Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Not sure where to post but maybe a gun writer has an answer.

I have been looking for some 35 Rem for my Contender, my supply has gotten a little low. Nada for months save multi dollar per round extortion on Gunbroker. Not even Buffalo Bore.

Have ammo companies just given up on the 35?

RAS

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
More likely its just in line on the priority train....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seasonal run. Might not even be annual. Gotta stock up when you see it.

About a month ago I handled a very nice Remington 141 at an LGS. Had the money in my pocket, but passed it up. When I got home I poked around on the WWW and found not a single round of ammo nor any brass. I guess stores and gun shows are the only sources for now.

IIRC, Mule Deer once suggested that a feller could find all the .35 brass he needed lying around the deer woods.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/20/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, stock up. If you shoot much or hunt a. Lot with it I would buy every box you see any place

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think most ammo companies are focused on the big sellers and getting that ammo out. The not so big selling ammo of some cartridges suffer and seasonal runs become non existent, esp 35 calibers. When there is availability, some are also buying it up to flip on places like Gunbroker. I don't think there's any on there for less than $100 a box.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Reloading is worth the effort. Hawk makes a thinner jacket bullet in .358" that might be the ticket for your Contender

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ammo companies are well aware of how much ammo like 35 rem they sell. So when they produce it they might include a percentage over run ,might being a key word. Ordinary 35 rem users buy a box or 2 every year or 2. So when you have a panic first guy who sees that fresh stock of 35 rem on the shelf buys the whole fugging case and the once a year stock of 35 rem is gone. Makes the shop owner frown a little while his cash register goes ka ching. Then throw in people who hoard to scalp then good ole R Sherburn is screwed. Way it is you don't have to like it....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Ammo companies are well aware of how much ammo like 35 rem they sell. So when they produce it they might include a percentage over run ,might being a key word. Ordinary 35 rem users buy a box or 2 every year or 2. So when you have a panic first guy who sees that fresh stock of 35 rem on the shelf buys the whole fugging case and the once a year stock of 35 rem is gone. Makes the shop owner frown a little while his cash register goes ka ching. Then throw in people who hoard to scalp then good ole R Sherburn is screwed. Way it is you don't have to like it....mb

This is your answer, both to the "only special runs" and the "me first, me last, and after that everybody else" mentality that is such a source of pride for some. What is interesting is that the thread has come this far without the usual sermons about not having had the foresight to have filled the attic with the given product during the good times being given by preachers who are dislocating their arms patting themselves on the back while delivering the sermon.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well 5sdad that is the truth and could include the rest of your scorn as it is also the truth. Limited quantities of ANYTHING bring out the worst in alot of people from asswipe(tp) to anything normally bought and used. The smart answer to this is to be prepared best you can with the things you know you will need. The times have changed and buying what you want , when you want for how much you want to pay are gone. Got it?.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For the price of a couple of boxes of Gunbroker .35 ammo, a feller could buy a basic press, scale, dies, etc to refill the brass he (hopefully) has saved from his factory ammo. Many of us started out like that to save money, when that really did save money. Now, it’s more about just being able to shoot. From what I hear from others who are out and about checking stores, primers do appear from time to time, though at a fearsome cost. Even one flat would help keep a gun in the woods.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Post a WTB ad for ammunition here in the classifieds, they have never let me down.

Just be diligent when dealing w people. Make sure you are getting what they claim to have.

I bought quite a few 35 brass here and some .358 bullets, 180, 200 and 220 grain. Stuff is out there you just have to dig.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
PM invound

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Reloading is worth the effort. Hawk makes a thinner jacket bullet in .358" that might be the ticket for your Contender

People seem to either love or hate Hawk Bullets. Fury Bullets Company has gained alot of business from Hawk haters. I tested the Fury 220gr JFP in my 35 Rem and found it nearly a perfect fit for the cartridge.

Brass, bullets, dies, press, and powder can be more easily found than primers. One could post a WTB ad for a FTF primer transaction and there's a decent chance another campfire member will be close enough and happy enough to help out.

Medics bury their mistakes..
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kind of hard to stock up on every cartridge you don't use in case you may buy a gun it will fit sometime in the future.

smile

Bruce

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No Way Bruce, I've been doing that for years!
When my .250 Savage comes along, I'm set!
The 9.3x62 and .256 Newton got built AFTER the wealth of components fell upon me too.

;o)
Rex

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pre Covid I sold a 30/40 krag Winchester model 95 to a guy who was related to the Hornaday family.

He didn’t want any ammunition or components. But he stated at that time Hornaday would only run a few odd ball calibers a year. Then rotate to other ones the next year. I think it took them about 5 years to complete a cycle.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I do reload and have enough components to load a couple hundred rounds. However, no new ammo = no new brass. Maybe I need to figure out what cartridge can be used to form 35 Rem.

RAS

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Rex,

I'm in the same boat. In the last month I've bought 6.5C brass from you and 45 Colt from another member and I don't have a firearm in either cartridge.

I do however load for family and Friday my brother told me he picked up a 6.5C. I'll load the 45 Colt for my son-in-law's dad for a Christmas present to use in his Henry lever carbine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not loony enough, yet, to buy ammo on “approval” in case I buy a gun it fits, plus that would seem a bit selfish under the current situation. OTOH, if there’s one you know you want but just haven’t found “the One”, it makes perfect sense.

As someone said, there are a lot of .35s out there, but typically they don’t get shot a lot. The brass is somewhat unique, and I’m unaware of an easy path for conversion. That complicates manufacture too, I’d imagine. One reason the .350 Legend works commercially is that the brass begins with the same brass chunks as .223, up to the second or third draw step.

If I were thinking about a traditional medium-bore woods gun, I’d go for something based on the .30/30-.38/55-.375 Win case, or at least something Starline makes, so I’d throw the .444 on the pile too.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RSherburne
I do reload and have enough components to load a couple hundred rounds. However, no new ammo = no new brass. Maybe I need to figure out what cartridge can be used to form 35 Rem.

RAS

.35 Remington brass can be formed from common .308 Winchester brass. I know this due to having done it with a Redding Big Boss Press and Imperial sizing die wax.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.