Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I noticed the comment on the 175 gr. Winchester round. It dies gripe me that Big W dropped that loading. I always thought their bullet with that "big blue nose" would be a better killer than Federal's 175 bullet. Both in round nose of course. Never did get a chance to find out as I never could find any to buy when I was looking.
PJ

I know that three-shot groups mean nothing, but this is pretty standard from my M1909 Argentine, 24 inch barrel of unknown make, bedded in an old B&C Carbelite stock. The bullets were pulled bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading, 175-grain Interlocks. The load is:

Case: Prvi
Primer: WLR
Powder: 43.5 gr. IMR4350
CBTO: 2.635"
Vel: about 2500 (never chronographed it)

It blows through pigs and leaves an exit wound about the size of a silver dollar (if you remember what they look like). Unfortunately I'm running low on that bullet and only the Good Lord knows when RMR will ever get caught up to the point of having any more for sale. So what I will probably do is work up a load using something in the 160-grain class. I have a bunch of Partitions, Grand Slams, Hot Cors, and four or five boxes of the old Speer Deep Curls (which, by the way, in the 175-grain version shoot really well in my Zastava). JB seems to like 160-grain bullets, and JOC said it was all his wife ever used in her 7x57, and in my mind those are pretty good endorsements.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I hear you. The only animal I shot with the federal 175 gr. round nose was lost; found the next day after what the coyotes left. Wasn't much. Years later later I chronographed that load and it gave velocity well under what was advertised. I figure that bullet just zipped thought the deer and never opened up. I shot the deer right about 8 in the morning and the wife and I looked for that deer until the sun went down.

One 160 gr. bullets, I believe JOC also was quite fond of them. I do have a load using the 150 gr, Nosler Partition that shoots very nicely at 2800+ FPS from my M70 FWT and Ruger #1. The custom Mauser I had built has problems with hot loads. It hates them. I think that I have figured out what went wrong. I got the rifle, a commercial FN Mauser chambered to the .270. For some reason I quit shooting it very early on and just set it aside until it came time for the custom build. With factory level loads it shot OK but when they were getting into the warmish side that when thing went to hell. Got to thinking about it the other day and I'm thinking there is set back in the slots for the locking lugs and when the loads reach a certain level, the gun locks up tighter than a tick on a hound dpg. It take quite a bit of force to get the bolt open. What happened was as I was thinking on this, it came to me why I'd put the rifle aside. I was hunting deer close to home and got a shot at a deer. Missed and when I went to chamber a round I could not open the bolt. It had locked up with a factory load. Guess I'll take it to my gunsmith and see what he says but methinks a new receiver is what it will take to fix the problem. I hate to sacrifice one of my rifles to get another receiver for the gun. I have FN rifles in .270 and 30-06 so it can be done. I got that bad .270 as part of a trade. Too bad that brother in law is long time dead. I'd love to have a little discussion with him about the the rifle.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE