Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
So last week I got a call from an old co-worker (friend), I've been in contact with since I left that job in 2012. So he starts the conversation "I'm not going to be around long, do you want any of my guns?" He's 79 on oxygen full time with COPD and AFIB he explains, and this is why he feel his time is close.

While I'm interested in some of his firearms, I'm more interested in being there for him. We've probably only averaged a conversation a year since I left my old job. I did stop in when I saw him working in his yard once and spent about 30 minutes shooting the bull in the last 10 years.

His youngest lives six hours away and he's been widowed for nearly 30 years. He lives two hours from me and I'm going to try to get up there at least a couple times a month. I spent four hours with him yesterday and he wanted to show me everything as I told him I'd help him to sell off his firearms, ammo, reloading gear, archery gear, and knives that aren't going to his kids. I also need to spend some time mowing his yard he was so proud of.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do what you can.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a sad situation. As Jim Conran said do what you can!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I reconnected with an old friend in November of last year. He had stage 4 bladder cancer and was in chemotherapy. Was able to get together before leaving for Florida for the winter. Once back home we fished a bunch on my boat an attempted some golf. Lost him last month. Anything you can do to support your friend is priceless.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sorry to hear. Hod Bless.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Spending time with him is gold, for him and you.................

BUT!

Do not deny him the blessing of giving you something.........................

A lot of people say no because they don't 'need' it, can 'do it' themselves, or are just too proud..........

The giver wants and needs to give, and there must be someone to give to!!!

IMHO.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Muffin

BUT!

A lot of people say no because they don't 'need' it, can 'do it' themselves, or are just too proud..........

IMHO.
There is a lot to this...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very well said.

I've always enjoyed hanging out with the older guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

BUT!

IMHO.
There is a lot to this...

Muffin and OSU Sig;
Morning gentlemen, I trust you're both fine as frog's hair this bright, clear and hot up here Wednesday.

Thanks for the thoughts on giving, I very much appreciate it.

You are both - in my opinion and direct personal experience - spot on with your assessment.

Someday I'm going to write an essay about the subject, but will spare everyone that today.

Nonetheless there is a special blessing available for both the giver and the receiver when they can look each other in the eyes when doing so, you know?

When the giver is gone, they of course are out of the equation, but it also changes for the receiver of the gift, at times substantially.

Just a few thoughts from a semi-old guy who has given this subject a bunch of thought and meditation.

Thanks for reading and all the best to you both and the OP as well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

BUT!

IMHO.

I'm not going to refuse if he wants to give me something, but he implied he'd sell them to me at a "friend" rate. He's wanting to lighten the burden on his Daughter, and I told him I'm cash poor at the moment and time is what I have the most of. I just finished paying cash for a kitchen remodel and major vehicle repairs or else we'd have settled on a few firearms for me to take home.

There is a Ruger Deerstalker Carbine I have my eye on and I'll buy when we decide on a fair price, but a lot of what he owns isn't in my wheelhouse. His tastes were more towards SA revolvers and 1911 pistols, I'm a hunting rifle guy. Maybe a 1911 will find it's way home with me as well. However, he has close to 100 firearms to liquidate, and I don't want him to have to wholesale everything.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

BUT!

IMHO.

Exactly right, it's important for him to know that whatever he's giving is going to be cared for as much as he has cared for it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Your time is the greatest gift you can give him right now. If he wants to sort through this or that, help him do so. If he wants to sit in his recliner and just BS, that's what you do. I lost my Dad June 4th of this year. I've got WAY to many guns to sort through, but I'd trade them all for a few more conversations with him.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
I lost my Dad June 4th of this year. I've got WAY to many guns to sort through, but I'd trade them all for a few more conversations with him.

I'm sorry for your loss. My Dad is 81, and I'm trying to spend as much time as I can as well with him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spending time with him is gold, for him and you................. BUT! Do not deny him the blessing of giving you something......................... A lot of people say no because they don't 'need' it, can 'do it' themselves, or are just too proud.......... The giver wants and needs to give, and there must be someone to give to.
Sound wisdom.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several months back I lost my best friend of 50+ years but before he went to the hospital for the last time he gave me a very expensive rigid LED light bar. Didn’t really need it and had to do mods for the roof rack to fit it but I’m glad I did. I got to spend the last day of his life in ICU holding his hand and telling stories to his adult children who were also sitting by his bedside. When I look at that light bar on the top of the truck I always think of my friend… Glad I excepted his generous gift.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of us have a limited time in this current life. Prayers sent.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn sorry to hear about your co-worker's situation. You're a good man for even attempting to help out.

I've been thinking about some of my "stuff". No children (that I know of wink ) . Relative's kids that are old enough don't seem much interested in hunting or shooting, although one niece might be talked into it. Another nephew's kids are just getting started in school, so he may get to be caretaker for a couple of items for them until they reach the age of majority or whatever is necessary for them to take possession. Couple of siblings are like me, they have enough of their own to offload when the time comes, so they'll likely not be too interested in what I have or will not be much longer on this earth themselves.

If I have enough warning, y'all might see some items listed here in the future.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
He wants to spend time with you... quite an honor to be so highly thought of. Prayers sent...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I came into 3 firearms via that route. Fine arms, but I can't bring myself to use them .

Have the same issue with my equipment. One son, but if there's no xbox attached, he's not interested. Guess I'll sell off if I can see the light coming. If I'm hit by a truck, it's going to be a really fine estate sale.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
I came into 3 firearms via that route. Fine arms, but I can't bring myself to use them .

Have the same issue with my equipment. One son, but if there's no xbox attached, he's not interested. Guess I'll sell off if I can see the light coming. If I'm hit by a truck, it's going to be a really fine estate sale.
I know what you mean. I have a Sako in .223 with a custom stock and a fixed 10 Leupold scope. I know how good it shoots but I just can't seem to get it to the range or the field.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 68 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,437
Posts18,507,706
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.