Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Brad
If I were building a 270 from scratch I'd just twist it at 1-9 and forget the rest...

That’s been my thoughts as well. I’m almost tempted to rebarrel my 270 WSM to a 1:9 twist.

Just me, but if I’m rebarreling a 270 I’m going to twist it enough to handle any reasonable bullet that’s available. 1-7.5-1-8 min to handle the newer Nosler and Sierras. The extra RPMs won’t hurt hunting bullets.

Pac-Nor - only offers a 1:8 for a fast twist rate in .277", and that only in their 5R offering.

GR

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 9 twist on my .270 Win but don't require it. I think the .270 Win is best served by using 140's at just over 3000 fps so as to get a very good short to medium range trajectory using 140's with a bc over .5 such as the 140 TGK and 140 Berger Classic Hunter, they only require a 10 twist. The only hunting bullet I can think of that requires a 9 twist in the .270 Win is the 150 LR Accubond. To drive it at over 3000 fps in the .270 Win you need Reloder 26 which doesn't do well when temperatures get very hot. However in a bigger case such as a .270-7mm PRC I would consider using the 150 LR Accubond (if it shot as accurately as the Bergers or TGK's) and use a 9 twist or faster.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redhawk Rifles delivered a Bartlein #3 SS, 7mm, 8T today.
Manson reamer and gages should be here Monday......

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler

EXCELLENT!

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

EXCELLENT!

👍

What action did you decide upon?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

EXCELLENT!

👍

Still undecided. Defiance will likely get the nod.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hodgdon lists a load for the 7WSM with a 175 Sierra SBT @ 2,966 ft/sec. That is almost exactly the same as the 180gr 7PRC @ 2,950 ft/sec. Even at 3,000 ft/sec, that doesn't give the 7PRC any advantage. Except maybe more powder consumption, more recoil and less barrel life

Doesn't sound very exciting to me. But ....... if you just have to have another PRC chambered rifle it may be worth it. Afterall; how many "Creedmoors" does anyone need?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
Hodgdon lists a load for the 7WSM with a 175 Sierra SBT @ 2,966 ft/sec. That is almost exactly the same as the 180gr 7PRC @ 2,950 ft/sec. Even at 3,000 ft/sec, that doesn't give the 7PRC any advantage. Except maybe more powder consumption, more recoil and less barrel life

Doesn't sound very exciting to me. But ....... if you just have to have another PRC chambered rifle it may be worth it. Afterall; how many "Creedmoors" does anyone need?

Once again, somebody who thinks muzzle velocity is the ONLY difference between cartridges. It's easy to get as much or more velocity, just use a similar-sized or bigger case.

But there are two problems with comparing the 7mm WSM with the 7mm PRC. First, as I stated in an earlier post on this thread, the PRC's chamber has all the new stuff that "accuracy" cartridges include to help them shoot a little more accurately, including a 30-degree shoulder angle, and a parallel throat barrel above bullet diameter. In contrast, the 7mm WSM has a 35-degree shoulder, and a tapered throat. The throat in particular is NOT the best way to get the finest accuracy--which is what the PRC cartridges are all about, NOT the maximum muzzle velocity from a particular bullet diameter.

The other problem is finding 7mm WSM or ammo--and then hoping the brass is equal in quality to Hornady's brass, which for the past several years has been very good. Consistent brass dimensions are another "secret ingredient" in superb accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

EXCELLENT!

👍

Still undecided. Defiance will likely get the nod.

Defiance Deviant Hunter it is. Debated the Tenacity and anTi. Already have a Deviant Hunter SA Mag BF, as well as an anTi SA Mag BF. Like others, I had issues with scope/bolt handle clearance with the anTi. No issues with the DH. Bugholes.com had a couple DH LA Mag BF iin stock so I gave Russ a call. Should be at the LGS Friday. Reamer and gages from Manson came yesterday.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
WiFowler, will these work with Hawkins M5 DBM or BDL only? "Remington style magwell with feed lips for hinged floorplates".

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Bob
WiFowler, will these work with Hawkins M5 DBM or BDL only? "Remington style magwell with feed lips for hinged floorplates".

Are we talking the Deviant Hunter ? If so, yes, M5 DBM or BDL

From Defiance web site : "Works with hinged floorplates, detachable magazines or single shots"

I believe the anTi/anTi X work with BDL-Style and CENTER feed magazines.

FWIW, UPS notification says my Deviant Hunter from Bugholes.com should be here Friday!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Are we talking the Deviant Hunter ? If so, yes, M5 DBM or BDL

From Defiance web site : "Works with hinged floorplates, detachable magazines or single shots"

I believe the anTi/anTi X work with BDL-Style and CENTER feed magazines.

FWIW, UPS notification says my Deviant Hunter from Bugholes.com should be here Friday!

That’s impressive!
Is it the GA hunter or regular?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking of the Tenacity, I should have been more specific.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AKWolverine - regular Deviant Hunter . . . Wish I could find a GA Hunter, they never seem to be available when I'm looking.

257Bob - Tenacity BDL mag cut works with hinged floor plates and single stack AICS magazines - so the same as the anTi/anTi X. It appears to me, that for all intents and purposes, the anTi is a Tenacity that's been machined to reduce a bunch of weight.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Once again, somebody who thinks muzzle velocity is the ONLY difference between cartridges. It's easy to get as much or more velocity, just use a similar-sized or bigger case.

But there are two problems with comparing the 7mm WSM with the 7mm PRC. First, as I stated in an earlier post on this thread, the PRC's chamber has all the new stuff that "accuracy" cartridges include to help them shoot a little more accurately, including a 30-degree shoulder angle, and a parallel throat barrel above bullet diameter. In contrast, the 7mm WSM has a 35-degree shoulder, and a tapered throat. The throat in particular is NOT the best way to get the finest accuracy--which is what the PRC cartridges are all about, NOT the maximum muzzle velocity from a particular bullet diameter.

The other problem is finding 7mm WSM or ammo--and then hoping the brass is equal in quality to Hornady's brass, which for the past several years has been very good. Consistent brass dimensions are another "secret ingredient" in superb accuracy.

While all that may be true - I am achieving 7PRC velocities with 1/2moa accuracy at 400yds using prepped Win brass. And I'm using a nice short custom magnum action to get there. If the 7PRC can measurably out do that performance in a hunting rifle, I'll be the next guy to order one.

The only downside, IMO, to the 7WSM is that virtually no one makes high quality, commercially available brass. I could use 300WSM brass but it's a PITA to form and the Win brass has worked well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The advantage of the 7mm PRC may or may not be the ballistics, or case design or whatever. The advantage of the 7mm PRC is HORNADY ! I'll say it again, the advantage of the 7mm PRC is HORNADY. The 6.5PRC and 300PRCs have been a gold-mine for Hornady. The 7mm PRC will be no different. Rifles will sell and Hornady will support them with ammo and brass. The same cannot be said for the 7 RSAUM or the 7 WSM. BOTH Remington and Winchester dropped the ball on those pretty much before they got out of the gate and nobody has picked up the slack.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
AKWolverine - regular Deviant Hunter . . . Wish I could find a GA Hunter, they never seem to be available when I'm looking.

257Bob - Tenacity BDL mag cut works with hinged floor plates and single stack AICS magazines - so the same as the anTi/anTi X. It appears to me, that for all intents and purposes, the anTi is a Tenacity that's been machined to reduce a bunch of weight.
Gotcha, thanks!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] While all that may be true - I am achieving 7PRC velocities with 1/2moa accuracy at 400yds using prepped Win brass. And I'm using a nice short custom magnum action to get there. If the 7PRC can measurably out do that performance in a hunting rifle, I'll be the next guy to order one.

The only downside, IMO, to the 7WSM is that virtually no one makes high quality, commercially available brass. I could use 300WSM brass but it's a PITA to form and the Win brass has worked well.[/quote]

That's fine performance!

A couple weeks ago I got to shoot a factory 7mm PRC rifle with factory ammunition extensively, at ranges out to 800 yards. Got very similar accuracy....

Which is yet another reason I've been fascinated in the advances both factory rifles and ammo have made in the last several years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MD, without letting the cat outta the bag or breaking any NDA you may be tied to, was the factory 7mm PRC rifle fitted with a 24" or 26" tube?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
While all that may be true - I am achieving 7PRC velocities with 1/2moa accuracy at 400yds using prepped Win brass. And I'm using a nice short custom magnum action to get there. If the 7PRC can measurably out do that performance in a hunting rifle, I'll be the next guy to order one.

The only downside, IMO, to the 7WSM is that virtually no one makes high quality, commercially available brass. I could use 300WSM brass but it's a PITA to form and the Win brass has worked well.

I bought a bunch of a really good lot of 300 wsm Norma brand brass years ago. I found it really easy to form into 7 wsm. Just ran it into the resizer and formed a small shoulder part way down the neck just far enough to where the bolt would close snugly. Load it with a medium load and fire it and out came a perfectly fitted 7 wsm brass. I don't mind a bit of fireforming but I don't consider any brass ready for accuracy work until it's fired once. Even though I always full length size I only bump the shoulder a few thousandths.

I'm not a huge Norma brass fan but the lot of wsm I have from them is spectacular.

Bb

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,024
Posts18,481,722
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.