.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
Again... pedestrians have right of way and bicyclists don't like it... ironic...

Kent

It's what some pedestrians do with their right of way (or rather don't do) that I don't like. That being, hog the trail so that faster traffic can't pass.

Irony... you don't like so you complain.

No, it's not irony. For it to be ironic, I would have to be a road cyclist that rides in the traffic lane and slows down traffic.

I'm not a road cyclist and I don't slow down traffic. Maybe you should actually read the thread?

Originally Posted by krp
And the 'this' in my post is reply to the quote you put up about... cyclist want it both ways.
Kent

Not me. See above.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by krp
A pedestrians purpose for legally using a 'recreational' travel way, is of no concern of yours then, how do you know they aren't being defensive?

What do you experience on the road today that pedestrians don't experience from cyclists on a 'recreational' travel way.

Kent

I have relevant experiences walking. Those experiences tell me when there's no legitimate reason for a pedestrian to be where they are on a path. Take this person for example. Two clearly marked lanes with a separation zone in between the two paths to keep flailing arms and handlebars out of contact. The separation zone has markings that should be familiar to anyone who has a driver's license. Those markings mean "keep off." I won't get an honest answer out of you, but I'll give you an opportunity to be disingenuous. What possible reason would this person have for being in the separation zone?

Bear in mind that I am not complaining. It's very easy for me to deal with that. I have had groups of pedestrians strung completely across the bike lane on this MUP. I have had groups of up to 10 people standing in the middle of the bike lane chatting. Hell, I'd go around them without uttering a word, but there is about a 4 inch lip of asphalt along the edge that won't allow me to reasonably do that.

I experience a very real threat of serious bodily injury or death from motorists when I am bicycling. Statistics bear this out. The statistics bear out that there is very little threat that a pedestrian faces from bicyclists. You'll get your disingenuous on here too. I am guessing through obfuscation or red herring. It will be interesting to see what tactic you use.

Well, again you post something that doesn't relate to what I posted, and you create a what'if from a picture that I can only answer with another, what'if, so you can say it's a red herring.

Just posting the picture and what'if and insinuating she's not where she's allowed to be is complaining about where's she's at.

If that's a two way bike lane, she looks pretty defensive to me and in the safest place on the track.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Not me. See above.

The quote on a quote on a quote is tedious...

I don't think even Paul rides in a manner that causes traffic trouble unless completely unavoidable. The 'road' isn't the only place bicycles and vehicles can collide. Obviously residential streets are safer because the speed differential is minimal, people are more careful with kids playing, walkers, bikers... parking lots, intersections.

Anyway, you as a cyclist complained about pedestrians, others jumped in, I find that ironic and humorous, which it is.

I'm really only on this site for the sarcasm and ironic humor.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Well, again you post something that doesn't relate to what I posted, and you create a what'if from a picture that I can only answer with another, what'if, so you can say it's a red herring.

Just posting the picture and what'if and insinuating she's not where she's allowed to be is complaining about where's she's at.

If that's a two way bike lane, she looks pretty defensive to me and in the safest place on the track.

Kent

Looks like we are in agreement on the fact that motorists are a real threat to bicyclists but bicyclists are statistically a nominal threat to pedestrians. Glad we made that progress.

Your response the first part of my post helped make my point. While I didn't come right and say that the part of the path to the left was for pedestrians. I spoke about pedestrians, bicyclists and separation zones. To the observant, that alone would clearly indicate that the picture doesn't show a two way bicycle path. BUT, I also included a picture. You have to look closely to see the clear lane markings. They appear regularly at about 200 foot intervals. Then there's also the clue of the pedestrians in the pic. There was also my comment about separating flailing arms and handlebars. You missed ALL of that but would be the kind who thinks they know what's best for a bicyclist. LOL. Sometimes this stuff writes itself.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent

Looks like we are in agreement on the fact that motorists are a real threat to bicyclists but bicyclists are statistically a nominal threat to pedestrians. Glad we made that progress.

Your response the first part of my post helped make my point. While I didn't come right and say that the part of the path to the left was for pedestrians. I spoke about pedestrians, bicyclists and separation zones. To the observant, that alone would clearly indicate that the picture doesn't show a two way bicycle path. BUT, I also included a picture. You have to look closely to see the clear lane markings. They appear regularly at about 200 foot intervals. Then there's also the clue of the pedestrians in the pic. There was also my comment about separating flailing arms and handlebars. You missed ALL of that but would be the kind who thinks they know what's best for a bicyclist. LOL. Sometimes this stuff writes itself.

Wrong on all counts of your assumptions.

Kent

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I long for the good old days of yore when me and my buds played football in the street.

Small town low traffic streets. Gee, how much fun it would be to be a kid and do that again.. whistle

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Not me. See above.

The quote on a quote on a quote is tedious...

I don't think even Paul rides in a manner that causes traffic trouble unless completely unavoidable. The 'road' isn't the only place bicycles and vehicles can collide. Obviously residential streets are safer because the speed differential is minimal, people are more careful with kids playing, walkers, bikers... parking lots, intersections.

Anyway, you as a cyclist complained about pedestrians, others jumped in, I find that ironic and humorous, which it is.

I'm really only on this site for the sarcasm and ironic humor.

Kent

He wrote of a truism. The very people who complain about bicyclists on the road are the ones who become what they complain about when they walk on a path. Him pointing that reality out isn't a complaint.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Prove any pedestrian that he encounter complained about bicyclists on the road.

Kent

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He wrote of a truism. The very people who complain about bicyclists on the road are the ones who become what they complain about when they walk on a path. Him pointing that reality out isn't a complaint.

No, it's irony. Irony that the connoisseur of ironic humor can't see.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

They all complain when they're behind the wheel and a biker slows them down. Hell, even I do..

Prove they didn't.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Give me one example of a pedestrian saying to you... you are the same cyclists that I hate on my way driving on the road.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

They all complain when they're behind the wheel and a biker slows them down. Hell, even I do..

Prove they didn't.

LOL... everyone complains about everyone... ironic isn't it.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't have to. You see how the cycling threads go on here. Drivers complain about cyclists. Period.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
So what was the point of your thread again?

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, I understand that it escapes you. Not my problem. Paul summed it up nicely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Give me one example of a pedestrian saying to you... you are the same cyclists that I hate on my way driving on the road.

Kent

I have never asked, but in my mind it is reasonable to assume that some of those pedestrians are the same ones complaining about bicyclists on the road. Hell, just look at the number of motorists who complain about bicyclists breaking the law. Of course none of those motorists would ever go above the speed limit, never slow roll a stop, never fail to signal a lane change or turn...right?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Yes, I understand that it escapes you. Not my problem. Paul summed it up nicely.

It didn't escape me, literally you just said... You see how the cycling threads go on here.

So with that history you couldn't see the comparison happening.

Kent

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,788
Posts18,496,024
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.