My hunting notes indicate I've hunted with seven 7x57's.

My first fascination with the cartridge was due to Jack O'Connor, though Finns article sure didn't hurt. Took my first animal with one around 1990, a pronghorn at around 375 yards, and since then have taken another 15 species of big game with the cartridge--perhaps not so oddly ranging from what O'Connor once noted it worked on, javelina to bull moose. Have used it North America in Old Mexico, several American states, Canada and Alaska, also used it considerably in Africa on animals from springbok and impala to kudu and wildebeest. (Have also used it both on a wild boar in the U.S. and warthogs on Africa.) A couple of the animals were large mule deer bucks, my favorite big game.

The rifles have been a pair of Ruger 1As (with which I took that first pronghorn), a walnut-stocked Remington 700 Mountain Rifle that was eventually turned into a "modern custom rifle" with a synthetic stock and Hart barrel, a Ruger 77 Mark II, a New Ultra Light Arms Model 20, and a rifle built built by Serengeti Rifles, on a Montana controlled-feed "short" action that was a sort of cross between a Mauser 98 and pre-'64 Model 70, then stocked in one of Serengeti's fancy-grade laminated stocks. The Serengeti is now owned by the Campfire's "RevMike," one of the first over a dozen rifles I started selling off 2-3 years ago to add to the retirement fund.

Dunno if I'll ever own another 7x57, but it sure does work!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck