Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Looking at purchasing a used walnut stock that has previously been bedded Bedding job looks good but if I needed to remove it How much trouble would it be It’s on a model 70 long action factory stock

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's usually a lot of work and a PITA. BTDT.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Looking at purchasing a used walnut stock that has previously been bedded Bedding job looks good but if I needed to remove it How much trouble would it be It’s on a model 70 long action factory stock

Its about a 4 minute job. Those that say it's a PITA, just don't have the tools or knowhow...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941

Its about a 4 minute job. Those that say it's a PITA, just don't have the tools or knowhow...

GFY

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dremel + Turkish coffee?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Dremel + Turkish coffee?

Snort!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd like to know best way too. Have a Mod 70 Safari Express stock coming that I want to bed properly before it splits like the last one (I bought it that way, and boy was it split!).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I usually use my mill and dremel tool and it is not too bad (most of the time.)

Last edited by pullit; 08/24/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A mill is the best way of doing it this way you can keep a light cut and control your depth…

You can use a Drexel but it’s a pain if things go wonky

It takes more then 4 minutes - you really don’t want to deepen it, and you can ever so lightly clean it up with a mill while staying perfectly lined up.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Normally, I plop them in the mill and do it. On wood stocks that I don't want to risk damage by clamping in the mill vise (even with good padding) a soldering iron with a wide tip on the bedding material will soften it so it can be removed with a small scraping tool shaped to fit the area. I'll sometimes use a crafters mini heat gun...c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. wink

I mainly use these plastic automotive windshield trim sticks as a scraping tool...just reshape as needed. Only pic I have of one but you'll get the idea.

If you use a Dremel, get the flexible extension kit that allows you to hold the cutting tool like a pencil. The difference in control you'll have is amazing.

Good shootin' -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You only have to remove a small amount, just enough to let the new action drop in, then mix up some epoxy and re-bed it. Don't overthink it. No need to hog out a gross amount of the old bedding, especially if the action going in is the same make/model as it was previously bedded for. Not a "four minute job" but not especially difficult.

If there are areas that are already undersize for the new action, simply wash it with acetone to remove whatever amine blush may remain from the first bedding job (and residual oils) and scuff it to provide a good adhesion surface for the new epoxy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
You only have to remove a small amount, just enough to let the new action drop in, then mix up some epoxy and re-bed it. Don't overthink it. No need to hog out a gross amount of the old bedding, especially if the action going in is the same make/model as it was previously bedded for. Not a "four minute job" but not especially difficult.

If there are areas that are already undersize for the new action, simply wash it with acetone to remove whatever amine blush may remain from the first bedding job (and residual oils) and scuff it to provide a good adhesion surface for the new epoxy.
This ^^^

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Not a 4 minute job because you mother fu ckers are slow or have not done enough to be competent.. It's alright if it takes you longer, but it doesn't really have to if you have the right tools and know how.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here's a good example of what's being discussed.

This is a Model 70 Super Grade stock I finished up a couple weeks ago. This stock was the nicest piece of walnut I've ever seen on a factory gun. It had the original Winchester bedding blobbed in there with a lot of 'wrong'. In all fairness, Winchester certainly didn't want any bedding material showing on a stock like this so I give them kudos for that.

Factory Winchester bedding:

Carefully removing the factory bedding while preserving the original bedding height (to duplicate the correct height of the barrelled action in the stock) while working all of this out with the aluminum pillars I was installing, took some time. You don't have an egg timer set for some ridiculous time. wink

When doing something like this, I simply take whatever time it takes....to do it correctly.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have the tools, a mill is probably the most accurate way to do it. The fast way is with a Die grinder and some sharp cutters, but be careful so it doesn't get away from you. I never worried too much about taking out too much because you're going to be rebedding it anyway so what does it matter if you have to add a little more compound ?

If you just have basic tools, a set of curved and flat rasps will take care of it pretty quickly.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.