Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Thanks for posting the 7x57 piece, always enjoy reading about the old round. Guess that’s why I have three of them.

I have three of them too. Two 700's (Classic and Mountain) and a Mauser. The Classic has killed a few pronghorns mostly with 139 grain interlocks. The other two are recent acquisitions. Too many 7mm Mausers have come and gone though.

I liked Finn's articles, no BS just good informative writing.

(7mm = 0.2756")

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Thanks for posting the 7x57 piece, always enjoy reading about the old round. Guess that’s why I have three of them.

I have three of them too. Two 700's (Classic and Mountain) and a Mauser. The Classic has killed a few pronghorns mostly with 139 grain interlocks. The other two are recent acquisitions. Too many 7mm Mausers have come and gone though.

I liked Finn's articles, no BS just good informative writing.

(7mm = 0.2756")

Same here, was always turning to his articles in the Rifleman he wrote. He had a good elk hunting article write up as well. Very much enjoyed his stuff.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
3 are as follows
1. CZ American 550 with beautiful wood
2. Ruger Hawkeye African.275 Rigby
3. Ruger #1

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 270 and 7x57 are both grand old hunting cartridges that do not have to answer to anyone. If one cannot get it done with either of these carridges, there is something seriously wrong with the nut squeezing the trigger.

Arcus Venator
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I can’t go there on .007” bullet diameter! Same with the .257’s and the current crop of .264/6.5mm’s. Make your choice on these bores or just go with all of the above in true loony fashion. I’ve made my choice in several 7mm cartridges. Cheers

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
I can’t go there on .007” bullet diameter! Same with the .257’s and the current crop of .264/6.5mm’s. Make your choice on these bores or just go with all of the above in true loony fashion. I’ve made my choice in several 7mm cartridges. Cheers

My preference is with the 7mm cartridges also. Probably partly due to several gun writers' influence. But as the first article shown in this thread, the diameter of the bullet wasn't so much the issue as the available bullets in the caliber - that's seems to be why the limit on 7mm being the smallest recommended. Today, it seems to me, the construction of bullets isn't as correlated with bullet diameter as it once was. Today you can find decent bullets in smaller calibers than previously available. I know that my search for appropriate bullets in 6mm and 25 caliber was particularly frustrating. Further I let go of my 264 Win Mag, thinking the 7mm RM had a much better selection of bullets.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always liked the 7x57, though my only rifle chambered for it was a Ruger 77 RSI I got sometime around 1990. Lovely little rifle, but not especially accurate. I used it as a deer stand rifle, and it work perfectly for that.

Not to be a spoil sport, but I suppose outside of a Mauser 98 sized action, I never found it fish nor foul. I'd sooner use a 270 in a LA, and a 7-08 (or better yet 308 grin) in a SA. The 7x57 certainly shines in an M98 or similarly sized action though, and of course there's no law against one in a LA, except some unwritten rifle loony code.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I've always liked the 7x57, though my only rifle chambered for it was a Ruger 77 RSI I got sometime around 1990. Lovely little rifle, but not especially accurate. I used it as a deer stand rifle, and it work perfectly for that.

Not to be a spoil sport, but I suppose outside of a Mauser 98 sized action, I never found it fish nor foul. I'd sooner use a 270 in a LA, and a 7-08 (or better yet 308 grin) in a SA. The 7x57 certainly shines in an M98 or similarly sized action though, and of course there's no law against one in a LA, except some unwritten rifle loony code.

I’ve kinda thought a 7x57 in a Kimber LA would be pretty slick for a fella wanting to shooting longer bullets. The 280’s in Kimbers are sorta limited in mag space. Probably not a concern to most but they’re fairly tight with long, pointy bullets. The 7x57 should be about right for that action.

Again, it’s a nitpick as my brother has a 280 SubAlpine 280 Ackley and it does fine for the most part but there isn’t much freedom for longer than SAAMI lengths.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

It's good to know that you would have approved of my Czech VZ-24 7x57. grin
grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am so far down the 270 rabbit hole, there is no hope for me. The 7x57's, 7-08's, 308's, 30-06's and all others have mostly gone down the road.

Had my Dad been not shooting one for 50 years, myself for 40, and been indoctrinated by JOC. Maybe I would have gotten stuck on another cartridge. grin

It has been a grand looney journey, but hand me a 22-250, 270, 338-06, and 416 Remington. I am set for the rest of my hunting days.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My hunting notes indicate I've hunted with seven 7x57's.

My first fascination with the cartridge was due to Jack O'Connor, though Finns article sure didn't hurt. Took my first animal with one around 1990, a pronghorn at around 375 yards, and since then have taken another 15 species of big game with the cartridge--perhaps not so oddly ranging from what O'Connor once noted it worked on, javelina to bull moose. Have used it North America in Old Mexico, several American states, Canada and Alaska, also used it considerably in Africa on animals from springbok and impala to kudu and wildebeest. (Have also used it both on a wild boar in the U.S. and warthogs on Africa.) A couple of the animals were large mule deer bucks, my favorite big game.

The rifles have been a pair of Ruger 1As (with which I took that first pronghorn), a walnut-stocked Remington 700 Mountain Rifle that was eventually turned into a "modern custom rifle" with a synthetic stock and Hart barrel, a Ruger 77 Mark II, a New Ultra Light Arms Model 20, and a rifle built built by Serengeti Rifles, on a Montana controlled-feed "short" action that was a sort of cross between a Mauser 98 and pre-'64 Model 70, then stocked in one of Serengeti's fancy-grade laminated stocks. The Serengeti is now owned by the Campfire's "RevMike," one of the first over a dozen rifles I started selling off 2-3 years ago to add to the retirement fund.

Dunno if I'll ever own another 7x57, but it sure does work!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"it sure does work". If I recall, you called it "magnificent" in an article. I'll have to go back in my Dad's boxes of magazines and verify that.

Last edited by roundoak; 08/24/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MD

I forgot that you had a write-up in Gack #3. I re-read it. Good stuff.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by roundoak
grin

"Brad Approved"... has a nice ring but is of zero value grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
grin

What, no respect for the sire of the .30/06 and grandfather of the .308?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

I’ve kinda thought a 7x57 in a Kimber LA would be pretty slick for a fella wanting to shooting longer bullets. The 280’s in Kimbers are sorta limited in mag space. Probably not a concern to most but they’re fairly tight with long, pointy bullets. The 7x57 should be about right for that action.

Again, it’s a nitpick as my brother has a 280 SubAlpine 280 Ackley and it does fine for the most part but there isn’t much freedom for longer than SAAMI lengths.

I built a 7x57 on a Montana 84L and it was a perfect fit. Probably should have kept that one! grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

What, no respect for the sire of the .30/06 and grandfather of the .308?

No, was speaking of my approval having zero value...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teeder

I built a 7x57 on a Montana 84L and it was a perfect fit. Probably should have kept that one! grin

Yaeh, but you've got an 84M MT in 7-08... I prefer the 7-08 over the 7x57, and the 84M over the 84L!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder

Yaeh, but you've got an 84M MT in 7-08... I prefer the 7-08 over the 7x57, and the 84M over the 84L!

Having that 7-08 is why I was ok selling the x57.
It's certainly my favorite!

Last edited by Teeder; 08/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That 7x57 from Teeder sure has been a hammer with 162s. Never had much luck with 7mm-08s.

Yup.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,487
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.