Originally Posted by PJGunner
I noticed the comment on the 175 gr. Winchester round. It dies gripe me that Big W dropped that loading. I always thought their bullet with that "big blue nose" would be a better killer than Federal's 175 bullet. Both in round nose of course. Never did get a chance to find out as I never could find any to buy when I was looking.
PJ

I know that three-shot groups mean nothing, but this is pretty standard from my M1909 Argentine, 24 inch barrel of unknown make, bedded in an old B&C Carbelite stock. The bullets were pulled bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading, 175-grain Interlocks. The load is:

Case: Prvi
Primer: WLR
Powder: 43.5 gr. IMR4350
CBTO: 2.635"
Vel: about 2500 (never chronographed it)

It blows through pigs and leaves an exit wound about the size of a silver dollar (if you remember what they look like). Unfortunately I'm running low on that bullet and only the Good Lord knows when RMR will ever get caught up to the point of having any more for sale. So what I will probably do is work up a load using something in the 160-grain class. I have a bunch of Partitions, Grand Slams, Hot Cors, and four or five boxes of the old Speer Deep Curls (which, by the way, in the 175-grain version shoot really well in my Zastava). JB seems to like 160-grain bullets, and JOC said it was all his wife ever used in her 7x57, and in my mind those are pretty good endorsements.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown